Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins D ranked 3rd by Sportsroids

phokus

Hope this hasn't been posted already - a search proved fruitless.

http://sportsroids.com/2009/06/24/top-ranked-defenses-in-nfl-for-2009-season/

3. Redskins- BIG AL is the final word on this debate. This guy is a monster, and he should fit in well here. They have resigned Deangelo Hall. They however lost shawn springs to NE but they still have Veteran CB Fred Smoot. They also will enjoy the employment of the hard hitting Safety LaRon Landry. Brian Orakpo may be a huge asset this season or he might not make a big impact, we will have to wait and see. If Orakpo steps up this season this may the toughest team to run against in the NFL this season.

There is no way the Giants should be #2. The Ravens should be there.

WOOO 1,000th post!

Their D-line is overkill with Osi, Tuck and Kiwinuka, their D solely because of their line will always get mentioned in the top of the crop. Their secondary may be suspect, but that D-line is anything but...

Agreed -and Eagles D should be in there somewhere too, but it's nice to see some optimistic respect finally.

True....but the Eagles are also likely to be without the mastermind behind their stifling Defense, Jim Johnson......whom i'd like to wish a healthy and speedy recovery from his bout with Cancer.

The Eagles as we also know lost Dawkins, who was probably the 2nd closest thing to a Coach on that Defense.....so, it's going to be interesting to see how they perform this year with two losses that they'll have to overcome.

Don't sleep on the fact that losing Jim Johnson will be a major blow to that defensive squad also!

what are the Packers doing in the top 10? their D was horrible last year, and they are switching to a 3-4 with a rookie NT. If everything pans out, sure maybe I would consider them a top 10 D, but they have too many "ifs" to be considered top 10 IMO.

I dont put too much stock in these things, but it's nice to see that people think we might have a top 5 D, and we will need it to, until I see this offense move the ball consistently into the red zone, we are going to need as much help from the D as we can get.

They mentioned Hall and Smoot but not our best corner?

Until Carlos "Stone Hands" Rogers develops into a more sure-handed CB, he will not be our best. While covering receivers is half the battle, the other is being able to play the ball, which Rogers can't do.

If you can't tell, I'm still a little bitter about the drop he had on the sure pick 6 against the Steelers that would have completely turned the momentum of that game.

Until Carlos "Stone Hands" Rogers develops into a more sure-handed CB, he will not be our best. While covering receivers is half the battle, the other is being able to play the ball, which Rogers can't do.

If you can't tell, I'm still a little bitter about the drop he had on the sure pick 6 against the Steelers that would have completely turned the momentum of that game.

Rogers does pretty much everything better than Hall except catch the ball. Granted, he needs to improve that, but he's much more reliable in coverage than Hall, and he's definitely more physical as well.

EDIT: And whoever, you think is better, they are both better than Smoot.

let's just hope that Haynesworth's trial doesn't result in his suspension by Roger Goodell for 4-8 games of the regular season.

this angle on things has been underplayed in the media and with fans.

Haynesworth's possible driving with a suspended license at 100mph and putting someone in the hospital who is now paralyzed is a serious matter.

For all of what Plaxico Burress is charged with, he in the end only hurt himself.

Their D-line is overkill with Osi, Tuck and Kiwinuka, their D solely because of their line will always get mentioned in the top of the crop. Their secondary may be suspect, but that D-line is anything but...

You forgot about Canty.

The reason the Ravens are number two is because they lost their DC and Bart Scott. The last time the Ravens lost their DC, they went from 4th in the league to the 20's.

True....but the Eagles are also likely to be without the mastermind behind their stifling Defense, Jim Johnson....

Don't sleep on the fact that losing Jim Johnson will be a major blow to that defensive squad also!

Losing Greg didn't hurt the skins too much. But, Glad to see they are getting some respect.

You forgot about Canty.

The reason the Ravens are number two is because they lost their DC and Bart Scott. The last time the Ravens lost their DC, they went from 4th in the league to the 20's.

Actually in 2004, under Mike Nolan, the Ravens were the sixth rated defense and rose to the fifth rated defense in 2005 when Rex Ryan was promoted to DC. (They also allowed 30 fewer points in that year than the year before.)

You are referring to the transition from Marvin Lewis to Mike Nolan, but you have to remember that they didn't just lose a DC. In 2002 the Ravens had to cut: Sam Adams, Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe, Jamie Sharper, Jermaine Lewis, Tony Siragusa, and many other players. Yes, they lost their defensive coordinator, but there were other factors as well.

The skins rank makes sense on paper. Gmen are going to be tough with Osi coming back and Pitt won't lose a step. If the Skins get some pass rush they could supplant the Gmen at #2, and it makes little sense why the Titans are still ranked in the top 10 without Big Al.

let's just hope that Haynesworth's trial doesn't result in his suspension by Roger Goodell for 4-8 games of the regular season.

this angle on things has been underplayed in the media and with fans.

Haynesworth's possible driving with a suspended license at 100mph and putting someone in the hospital who is now paralyzed is a serious matter.

For all of what Plaxico Burress is charged with, he in the end only hurt himself.

since when did the person in the accident with Haynseworth become Paralyzed? I had not heard that, unless it was AFTER he signed a 100 million dollar contract.

Also, there was no alcohol or drugs involved in the car wreck. It was an ACCIDENT. If he was speeding then he is at fault but also I have not heard of him driving over 100 miles per hour. I only heard that he was charged with reckless driving.

Where are you getting your information from? Please share.

for some reason the Ravens just always seem to have a great defense. Whoever they plug into their system just plays great.

Of course Ray Lewis has something to do with that and Terrell Suggs has something to do with that and they have a couple of solid defensive linemen and landry at safety.

I think the real reason they have done well is because they take defense seriously. Its their bread and butter. They have been drafting defensive linemen and linebackers for years now like the Skins draft wide receivers and safeties.

This should be all the evidence you need that defense BEGINS with the line and works its way back to the secondary instead of the other way around, as Greg Williams always chose to believe as a philosphy.

Thank Gawd we are now drafting defensive linemen and linebackers and going out into free agency after younger defensive linemen as well. Perhaps this is the year we supplant the Ravens as one of the top 3 defenses in the NFL.

Actually Carlos "Stone Hands" Rogers is indeed our best corner on the Washington Redskins. If covering receivers are half the battle, I must assume you mean physical/tackling is the other 50% correct? If DB's could catch.......they would be playing along side Santana Moss.

Rogers does pretty much everything better than Hall except catch the ball. Granted, he needs to improve that, but he's much more reliable in coverage than Hall, and he's definitely more physical as well.

EDIT: And whoever, you think is better, they are both better than Smoot.

The only thing that Carlos "No D" Rogers does better than D. Hall is get burned.

And I'm not a Hall fan.

I put these pre season rankings right up with my fantasy football pre draft rankings.......I think I had Tom Brady ranked about 3rd.....well, he really didn't get me a lot of points last year....lets see what happens on the field. I predict good things for the D, but I cannot predict injuries, on field brain farts and anything else....newsflash..either can the guys writing this crap

HTTR

Actually in 2004, under Mike Nolan, the Ravens were the sixth rated defense and rose to the fifth rated defense in 2005 when Rex Ryan was promoted to DC. (They also allowed 30 fewer points in that year than the year before.)

You are referring to the transition from Marvin Lewis to Mike Nolan, but you have to remember that they didn't just lose a DC. In 2002 the Ravens had to cut: Sam Adams, Rod Woodson, Shannon Sharpe, Jamie Sharper, Jermaine Lewis, Tony Siragusa, and many other players. Yes, they lost their defensive coordinator, but there were other factors as well.

I keep forgetting about Mike Nolan's stint in Baltimore.

Here is another reason then. While other teams added to their D, the Ravens lost one and the DC. It really don't matter because as long as Reed is back there aint nobody trying to go deep on them.

I keep forgetting about Mike Nolan's stint in Baltimore.

Here is another reason then. While other teams added to their D, the Ravens lost one and the DC. It really don't matter because as long as Reed is back there aint nobody trying to go deep on them.

The Ravens did add to their defense, and they are not the only team to lose one starter on that side of the ball.

Archived