Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Whitlock: Don't be so quick to make McNair a hero

ccsl2

The only issue I have with Whitlocks article is that we don't know the true nature of McNair and his wifes relationship. She could have put him out of the house and he could have been at the condo because he was out of the house. Couples seperate...that is life. Most couples who seperate the non custodial parent doesn't get to spend the same amount of time with the kids. We don't know how good or bad of a relationship he had with his kids. People can be heroes for many different reasons. But just because he failed at his marriage, like over 50% of americans do, should in no way diminish his accomplishments whether on the football field or with his charity work.

'Conversely not many Titans fans are likely to know someone who views Joe Gibbs or Darrel Green as a hero.

But you probably do, no?

The last sports hero I had was Len Bias, he taught me much about idolization. I now view them as entertainers and enjoy them as such. I admire the gift, not the person. As far as bringing up skeletons, this is where Whitlock nails it, the tone of his article IMO is "celebrate and analyze the life of the whole man" not just the parts that satisfy your hero worship. There is no doubt that this is a cautionary tale.

joke

At the funeral the minister was extolling the virtue and great deeds of the deceased.

After about ten minutes of this the widow told her son to go up there and see if that's your daddy in that casket;)

I think Whitlock is confusing the admiration people are having for McNair on the field for what went on, off the field. Nobody can disagree that McNair isn't without faults but to tear a man down in death is callous and very disrespectful.

As a man, all of us have made dumb mistakes. Some more costly than others, but this remembrance of McNair is about the player. How the player performed well? How tough he was as a player? If McNair wasn't an NFL QB, we wouldn't have heard anything about this senseless murder.

In no way am I advocating having a girlfriend while you have a wife. I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that calling out his faults does nothing but reinforce the crab theory that has plagued (sp) our ethnicity. :helmet:

I think Whitlock is confusing the admiration people are having for McNair on the field for what went on, off the field. Nobody can disagree that McNair isn't without faults but to tear a man down in death is callous and very disrespectful.

Perhaps so, but The way McNair went out sort of lends itself to dealing with it...I don't see it as tearing him down,but rather using him as a wakeup call

And of course Whitlock being Whitlock,he ain't gonna pass up the chance to boost his career.

Perhaps so, but The way McNair went out sort of lends itself to dealing with it...I don't see it as tearing him down,but rather using him as a wakeup call

And of course Whitlock being Whitlock,he ain't gonna pass up the chance to boost his career.

I'm all for wake-up calls, I just don't think using the McNair tragedy as a forum is the way to go. :helmet:

Archived