Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Horton to Start

Adam291

Friday, June 12, 2009

Zorn: Horton to start

Ryan O'Halloran

Much will be made between now and the Washington Redskins' season opener about the competition between Chris Horton and Reed Doughty at strong safety.

But the job isn't open. Horton is the starter, and Doughty will play a role on defense.

"It's not the kind of battle that right tackle will be," coach Jim Zorn said after the Redskins wrapped up organized team activities Thursday.

Doughty, who started Week 1 last year before his season was cut short by a neck injury, used minicamp and OTAs to gauge his physical readiness.

"This was a time for me to get better and shake the rust off," he said.

"That's Chris' spot right now, and I'm going to compete, but he's playing well. I really want to be a force on special teams and make an impact when I'm in there on defense."

Said Zorn: "Reed is looking very sharp. They say in the weight room he's stronger and more flexible. I fully expect him to be in full gear and go hard this summer."

The only starting positions realistically open in training camp are right tackle and kicker.

Stephon Heyer enters summer vacation as the right tackle ahead of Jeremy Bridges and Mike Williams.

"I definitely think [the position has] improved because Stephon had great OTAs," quarterback Jason Campbell said. "The biggest part for the O-line is communicating guy-to-guy, and that comes with continuity. Stephon had a chance to build that."

At kicker, incumbent Shaun Suisham will be challenged by Dave Raymer. Zorn said a plan hasn't been finalized but that the Redskins could designate one kicker for each game instead of flip-flopping during the same game.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jun/12/zorn-horton-will-be-the-starter-at-strong-safety/?feat=article_related_stories

Sounds good to me.

Archived