Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DCEx: It's safe to say Skins unhappy

JimmiJo

I think LL has the type of personality that needs a guy like GW as his coach... I love blache but GW's tough love definitely seemed to affect guys like LL... shame if LL just lets his career fade away as soon as his athletic abilities start to... he could be so much more than "just" a talented safety...

I can really only think of a hand full of players that have earned the right (in my mind) to skip OTAs...and even then, most of the players I'm thinking of don't skip them.

I agree with this post, and I feel it highlights the kind of player LL is.

I think LL has the type of personality that needs a guy like GW as his coach... I love blache but GW's tough love definitely seemed to affect guys like LL...

I remember a few guys here saying the exact same thing a few months ago. :)

I think its mostly a character issue. Landry just thinks too highly of himself, and always his. For any really motivated young player, early in their career they want to get as much time in as possible. Landry thinks he doesn't need it, that's why he isn't there.

Disappointing, sure, but hes been doing these things for years.

Personally I think for some players OTA attendance is overrated. For Landry, does he need to learn in May that he will be lining up 27 yards away from the ball rather than 30 yards away in certain packages? Sure it'd be great for camaraderie and some communications things but really, you're going to cover those things in training camp anyways. I've never heard a coach or player say in season, 'Well he blew that play because he missed when it was installed in a June OTA.'

Landry may be physically talented, but he is no Shawn Taylor. I think that if Landry really works at it he may become a "fixture" in the secondary but he will probably never be "elite"

may sound negative to some people here, but the image of Brandon Jacobs trucking him keeps replaying in my mind.

He can do whatever he wants and his numbers should go up, considering the upgrades we made in front of him.

I'd like him to be here, but he has never struck me as a high character, team player type.

I like our 2 late round safties that we have.

If Gregg Williams was the coach, he would be here. You hire a fraud instead, you end up with situations like this one.

lol wait...you think Blanche is a fraud?!? wow...how wrong could you be.

Anyways....alot of players miss OTAs. Non-issue. I would imahine he is doing his own training routine...so be it. As long as he shows up for TC there is no issue.

Seiously I would rather he do his own training and stay healthy and not get burned out then be there.

This thread is eerily similar to the one's about Sean Taylor missing all of these years back.

Voluntary means not mandatory. You can not expect 100% participation. Landry might be getting better workouts doing what he is doing, or he may just be relaxing because that is what he wants to do in early June when his contract says he is allowed to. Not a big deal. Leave it alone.

With all the new/young defensive players we have, it would be nice to have the leader of the secondary to be here for at least SOME of the damn OTAs to build some comeradie(sp?) with his unit.

This defense has a chance to be pretty ****ing good, and with new defensive personnel and Blache's "tweaking" of his system to better fit the new group, I'm sure Landry can gain A LOT by being here.

It's not as if he is coming off a All-Pro season.

IIRC, he did seem to have issues with showing up for OTAs last offseason as well. What I do remember for certain is that he struggled with injuries for all of pre-season and throughout the whole season basically. Maybe whatever the **** he is doing on his own isn't the best way to prepare himself for the coming season.

This thread is eerily similar to the one's about Sean Taylor missing all of these years back.

Voluntary means not mandatory. You can not expect 100% participation. Landry might be getting better workouts doing what he is doing, or he may just be relaxing because that is what he wants to do in early June when his contract says he is allowed to. Not a big deal. Leave it alone.

Yea, it is a big deal. Outside of his first 1-2 years in the league, Sean Taylor (which he was 20-21 years old, where Landry is already 24-25, btw) never was absent for 100% of all team OTAs.

He would miss a day or two, causing everyone in the DC area to freak out. But one thing that is for damn sure is that when it was time to kickoff a new season, Taylor was there, healthy and more than ready to put the fear of God into the opposing offense's receivers with the pain he inflicted upon them.

Also, people need to stop comparing Landry's situation to Taylor's and especially Portis'. Landry hasn't come close to being the player Taylor was, nor has he ever lead the team to the playoffs like Portis has had done (twice).

Let us hope he does not get shot like Taylor did missing Voluntary time with team players

Archived