Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OTA Interview with Malcolm Kelly

themurf

kelly061209.JPG

(photo by Brian Murphy)

We understand that very few Washington Redskins fans have had the chance to get to know him or see him in action, but let us be clear — it’s impossible not to pull for Malcolm Kelly.

During his inaugural NFL training camp, the Oklahoma receiver caught anything and everything thrown his way. If he dropped a ball, it happened on a day we weren’t around. Unfortunately for Kelly, he simply couldn’t stay healthy last year and finished the season with just three catches for 18 yards in the five games he played in.

A year later, Kelly seemed to be set for the same fate as he was left on the sidelines during minicamp because of knee issues once again. The good new is, Kelly has seemingly fully recovered from microfracture surgery this past February and has been a regular contributor during the team’s organized team activities. We caught up with Kelly on the final day of OTAs to see how he’s feeling these days.

“I feel great, but then again, I felt great this time last year too,” he said.

We also were curious to see how he feels to see so many people rush to judgment and label him (along with fellow second rounders wide out Devin Thomas and tight end Fred Davis) as a bust after just one year.

“I was talking with Santana and he told me the same thing happened to him his rookie year,” said the 22-year-old Kelly. “He got hurt, barely played at all his first year in New York and everyone said he was a bust after one season.”

Kelly was right, Moss played in just five games and had just two catches for 40 yards his rookie season back in 2001. As we all know, Moss went on to do quite well for himself, earning a trip to the Pro Bowl as he set the Redskins single season receiving record back in 2005.

Click here for full article.

I'm a huge Kelly fan and I still believe he's going to be a really good receiver. Would be nice to see him and Thomas grow with Campbell if he's still here. I just have a good feeling bout this guy.

I hope your right. I've been a huge critic of the Skins drafting a guy with a history of injury...but I hope hope he has those behind him and shows up on Sundays in 09.

Not only will the offense as a whole benefit from Kelly being able to be on the field and stay healthy, but I fully expect for Jason to do a lot more as well. Having Kelly is sooo important in many different ways.

Jason will thrive so much with having a big target like Kelly. Thats how Romo sits to pee did it with T.O.

Kind of ruined it for me after that.

Kelly was very realistic and down to earth when we chatted. He wasn't interested in talking the talk - he just wants to get healthy and get on the field so he can contribute. That's all he was saying.

Kelly was very realistic and down to earth when we chatted. He wasn't interested in talking the talk - he just wants to get healthy and get on the field so he can contribute. That's all he was saying.

Great job Murf, you sum it up. Kelly wants to perform, I hope he can. You hate to see all that potential sitting there getting no use.

Kind of ruined it for me after that.

I guess I saw that in a different light. I saw it as "I felt great last year and look what happened, I'm not going to allow that to happen again". I think he's very concious of it, and doing everything he can to be ready and be able to contribute this year.

I guess I saw that in a different light. I saw it as "I felt great last year and look what happened, I'm not going to allow that to happen again". I think he's very concious of it, and doing everything he can to be ready and be able to contribute this year.

yeah! thats how i like to spin it.

i really think he is going to be "it" for us, along with fred davis.

did i mention wild child.

i think vinny is going to look a lot smarter than people have given him credit for.

Malcolm and Devin are coming into their own this season, I wouldn't be surprised to see ARE dropping to No. 3 or 4.

Well ARE is most effective that way. Just have either Kelly or Thomas step up this season and we'll be in much better shape. Both of them contributing will be an added bonus

Archived