Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: New Santana Moss Deal Offsets Jansen Cap Charge

Rocky52Mc

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

New Santana Moss Deal Offsets Jansen Cap Charge

Posted by Mike Florio on June 2, 2009, 8:43 p.m.

"A league source tells us that the Washington Redskins quietly extended the contract of receiver Santana Moss last month, creating nearly the same amount of cap space that was burned up when tackle Jon Jansen recently

was cut.

Per the source, the Redskins converted his base salary of $3.7 million in 2009 and $4.3 million in 2010 into a signing bonus, less salaries of $745,000 this year and $968,500 next year.

The difference is a guaranteed payment of $6.28 million.

The new deal adds three additional seasons beyond 2010, at base salaries of $1.192 million in 2011, $1.4155 million in 2012, and $1.639 million in 2013. But we’re told that the three new years automatically void at the end of the 2010 season.

So why were the new years added? To allow the guaranteed payment to be spread over five years.

As a result, the total cap savings was $1.7477 million. And the Jansen cap charge was $1.726 million.

There also was a benefit for Moss; he received all of his 2009 pay and most of his 2010 compensation now."

Pretty interesting, but nothing completely unusual from our FO. So, it's safe to say the decision against Jansen was decided long ago and was not listed as a priority until after our big business was done (FA's Draft ect.) and they take a gamble on Moss by paying him completely now without seeing his future performance. I guess you could say he earned it.

We need to quit doing this shoving money into tthe future

Why? the salary cap goes up every year usually, sometimes not a lot i know but by the time 2011 rolls around Moss might have lost a step or two and we'll just trade him or release him and not take as big of a hit then

those numbers are very cheap at the end of the contract. if moss's stats improve as JC gets better, then he'll want to redo it in a couple of years.

I'm not sure if you read the whole article but those aren't valid numbers by any standards. They're simply there to spread out the cap. Anything past 2010 is void. It doesn't even matter. Basically his contract is up after 2010.

I know Moss just turned 30, but I don't think he's as expendable as Jansen, especially since the two young WRs they drafted last year have not shown much. Moss, IMO, is still going to have to be a big part of this offense if they are going to do anything or go anywhere.

Why the hell are we extending Moss? He seems like the kind of guy you want to slowly ease out right now. Not hold onto for three years.

C'mon man read the fine print.

The new deal adds three additional seasons beyond 2010' date=' at base salaries of $1.192 million in 2011, $1.4155 million in 2012, and $1.639 million in 2013.[u'] But we’re told that the three new years automatically void at the end of the 2010 season.[/u]

Where are the Florio haters? I thought on every PFT: <insert title> you'd see everyone that thought he's a douche.

Mike Florio is the biggest waste of space EVER. I seriously hate him and hope he never reproduces. I think he looks like eddie munster

So, it's safe to say the decision against Jansen was decided long ago and was not listed as a priority until after our big business was done (FA's Draft ect.)

I don't think Jansen's future was decided until we got Jeremy Bridges and Mike Williams signed and the FO felt like one of the three RTs we've got (Heyer included) would do at least as good at the position as Jansen would.

After that there was no reason to keep him around, we've got younger (a little) and healthier guys that can't be worse. Why hold onto him after that? I definintely wouldn't say Jansen's future was decided before Bridges signed.

Can someone please try and explain to me in simple terms how his contract is extended for 3 seasons yet becomes void after 2010?

I'm by no means a salary cap whiz but I would love an explanation so I can better understand

Mike Florio is the biggest waste of space EVER. I seriously hate him and hope he never reproduces. I think he looks like eddie munster

Who cares what he looks like (it's a blog) and he's already reproduced...thanks for viewing his page.

Archived