Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whitlock: Don't be so quick to make McNair a hero

ccsl2

True,but being a great QB is not the same as being a great man,father or husband.

The stories I heard while he was here soured me on him,but he was a fine QB and a warrior on the field.

I don't know what the dynamics were between he and his wife so I'm not going to make any assumptions.

I heard on the radio today that Whitlock was "hating" on Serena Williams or something. Too lazy to find article or visit Dan Patrick's site to repost his comments on the incident.

they talked about that on PTI

apparently Whitlock called her an underachiever for "only" having 11 solo majors

I heard on the radio today that Whitlock was "hating" on Serena Williams or something. Too lazy to find article or visit Dan Patrick's site to repost his comments on the incident.

The fat idiot (keep in mind I said fat) put down Serena's build - said she has 'blubber'.

http://www.faniq.com/blog/Jason-Whitlock-Thinks-That-Serena-Williams-Needs-To-Slim-Down-And-Is-An-Underachiever-Blog-26614

I don't think he was a great quarterback at all.

He was average at best.

Did he ever actually have to carry his offense? The answer is a resounding no.

I don't think much of Steve McNair, the quarterback nor the man and thus I really didn't give a damn about his shooting death (not for it of course, just don't care one way or the other given that it happened) but I didn't want to be the sourpuss in the obits threads. But at least now with this article, some other opinions about McNair can be voiced without hijacking the other threads.

Please my Bro,Looks at his stats.He was great.No matter what you what to think about him.

If you love Football.He put the Tittie's on the map!

If we/you love Skins.

Then you love football.

HTTR.:)

First off, I don't think Whitlock's article is that bad. He does make a good point. Did McNair make a bad decision? Seems like it. Does it affect his kids? Quite a bit. Was he selfish, or negligent to his duties as a father? That we really don't know.

That last point is where I have to take issue with him because I have to wonder how he knows what type of father McNair was. He says because McNair was at Sahel's place so much people thought he lived there, and that instead of messing with a 20 year old chick he should have been raising his kids. While on the surface, that would be the case, none of us know the dynamic of Steve and his wife's relationship. So I don't think its fair for him to jump off the handle making assumptions about McNairs personal life when no one really know the facts ... unless I missed something in the news.

Couples separate every day without involving the stress of divorce court, and maybe that's what happened with McNair, maybe McNair was running around behind his wife's back. But to pass judgment on the man, who, for all we know was a good man seems a bit reckless.

Whitlock has "hated" on Etan Thomas before and then criticized Brian Mitchell for defending him.

He's quick to criticize someone....as long as they're black.

I wouldn't call it garbage but then again I rarely read his articles and my experience with Whitlock is limited to his times guest hosting the Jim Rome program. The guy is known to make funny comments though, last week he said the Hangover wasn't funny and then everyone started calling in and going WTF lol

I think Whitlock is one of th ebest columnist out there...do I agree with everythin he wriets, hell no. But even when I don't agree wit him, I still want to read what he has to say. He sold me when he basically blased MLB and the issue of steroids.

Now that Serena article he wrote...that was some BS.

To me it seems like being a professional athlete would put a lot of stress on your family. Let's go through the major sports:

NFL, might be the easiest. Only on away travel for 8 weekends of the year (plus playoffs). Downside; grueling practice schedules, grueling treatment schedule, even though husband is working in the area he may not be home all the time or the coach may be crazy and lock all the players together in some hotel to "bond". Yes, but there are no hot-hangers-on aiming to get a piece of my husband?

NBA: 41 games away; long time away from home. Many groupies throwing themselves at husband. The stuff that came out of the Kobe trial must only be the tip of the iceberg (as well as his ratting out of Shaq).

MLB: 81 games away, long stretches on the other side of the country. Not sure how grueling of a schedule they have at home; this one may be the most "spouse friendly"? Although I think NFL could be because spouse is closer to home.

Seems like the best course of action would be to have family travel with on road trips; this could get expensive for those who are just scraping by.

There's a seedy underworld to the sports that we love to watch...

I think Whitlock is one of th ebest columnist out there...do I agree with everythin he wriets, hell no. But even when I don't agree wit him, I still want to read what he has to say. He sold me when he basically blased MLB and the issue of steroids.

Now that Serena article he wrote...that was some BS.

Well you know what?

As my Daddy would say "don't believe every thing that you read or see."

He was great.BTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueSetZvELc4&feature=related

R.I.P. Air

Here my opinion: Whitlock may be right as far as McNair's relationship not being a good personal decision, but even he admits that he doesn't know all the facts about McNair's relationship with his wife. Those facts may have had impact on his relationship with his children. I'm not condoning McNair's extramarital relationship, but I do believe it's wrong to make blatant generalizations without knowing all the facts.

Why is it always him writing these sort of stories against black athletes?

Simple; nobody can pull the race card on him.

He danced around his point, touched it, and danced away. After a murder, there's no point in bringing it up. It gets him readers. If he has an issue with this type of behavior, there's plenty of LIVING people he can pick on. This gets him attention.

That being said, he's correct IMO on all counts. Shame he waited until now to speak up.

It was during this game, that a usually mundane play was kinda outstanding...

You know how it is watching a game with the crew. There can be a lot going on around and you don't see every play or even sometimes parts of plays.

So the Tennessee Oilers had the ball and were taking it to the cowpies in dallass pretty good. We're all just loving it. I go grab a brew, I come back in the room and a running play had just gotten underway, it's just after the snap. It looked like a big scrum straight up the middle. The cowpie defenders were swarming, but were all stood up and going backwards. Yeah, a couple of the Oiler O-linemen had a hand in that, but the huge dude running the ball in the middle of all of it would just not be denied. It was a major-mosh, punishing, plowing forward of a slobberknocker run, the kind you expect from the likes of Eddie George of that time.

When the play is whistled dead I start to think "Eddie George is..." and then I see Air McNair disentangle from the pile.

WOw.

Ok, the run wasn't remarkable in conventional terms: it wasn't a scoring play, it didn't go for a huge chunk of yards, it wasn't a "pretty" run with acrobatic moves or gravity defying leaps and hurtles.

It was significant to me because I'd never seen that kind of pure power run from someone at the qb position. Maybe that went on in the leather helmet days but I missed those.

I dunno, maybe I personally made more of that simple play than it was, but I refuse to concede the euphoric "HAIL YEAH!" of the run and the subsequent shots of the cowpie defenders standing around gassed with hands on hips, looking around at each other.

Of course, I wasn't alone. All around me was

"OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!"

"GROUND MAC-NAIR UH-HUH"

"DOMINATION mutha&%#"

That's my favorite memory of McNair.

velocet

We get it, Whitlock. You love to be contrarian.

Who's to say he wasn't a good father? Does Whitlock have all the details?

Wasn't the point of the article clearly outlining the fact , how can Steve McNair be a good father when he is running around on his wife? Remember, they weren'teven legally seperated (if so I never read anywhere that said they were). If your cheating on your wife, and basically living with a 20 year old (which neighbors indicated they thought Steve lived their with his constant in and out) then how could McNair possibly be a good father to 4 young kids?

Listen, I respected Steve McNair a great deal ON the field.

But, I live close to Baltimore, and I've heard stories of about McNair here in Baltimore, and what might be a great player on the field doesn't mean he's a good player OFF of it.

I thought Whitlocks article made good points. He's not turning this tragic situation into some heartless article. He's just saying McNair shouldn't be looked at like a hero, and I certainly don't disagree with that.

Even though I somewhat agree with what he's saying, I don't think it's right to judge the man's ability to be a good father. You don't know what was going on with his marriage or what went on in his home.

And does he always have to try to over-dramatize in everything he writes? He writes like a pseudo-intellectual by adding in all this unnecessary "color/flare commentary" to his articles.

Wasn't the point of the article clearly outlining the fact , how can Steve McNair be a good father when he is running around on his wife? Remember, they weren'teven legally seperated (if so I never read anywhere that said they were). If your cheating on your wife, and basically living with a 20 year old (which neighbors indicated they thought Steve lived their with his constant in and out) then how could McNair possibly be a good father to 4 young kids?

These are still assumptions. I don't think we can pretend to know what was really going on in regards to whether or not he was a good parent.

I don't think he was a great quarterback at all.

He was average at best.

Did he ever actually have to carry his offense? The answer is a resounding no.

I don't think much of Steve McNair, the quarterback nor the man and thus I really didn't give a damn about his shooting death (not for it of course, just don't care one way or the other given that it happened) but I didn't want to be the sourpuss in the obits threads. But at least now with this article, some other opinions about McNair can be voiced without hijacking the other threads.

Average at best? Get real. He was definitely an above average qb.

These are still assumptions. I don't think we can pretend to know what was really going on in regards to whether or not he was a good parent.

Deleted based on Bang's comments. Having been cheated on and left "bitter party of one" need not reply to this thread :)

I think Whitlock must be speaking to the media and Jeff Fisher. I do not know anyone who thinks McNair is any kind of hero.

'Conversely not many Titans fans are likely to know someone who views Joe Gibbs or Darrel Green as a hero.

But you probably do, no?

I don't think it's fair or even appropriate to bring up all of someone's skeletons when they die. Don't speak ill of the dead, and all.

It doesn't serve any purpose except to wag the finger and pretend to be superior.

I wonder if Whitlock has any bad memories, or ever did anything he probably shouldn't have? I wonder if he'd like to be remembered for his every-day failings as a human being rather than his accomplishments?

No one is perfect, after all.

~Bang

Archived