Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Top Five Greatest Experiences

Teller

A truly great weekend of racing with my pal OVC got me thinking. We often find ourselves saying, "Man, that was the time of my life." Or, "I've never had so much fun."

Rarely is that actually true. Sure, those times are great, to be sure. But does a fun day at an amusement park really compare to, say, watching the birth of your child? Of course not.

So rank 'em.

What are the top five experiences of your life?

1 and 2, in no order) Watching my oldest daughter enter the world, and sobbing like a baby when her first action in said world was wrapping her hand around my pinky.

Watching my youngest daughter enter the world, straight into the loving hands of my mother, who is a labor and delivery nurse. (Yep, mom delivered her granddaughter. :))

3) Graduating from basic training/MP school in front of my teary-eyed mom and dad, and my smoking-azz ex-wife in the world's most amazing little sundress.

4) Getting to live out my dream, albeit cut short, of serving my community as a police officer. Having my dad come in on an evening shift for a ride-along. When it was over, he said, "Son. This was the greatest night of my life. I am so proud of you."

5) Getting to spend 10 years (plus :paranoid: ) making love to the most beautiful woman I've ever known.

OK, maybe that was a little too honest, but it is what it is. Now let's hear yours!

1) Getting HDTV :)

2) The entire GMU Final Four '06 run (and being at the CAA Finals in 2008)

3) Being at the Caps Game 5 vs. the Rangers (

); Being at Game 7 (
and the remaining 5 min.)

4) :jerk: for the 1st time :paranoid:

5) Still to come :)

HH, why was your cop career cut short (and where have you been all this time?)?

1, the birth of my son. nothing prepares you for it and like you HH I cried like a little baby. I still get misty eyed whenever his birthday rolls around.

2, serving my country. I was very proud to be in the military and did SO many cool things. I have seen the western half of the world for the most part and did it while doing the second most dangerous job in the world (working the deck of a carrier).

3, surviving my childhood.

4, living my 20s as balls out and crazy as I could. I did so many things that I look back on and wonder how I survived that it amazes me. But I had SO much fun doing them and wouldnt trade any of them for anything in the world.

5, joining the mankind project. www.mkp.org this changed my life dramatically and made me go from being an out of control young man who didnt care about his life or yours to someone who is comfortable (for the most part) in his own skin. I recommend this for anyone looking to better themselves.

honorable mention goes to Canton, OH. Going to the Mecca of football and getting to see 2 of the greatest Redskins ever to play go in together was something that will never happen again for any other fan. I dont think that 2 Skins will ever go in together again and I was there man. I was there for the over the top ovation we gave to Art Monk, I was there to boo Michael Irvin and yell obscene things at him. I was there when we all saw Gary Clark just walking down the street by our hotel. And I met some of the best people I have ever met in my life. I helped co-found the CLNC and now know people that I have a feeling I will know for a really long time.

1) Extremely lucky to have had sex at a very young age (13) with an older women. (30ish)

2) Graduating from college. Trust me if you knew me and the way I was, its a miracle I graduated high school

3) Being MVP of a basketball league

4) Punching out a bully when I was in 6th grade in the bathroom, That completely changed my life

5) Eating Lasagna for the first time

5. Buying my first car last year

4. Monday Night Miracle Game

3. Getting a 3.0 in college with no high school education at all

2. No need to say number 2, just think about it.

1. Hitting the GW FTs (Unlike Howard) to clinch 1st place in our rec league basketball division. That is how number 2 happened.

1) Getting HDTV :)

2) The entire GMU Final Four '06 run (and being at the CAA Finals in 2008)

3) Being at the Caps Game 5 vs. the Rangers (

); Being at Game 7 (
and the remaining 5 min.)

4) :jerk: for the 1st time :paranoid:

5) Still to come :)

HH, why was your cop career cut short (and where have you been all this time?)?

I decked someone who deserved it. On camera. :doh:

And I've been internet deprived for a while. Trying to correct that.

1. Birth of my son

2. My divorce. Thought it was bad then, but turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to me.

3. Running my comic store back in the day. Best times of my life, made money and had a ball.

4. Realizing how friggin' awesome my wife truly is. Sounds corny, but this is an ongoing thing. Hardly a day goes by when I don't have a private smile about how lucky I really am. And I really am.

5. The recognition I've gotten for my cartoons. It's a hell of a stroke to the ego, it's really nice to know how many enjoy my work.

~Bang

1) The birth of my Son. When I carried him back from the delivery room to the nursery I felt like I was floating. I never had anything make me feel so exalted and humbled all at the same time.

2) When I put the engagement ring on my wife's hand. Life changed forever.

3) Seeing Bruce Springsteen in concert for the first time. I waited almost 25 years and the minute I saw him walk out on stage all those years of frustration were like a bad dream.

4) The Canton trip. No doubt and I loved every minute of it!

5) When I sat behind the wheel of the first car that I was owner #1. No more used cars and I loved it!

1. Dead heat with the births of my children, each one was just as miraculous as the one before it. That first finger wrap tells you everything you will ever need to know about where your heart belongs.

2. Standing on the floor of the Rome Coliseum, that single experience was the eeriest and most eye opening experience of my life. To thinnk of what happened right where I was standing was to much emotion at one time.

3. 1986 Summer Tour with The Greateful Dead, nuff said :silly:

4. Graduating Boot Camp in San Diego. The single most proud day of my life.

5a. Going to my first Redskins game, the 1st MNF game @ JKC Stadium vs. Dallass.

5b. Standing on stage with Black Sabbath (minus Tony Iommi) - Ozzy handing me a bottle of water as I was laying out Ward's drums.

1. Saving my brother and his friend's life by keeping them responsive and out of shock after a serious car wreck.

2. Going to my 1st Redskin game back in 2006.

3. Making great friends that hopefully I'll know for the rest of my life

4. Times I spent with my grandma since I was 6 months old.

5. Discovering Rammstein :laugh: I couldn't think of anything else.

Five isn't enough. Mine would be all kids-related. I have three kids so there's a lot of great moments to choose from. So I'll just use the top spot for the day each of them were born and use the other four spots for more selfish stuff. :)

2. The night I convinced my wife to date me. I had just turned 21 and she was 19. I'm now 39 and she's 37 and every day, like Bang says, I can't believe I got so damn lucky.

3. The day I got my Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do. This was back in '86, before there was a karate school in every strip mall, and black belts were pretty tough to come by. I still remember the instructor calling my name out as one of the ones who passed the test.

4. Running the Marine Corps Marathon. 26.2 miles is a long way, but it's been nine years and I swear I remember almost all of that race.

5. A year ago I got laid off from my job. A job I'd held for nine years. I decided that that was the time to cut out on my own and start my own business. Best professional decision I ever made. I'm my own boss and I work from home, and it's awesome. I'm still waiting for someone to step out from behind the curtain and say "sorry Henry. We didn't realize you'd be enjoying life so much. You'll have to go back to the office now." ... or something. :)

1. Graduating College the first time in 1990.

2. Being on the Brooklyn Bridge on July 4th, 1986 for the fireworks. This was when the reopened the Statue of Liberty after remodeling. All of Manhattan was in lower Manhattan that today. I remember being squished against a hot lady in the subway car after the fireworks.

3. Living in Washington D.C. area- well Falls Church; when the won Superbowl 26.

4. Graduating college the second time in 1995.

5. I hope my 2 week vacation that I am starting on Wednesday!

1.) witnessing the birth of my son and the 22 years that followed

2.) 16 years with my wife, and like Bang said, the continual realization of

what an awesome person she is.

3.) 20 years of sobriety, that have made everything positive in my life

possible, including 20 years of continuous self employment (no job ****es :D ).

4.) 14 day European road trip with the wife and son, 8 countries and the most spectacular alps skiing .

5.) Canton, The World Series, The Super Bowl, Bike week (Honda 200), The Daytona 500, the Gator Nationals, and the St. Pete Grand Prix, in less than a year

2. The night I convinced my wife to date me. I had just turned 21 and she was 19. I'm now 39 and she's 37 and every day, like Bang says, I can't believe I got so damn lucky.

I know what you and Bang mean...putting it in Football terminology...I out-kicked my coverage by a good 40 yards. I dread the day my wife realizes how much of a goofball I really am...or my son realizes I am not half-as-smart as he thinks I am.

Okay, I'm going to cheat.... my five greatest experiences are way to hard. I'm going to list my five greatest achievements and I will probably beat myself up and change my mind a thousand times on this list too. Disregard the order too.

1. Saving a life. That three or four year old that I found face down in the snow who I rescued and recovered and reunited with his family.

2. Winning Second place in an art contest against adults at 12 years old being judged by Neil Adams (great comic book artist of the 60's-70's)

3. Seeing my play go up on a New York stage and listen to people laugh at my jokes and live in the world I created.

4. Being chosen as Best of the year for the very first commentary I had aired on NPR.

5. Going snorkeling in the middle of the ocean without a life preserver after nearly drowning as a child and becoming hydrophobic as a result.

Archived