Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Big Whiskey And The GrooGrux King

matty dread

Love the album, its a total hit in my eyes. Most of my non-DMB (and even some hater) fan friends are REALLY growing to like the band after listening to this album, and that makes me happy.

If you don't like them or aren't familiar with them, this is the album to start with. Its a modern, more rock-based Dave Matthews sound.

Anyone catch the commercial free 2 1/2 hour DMB concert on TV Monday night?

No I was at Merriweather for Hillsong United...I think it re airs tomorrow night but its only 1 hour does anyone know when the full 2 hour show reairs?

I like the "Something Out Of Nothing" and listening to this album is making me anxious for their concert

Heck yeah, dope song.

I'm digging most of the album, but a few that REALLY stand out are It's Alright, Mix It Up, India Ink, and I Like The Way.

This is one of 311's best albums top to bottom imo.

Anyway, sorry to jack the DMB thread. But Uplifter is the shizz!

Heck yeah, dope song.

I'm digging most of the album, but a few that REALLY stand out are It's Alright, Mix It Up, India Ink, and I Like The Way.

This is one of 311's best albums top to bottom imo.

Anyway, sorry to jack the DMB thread. But Uplifter is the shizz!

Have you listened to "Sun Comes Through" or "How Long Has It Been"? They're pretty good too and I believe this is one of their better albums.

No I was at Merriweather for Hillsong United...I think it re airs tomorrow night but its only 1 hour does anyone know when the full 2 hour show reairs?
RD, the original broadcast was on Fuse. Maybe they will re-air?

WTF is this title supposed to mean?

From Dave himself:

We were trying to think of names for the record, and GrooGrux was a name that Roi and Carter and Tim and some other musicians before our band used to call each other. But it stuck with Roi. He used to call Carter and Tim ‘Grux,’ but they both called him that, and I might have called him that sometimes, too—so it sort of stuck to him. Roi would always say ‘My name is King’—that’s what he would say about himself. There’s not too much meaning in it; I just liked the sound of GrooGrux King. It’s a mouthful, though.

Then we were out at this photo shoot and there was this guy stumbling around, playing harmonica. He’d play something and then say ‘I need a big whiskey!,’ trying to get some money to go get a little more hammered. And Fonz gave me a $20, and I stepped off the shoot and gave it to the guy. He glanced at the $20 like it was a single, and he said ‘I said I need a… I said I need a… Oh. That is a big whiskey!’ And then he walked off to go and get his buzz. But while he was screaming that, Rashawn, our trumpet player, said ‘That’s a good name for the record.’ I really liked Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King because it sounds sort of like a fairytale, more like an old story.”

I am going to get the cd this morning when I run out to go tanning ... I meant to get it this week but work sucked and I did not have the time. Really looking forward to this cd - heard lots of people like it.

As for 311 - used to LOVE them. I saw them too many times .... After Soundsystem I just kind of lost them. The sound totally changed and it seemed like they were a totally different band. It wasn't the same raw sounds that they had put out before. I know that some change is good and different producers bring change - but I was not a fan of the change. I think that I bought an album two years ago and listened to it once and never picked it up again. :(

Not a chance its better. Most people don't even have a clue who 311 is. I know I sure as hell don't. Why do people try and pass off dopey, no-name bands as comparable to great bands like DMB?:chair:

Ok, so I just previewed both the new 311 and DMB. Are you people serious that think 311 is better? Their music is awful. Btw, DMB is the #1 album out there right now. And for a reason. Seems really good.

Archived