Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UNCONFIRMED: Former Balt Sun columnist replaces LaCanfora

AdmiralWaugh

He actually isn't originally from Baltimore...LaCanfora was.

The point is he is a sportswriter for the sun covering the Ravens/Orioles. Coincidence?

Okay I'm dense. What are you insinuating? That the Post purposefully hires Baltimore writers to cover the Redskins because... what? They'll be antagonistic to the Redskins because they are loyal to the team they covered before? So they'll write bad stuff about the Redskins and the Post can get back at them in their ongoing feud? Is that your theory?

Rick Maese, Baltimore Sun. April 13, 2007.

I know it's difficult to be a sports fan some days. From the cheap seats, the frustration can easily drip off your furrowed brow into a giant puddle of helplessness.

The owner refuses to pay the big contract. The general manager won't make the big trade. The player can't make the big play. It's all one big headache, right?

There's only one real solution : Find someone who has it worse and revel in his pain. And, trust me, for this little self-esteem boost, Baltimore has the best seats possible. Any sports fan here who can find fulfillment from someone else's frustration need only poke his head out onto the beltway and look south.

Suggested new motto for Washington: "We put amateurism back into professional sports."

I post this for the final line: So Philly, Seattle, Milwaukee, Tampa, and even Baltimore, you may think you know suffering, but pro teams in Washington are rewriting the book. This year, you don't need to rely solely on The New Republic to digest the damage wrought in our nation's capital. It has seeped onto the sports pages, too.

Sounds like Maese will be real objective about the Redskins.

I really don't get the WP, it seems like whenever they have someone good covering the Redskins beat, they completely blow it by hiring some jaded writer whose sole purpose in covering the beat will become ostracizing the team and FO and therefore not giving us what we want which is some good and real “insider” information or a scoop from time to time. Ever since they removed Maske, it’s been getting progressively worse. I also don’t get why big companies like SI and NFLN would hire the likes of Nunyo and JLC but whatever.

I know it's difficult to be a sports fan some days. From the cheap seats, the frustration can easily drip off your furrowed brow into a giant puddle of helplessness.

The owner refuses to pay the big contract. The general manager won't make the big trade. The player can't make the big play. It's all one big headache, right?

There's only one real solution : Find someone who has it worse and revel in his pain. And, trust me, for this little self-esteem boost, Baltimore has the best seats possible. Any sports fan here who can find fulfillment from someone else's frustration need only poke his head out onto the beltway and look south.

Suggested new motto for Washington: "We put amateurism back into professional sports."

I post this for the final line: So Philly, Seattle, Milwaukee, Tampa, and even Baltimore, you may think you know suffering, but pro teams in Washington are rewriting the book. This year, you don't need to rely solely on The New Republic to digest the damage wrought in our nation's capital. It has seeped onto the sports pages, too.

Mooney FTW

Let's see. When he wrote that in April 2007, the Redskins were coming off a 5-11 record in 2006.

The Washington Nationals were just beginning their 2007 season, after a 71-91 season the year before.

The Washington Caps were in the midst of a 28-40-14 season.

The Washington Wizards were wrapping up a mediocre 41-41 record.

Sounds like fact-based reporting to me...

Maese rarely wrote about the Ravens. Most of his stuff was about trash sports, Lady Terps, other stuff to fill sports pages when not much else was going on. He never seemed to have an agenda, pro-Raven/Orioles or anti-. His biggest claim to fame was getting canned by the Sunpapers a month or so ago via text message - no phone call, no meeting - while covering an Orioles game in LA.

What surprises me is that, as a mere cub reporter, how did he land the Redskins beat job with the Post?

Maese is a smarmy douchebag. But that's apparently the main criteria the Washington Post is looking for when filling the Redskins Beat Writer position. Enjoy!

Did you think he was smarmy in the post you provided?

I don't care if this guy is a fan or not. Who needs a "Redskins Bob" (L. Michael) lacky spreading disinformation and team directed manlove for Snyders own financial purposes. Accuracy, inside info and reasonably intelligent reflection and football insight on various aspects of the team are what matter to me. I'm willing to give this guy a shot, and see how he does. We are probably better off if this guy doesn't have a Redskins emblem tattooed on his neck, and we certainly don't want a guy who seemingly alienates himself from the team either by hating on it (JLC). Jury is out.

Hard for me to comment on this since I can't stop laughing about a site that claims there is such a thing as "Sports Journalism" :rubeyes:

Guess they must be referring to the definition "writing that reflects superficial thought and research, a popular slant, and hurried composition, conceived of as exemplifying topical newspaper or popular magazine writing as distinguished from scholarly writing: He calls himself a historian, but his books are mere journalism." :allhail:

Hard for me to comment on this since I can't stop laughing about a site that claims there is such a thing as "Sports Journalism" :rubeyes:

Guess they must be referring to the definition "writing that reflects superficial thought and research, a popular slant, and hurried composition, conceived of as exemplifying topical newspaper or popular magazine writing as distinguished from scholarly writing: He calls himself a historian, but his books are mere journalism."

That's pretty much how I feel about ALL journalism. I think they should be forced to include their political party under their name in every article, or in JLC's case, his favorite team:

Writer: Jason La Canfora, Ravens

That way the writer wouldn't feel the need to inject every ounce of their bias into the article since we'd all already know what side he/she's on. There are few things that make me angrier as far as "news" goes.

That's pretty much how I feel about ALL journalism. I think they should be forced to include their political party under their name in every article, or in JLC's case, his favorite team:

Writer: Jason La Canfora, Ravens

That way the writer wouldn't feel the need to inject every ounce of their bias into the article since we'd all already know what side he/she's on. There are few things that make me angrier as far as "news" goes.

Don't read newspapers or magazines then, watch no television newscasts, don't listen to radio news either. Just gather facts about the world on your own...

Archived