Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT.com - Portis denies any Current Problems with Zorn

WeThreeKingsRuleU

Why did the OP say "this IS a PFT..." as in there is something wrong. PFT is a solid reliabile source.

Where there is smoke, there is typically fire. I don't know whats going on but I sure as hell hope Portis and Zorn can work together on a professional level and both put their differences aside to get us a championship!!!

Why did the OP say "this IS a PFT..." as in there is something wrong. PFT is a solid reliabile source.

I'm sorry but PFT is one of the LEAST reliable sources on the net and has been for years. It has only begun getting better over the last year or two but the past couple months have been a major step in the opposite direction. Perhaps it is wrong to hold the entire site accountable for Florio's mess but to call that site solid or reliable is laughable.

How very unprofessional of him. This guy is basically like that gossipy woman in your office that hears "something" and twists it and turns it into something else. He's a clown who gets more press than he really should ever receive. :doh:

I'm sorry but PFT is one of the LEAST reliable sources on the net and has been for years. It has only begun getting better over the last year or two but the past couple months have been a major step in the opposite direction. Perhaps it is wrong to hold the entire site accountable for Florio's mess but to call that site solid or reliable is laughable.

Thats because people aren't interpreting the information posted correctly.

Its simply a blog site for reporters to posted rumblings they here from their inside sources. These people aren't off the street that have no NFL connections. The stuff they here is coming from team sources. How accurate THOSE sources are is another story, but from my experience, they seem to be on the ball.

What sporting news source has been flawless? How often is PFT wrong?

I really doubt that either of them would admit it publicly if it were true.

It's been seen and heard by many in Redskin nation. Portis' mouthiness and ego has become a staple of this team, good or bad.

He's had documented clashes with coaches over the years. The portis fanboys on this site all say that it's a conspiracy against #26, or that Portis is "The only one on this team who plays with heart", or my personal favorite "We could not win without him".

I'm glad our fans have such faith in our team. I myself would find it pathetic if Portis was truly our only offensive weapon. (And he isn't. If we had a QB who could decently throw the ball, or better yet, playcalling that doesnt look like it's out of a high school playbook, we would see other weapons emerge). I like the fact that the homers have completley forgotten about Ladell Betts (who played just like CP did in 2006), and also forgot about Cooley and Santana Moss, both who put up big games despite the ineptitude surrounding them.

Portis discussions on this board are pointless. The redskins are never going to admit the problem they have with him. The homers will always deny it even if they did confirm it.

It reminds me of how this board used to be die hard over Jason Campbell and defended him NO MATTER WHAT, or how piss poor he played on Sunday. Then, they all saw how much JC really did suck, and then the same group of posters were all of a sudden thrilled when we found out that the skins were trying to replace Campbell.

I only hope the die hard Portis supporters change their ways like the aforementioned. How he puts this team and coaches down year after year is inexcusable. How much does he have to do before people wise up about him?

It's been seen and heard by many in Redskin nation. Portis' mouthiness and ego has become a staple of this team, good or bad.

Bingo! Believe what you want, but a source reporting about Portis mouthing off and not being completely cooperative is NOT news. Portis has kind of given himself this label. I still love Portis the player, but I'm not sure about how he is with Zorn. And they aren't going to go public with is mid summer.

PFT is genius. They post the unfounded rumor, get the publicity from it, then they post the article that squashes the rumor and get more publicity. It's like that episode of Sarah Silverman where the same company is producing the fat-free chips, the toilet paper, and the diarrhea medicine.

Bingo! Believe what you want, but a source reporting about Portis mouthing off and not being completely cooperative is NOT news. Portis has kind of given himself this label. I still love Portis the player, but I'm not sure about how he is with Zorn. And they aren't going to go public with is mid summer.

While Clinton Portis does have a history of having a big mouth, I don't think he's ever shown the blatant disrespect he's given to Jim Zorn, except for the one radio interview where he pretty much blasted Brandon Lloyd (only to pretend to be chummy with him in later interviews). I know he complained about preseason and whatnot, and made some bonehead comments about wishing he had an offensive line, but he never made it as personal as this time around.

Have the people at PFT always been such A-holes? They can't even admit they were wrong. It's just "But our sources said so!!!"

Check your damn sources.

Well, let's walk through this...

Let's say for the sake of argument that a front-office member of the Redskins is the source for this article. If PFT receives word from that person that CP and Zorn have a rift and they report it...they aren't "wrong".

The source could be wrong or Portis could be lying, but PFT is not wrong...they are just the messenger here.

Well, let's walk through this...

Let's say for the sake of argument that a front-office member of the Redskins is the source for this article. If PFT receives word from that person that CP and Zorn have a rift and they report it...they aren't "wrong".

The source could be wrong or Portis could be lying, but PFT is not wrong...they are just the messenger here.

The title of that article was not "Source claims Portis becoming a major problem for Zorn." It was "Portis becoming a major problem for Zorn."

They reported it as if it was fact, when clearly it was not entirely true. PFT needs to stop and consider the fact that their sources, the same sources that said Landry wanted to be traded, are not supplying PFT with any concrete facts.

I study journalism. This is not journalism, this is some TMZ, tabloid-type, rumor crap.

will blindly accept the version of the events being told by Portis and quarterback Jason Campbell and anyone else with a vested interest in keeping the team’s dirty laundry in the locker room.

So in other words, no matter what bad things or negative rumors get spread about any of the players or coaches, don't berlieve any of their denials...just believe Florio's unnamed sources instead.

Yeah, that sounds like a good plan :thumbsup:

I realize that but they are reporting what they have been told. And Portis responded so they reported that as well. Whats the problem?

The problem was that they should have left it with Portis' statements rather than come back with the weak defending of the previous statements. They shouldn't need defending if they feel it is true. Just by letting it stand should be good enough, because the truth will eventually be known. The fact that they feel the need to be defensive doesn't give me a lot of confidence in what they reported. Taking a shot at "bloggers" (Which bloggers he's talking about is unknown. Elfin? He's a beat writer. He isn't supposed to be biased, and he hasn't shown much bias either way. Terl? The only thing he posted on the subject was a quote from Elfin's story.) is really uncalled for.

The title of that article was not "Source claims Portis becoming a major problem for Zorn." It was "Portis becoming a major problem for Zorn."

They reported it as if it was fact, when clearly it was not entirely true. PFT needs to stop and consider the fact that their sources, the same sources that said Landry wanted to be traded, are not supplying PFT with any concrete facts.

I study journalism. This is not journalism, this is some TMZ, tabloid-type, rumor crap.

I studied journalism as well. A headline or title is just that. It's there to grab your attention. Later in the article, it's clear that he has sources.

Again, whether you want to believe his sources is completely up to you. Also, none of this would be a "fact" even if he NAMED a source. It's still speculation that CP's antics are actually causing a headache for Zorn...

The fact is, more often than not, where there is smoke there is fire. It's very possible that CP and Zorn have never disagreed. I, however, have taken the things I've seen (Lions game), heard (last year's radio interview), and read (numerous accounts) and come to my own conclusion. That conclusion is that Zorn and Portis don't get along all that well.

Even though Zorn is unproven. He's the head coach and I will always feel that any player should listen to his head coach and give him full respect.

He's had documented clashes with coaches over the years. The portis fanboys on this site all say that it's a conspiracy against #26, or that Portis is "The only one on this team who plays with heart", or my personal favorite "We could not win without him".

I'm glad our fans have such faith in our team. I myself would find it pathetic if Portis was truly our only offensive weapon. (And he isn't. If we had a QB who could decently throw the ball, or better yet, playcalling that doesnt look like it's out of a high school playbook, we would see other weapons emerge). I like the fact that the homers have completley forgotten about Ladell Betts (who played just like CP did in 2006), and also forgot about Cooley and Santana Moss, both who put up big games despite the ineptitude surrounding them.

Portis discussions on this board are pointless. The redskins are never going to admit the problem they have with him. The homers will always deny it even if they did confirm it.

It reminds me of how this board used to be die hard over Jason Campbell and defended him NO MATTER WHAT, or how piss poor he played on Sunday. Then, they all saw how much JC really did suck, and then the same group of posters were all of a sudden thrilled when we found out that the skins were trying to replace Campbell.

I only hope the die hard Portis supporters change their ways like the aforementioned. How he puts this team and coaches down year after year is inexcusable. How much does he have to do before people wise up about him?

Maybe because he IS the main offensive weapon on our offense? He is one of the best Redskins rushers of all time, yes he has some off-field issues but does that warrent your clear dislike of him? I hope YOU change your ways because fans like you need to wake up and realize how much of an impact he has on offense instead of trying to run him out of town for small comments he makes because he is a little blunt.

Exactly. The only jokers on this thread who are even some-what defending florio right now are the ones that have had issues with Portis in the past, this is a P.O.S 11-year old write up because Portis threw some sand at his crotch. Yes Portis has said things in the past, but they are no where near Team destructive, now, does it ruffle some feathers? yes. But he still does his job(very very well) and moves on with football.

The fact is, more often than not, where there is smoke there is fire. It's very possible that CP and Zorn have never disagreed. I, however, have taken the things I've seen (Lions game), heard (last year's radio interview), and read (numerous accounts) and come to my own conclusion. That conclusion is that Zorn and Portis don't get along all that well.

By that logic, you could say the same of Joe Gibbs and Portis. Honestly, I think Portis is a very moody player and when things aren't going perfectly for him he's going to say ****. The problem is, he does it in a public forum.

I think they get along as fine as a player like that is going to get along with a head coach considering the ups and downs of this team. If things are going well, you aren't going to hear anything. If things aren't going too well, Portis is going to vent in public. He's done it in the past and he's likely to do it in the future. A head coach isn't going to be perfectly happy with that, but as long as they still have an open line of communication, it should be fine.

By that logic, you could say the same of Joe Gibbs and Portis. Honestly, I think Portis is a very moody player and when things aren't going perfectly for him he's going to say ****. The problem is, he does it in a public forum.

I think they get along as fine as a player like that is going to get along with a head coach considering the ups and downs of this team. If things are going well, you aren't going to hear anything. If things aren't going too well, Portis is going to vent in public. He's done it in the past and he's likely to do it in the future. A head coach isn't going to be perfectly happy with that, but as long as they still have an open line of communication, it should be fine.

I don't think it's the end of the world...I just don't think his denial of the events is true. I would agree that I think Gibbs and CP disagreed at times too. CP comes off as spoiled and unfiltered. He is who he is, I just wish he kept things in-house.

It doesn't help that his biggest fan always wears a suit and writes the checks.

I'm gonna rewrite the PFT blurb using its existing logic, and see how it sounds:

PFT reporter Mike Florio has denied our recent report that he has demonstrated unprofessionalism by reporting unsubstantiated rumor and personal agendas as fact.

“How this perception came about, I have no idea,” Florio told David Elfin of the Washington Times. “That's not happening. There’s no beef between me and the Redskins. We’re on good terms at this present moment. There’s no problem.”

Florio admitted that there was a past “flareup” with the Redskins, but that it happened “a long time ago.” Florio also told Elfin that we (as in the Redskins organization) are trying to make trouble where none exists.

Florio, we honestly don’t give a ****. We use the stuff we get that we think our fans should know about. And when we know for fact that no credible source could have possibly told you about any of your alledged "scoops" since none of them have actually occurred and another journalist corroborates the notion that you have no regard for the truth or journalistic integrity, then it’s something we’re going to share with our fans.

And we assume that some Redskins fans (including some bloggers who lack the ability to be objective because they’re more concerned about seeing their names in the headlines than they are about getting to the truth) will blindly accept the version of the events being told by the Florios and PFTs of the world and anyone else with a vested interest in earning a living by claiming to air a team’s dirty laundry in the press.

These writers and bloggers have an even greater incentive to keep any rumored Portis-Zorn problems in the press if, as it appears, the player and the coach are actually in good terms with one another.

“Me and Coach [Joe] Gibbs had a great relationship,” Portis said. “We talked more than me and Coach Zorn do, but lately me and Coach Zorn been talking, trying to get on the same page. Things been going good. He understand me and I understand him.”

This implies that, if there were problems, these problems between the two men were most definitely in the past, and not anything that happened during OTAs...and definitely not something that is only now newsworthy in June of 2009. And it’s possible (baseless speculation alert) that Florio now understands that, if Zorn and Portis go on to show they do have a good working relationship, Florio's articles to the contrary might not be too good for his already-questionable reputation or his career. So much better for Florio to insist that his reports are far more accurate than direct quotes from the actual parties involved.

Yeah, I'm sure that would sound just as logical and professional to Florio and his supporters if the Redskins had posted this on their site lol...

I don't know if this has been mentioned already, but PFT.com is now being blamed for spreading a false rumor that Brett Farve had already signed a deal with the Vikings.:doh:

Seems like PFT is making a concerted effort to ratchet up their BS factor to get attention. And their BS factor was already very high.

Archived