Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins D ranked 3rd by Sportsroids

phokus

What no Cowboy defense ranked in the top ten? How can that be possible? AM I dreaming or is this for real? It is about time we have some respect shown to our defense. I was beginning to think that every ranking out there had us ranked lower than the Cowboys based on their name alone.

The skins rank makes sense on paper. Gmen are going to be tough with Osi coming back and Pitt won't lose a step. If the Skins get some pass rush they could supplant the Gmen at #2, and it makes little sense why the Titans are still ranked in the top 10 without Big Al.

You're right about the G-men.. They are a tough defense that we can't seem to crack. And they only got better with the addition of Canty and Osi coming back. The ultimate goal for the Redskins this year is figuring out a way to exploit the Giant's weaknesses. We've managed to expose the cowboys and eagles defenses but the giants have had our number. With Dockery coming back we might be able to be more physocal than them in the run game. Their secondary is suspect too so if pur passing game gets prolific then we will finally make a run for the East title this year.

Until Carlos "Stone Hands" Rogers develops into a more sure-handed CB, he will not be our best. While covering receivers is half the battle, the other is being able to play the ball, which Rogers can't do.

If you can't tell, I'm still a little bitter about the drop he had on the sure pick 6 against the Steelers that would have completely turned the momentum of that game.

Yawn. Any team we face next year Rogers will be covering their #1.

Until Carlos "Stone Hands" Rogers develops into a more sure-handed CB, he will not be our best. While covering receivers is half the battle, the other is being able to play the ball, which Rogers can't do.

If you can't tell, I'm still a little bitter about the drop he had on the sure pick 6 against the Steelers that would have completely turned the momentum of that game.

I'm still sick over the 05 playoff game againts the seahawks were he drop a pic six that would have put us up ten to zero that could have possibly changed the outcome of that game.

Rogers does pretty much everything better than Hall except catch the ball. Granted, he needs to improve that, but he's much more reliable in coverage than Hall, and he's definitely more physical as well.

EDIT: And whoever, you think is better, they are both better than Smoot.

The ability to catch the football is um kinda like a big deal...

I kinda agree though.

When Rogers is playing well he one of the best in the East.

But, when he is playing poorly like he did towards the end of the season it was ugly.

3 plays are stuck in my memory:

the long pass against the Ravens after we had just scored

complelely out of position

the TD pass he gave up to Chris Henry against the Bengals, he didn't even touch Henry the enitre play and wasn't close when Henry made the catch

-its one of the easiest TD passes i can remember

and the TD pass to Holmes against Pittsburgh, maybe it was partially scheme but off coverage near the goalline doesn't make much sense

I have a feeling that Hall's is gonna return to probowl form, with Jerry Gray coaching him i think he'll be more fundamentally sound.

I can't wait for that pass rush to get after folks, the DBs are gonna make some plays this season.

HTTR!

On ESPN Fantesy rankings we are not in the top 5. I feel we should defenetly be between 3-5!!

Fantasy is about turnmovers. we dont force turnovers. They arent going to get fantasy respect until they do that.

And id rather have league respect then fantasy respect. I will take a W by the Skins then any win by a fantasy team.

We were 4th in total defense last year. We didnt lose anyone besides Springs and he wasnt really playing last year. We upgraded our defensive line. This will improve our all around defense. I can easily see us dropping down to only giving up around 250 yards per game(from 289 last year) when we get a sack or 2 more a game and no one running on us. That would have put us 2nd last year behind Pittsburgh.

Definitely one of the tops this year and as we know~ Defense wins Championships!!

4th is WAY too high for the Ravens without the two pieces you mentioned.

:2cents:

Yeah, there's not many good linebackers in Baltimore. I don't know how we will ever replace Bart Scott. And that new coaching staff didn't look so hot last year; I can't imagine that they would ever be able to replace Rex Ryan.

True....but the Eagles are also likely to be without the mastermind behind their stifling Defense, Jim Johnson......whom i'd like to wish a healthy and speedy recovery from his bout with Cancer.

The Eagles as we also know lost Dawkins, who was probably the 2nd closest thing to a Coach on that Defense.....so, it's going to be interesting to see how they perform this year with two losses that they'll have to overcome.

Don't sleep on the fact that losing Jim Johnson will be a major blow to that defensive squad also!

You couldn't be more correct. Johnson takes average talent and gets the most out of them. From what I hear from someone with knowledge, (my friends uncle is a good friend of JJ) he's not doing so well. Spinal cancer is pretty serious. I wish him a speedy recover, but I don't want him back on their sideline because the man is defensive guru.

If we can getsome productiong from our WR's this season, and our D remains constant...we stand to finish well. Springs played well for us... when he played. I hope our secondary can stay tight and force some turnovers. I hope we dont blitz our secondary as much.

He can play the ball, he just can't hold onto it once he does. And coverage is more than "half the battle"...I'd be ecstatic if we had two CBs who never had passes completed on them yet only had one or two INTS a season.

imagine what we would be ranked if we could sack the QB consistently. Sure big Al is going to get that push but like usual the others will have to still beat their men. And its the same core as last year for the most part. We need sacks to take the next step. Since we dont get turnovers, sacks are our next best friend. Having a great D these past 4 years yet 500 teams tells me we need to unleash the D more to help our floundering offense, take some chances. Our scheme works but doesnt steal games nor score points.

I dont know why our blitz always gets picked up but when teams do it to us, its a jail break on jason. Teams figured out our blitz long ago. Having our SAM in a 3 point stance bull rushing in his lane didnt really work either. I bet that is pretty much Orakpo this next year, just like Washington the past few. Ineffective because of the basic and predictable blitz scheme.

"They also will enjoy the employment of the hard hitting Safety LaRon Landry."

what is it with all these writers trying to come up with cute structure like they are creative writers and not simple reporters of the facts?

2 words:

budget cuts

Archived