Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jey Leno's last show

WVUforREDSKINS

http://www.latimes.com/la-et-leno30-2009may30,0,3769542.story

Unlike many comedians, Leno is not the subject of his own comedy but rather a kind of stand-in for his audience. "What were you thinking?" he asked Hugh Grant, coming on the show after being arrested with a prostitute back in 1995. (Grant's appearance helped establish the late-night talk show appearance stint as a way to snatch a career back from the jaws of scandal.) But the question "What were you thinking?" is the very essence of Leno's comedy, which lives in the space between the way things are and the way they ought to be. His signature bits on "The Tonight Show" were both about that kind of failure: "Headlines" (unintentionally funny clippings from newspapers and magazines) and "Jaywalking" (people in the street demonstrate what they don't know). They are sure to migrate with him when he moves into prime time.

"No one's really bummed out or sad, because we're going to be back in the fall," Leno said Monday night. He leaves "The Tonight Show," from which he has been in a sense forcibly retired, in a position of remarkable standing. In a move to keep him from going to ABC or Fox to compete head-to-head against O'Brien -- much as NBC earlier kept O'Brien in the fold by promising him "The Tonight Show" -- the network has given him nearly a quarter of its prime-time schedule. His new show will run weeknights at 10 nearly year-round.

Things are less secure in prime time than in late night, to be sure; there are no five-year contracts there. But the move doesn't so much pull Leno from late night as, potentially, redefine when "late night" begins -- there may be an aging audience only too happy to get news and a talk show and still be in bed by 11:30. If he's successful there, other networks may well follow suit.

Nice exit show for Leno. I liked the story he told in introducing James Taylor about him leaving Boston for California very early in his career and, soon after being on the road for this new chapter in his life, hearing Taylor's "Sweet Baby James" on the radio, with the line

"The first of December was covered in snow.

And so was the turnpike from Stockbridge to Boston.

The Berkshires seemed dreamlike on account of that frostin'

With 10 miles behind me and 10,000 more to go."

and how much he related to that verse as he's leaving his home in the rearview mirror. He got a little verklempt introducing James Taylor to sing that song.

And I'll have to go back and listen again, but I swear Taylor changed the words of the refrain to "Rockabye sweet baby Jay" instead of James. Nice touch.

He ended well, but I think he was a bit disingenuous at his audience that probably only gets their information from the television show (not reading).

He said repeatedly he was fine with leaving and made a comment at getting the show at #1 and leaving at #1. I've heard from multiple sources that he is most definitely not great about leaving at #1.

This is a really good article about it: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24Conan-t.html

Overall, good ending show, but I think he went kind of overboard emotions-wise for my taste.

I don't think I've ever laughed at a single Jay Leno joke. Dude is just not funny, not even in character. I so happy Conan is moving up-he represents the new generation which is why older people don't get his humor. (not knockin for being old, it is how it is)

I don't think I've ever laughed at a single Jay Leno joke. Dude is just not funny' date=' not even in character. I so happy Conan is moving up-he represents the new generation which is why older people don't get his humor. (not knockin for being old, it is how it is)[/quote']

I love how you say a 45 year old guy is "the new generation"

I've never understood how Leno beats Letterman in the ratings.

Leno is just terrible. A complete shmuck. Not funny at all. But America loves him, go figure. (though you wouldn't know it from reading ES. I've yet to read one post from anyone who thinks Leno is great. The ratings are fixed I tell ya!)

Can't wait to catch Conan (and Andy!) again! :applause:

Leno is just terrible. A complete shmuck. Not funny at all. But America loves him, go figure. (though you wouldn't know it from reading ES. I've yet to read one post from anyone who thinks Leno is great. The ratings are fixed I tell ya!)

Can't wait to catch Conan (and Andy!) again! :applause:

I think Leno is the best of late night. I never did really like Letterman, he is kind of boring to me. Some stuff he does is funny, but Leno is way better.

I watched Leno 5 nights a week and liked nearly every minute (aside from anytime Stuttering John was involved). I have tried to watch Conan on several occassions and just dont get it, he's not funny, and his skits arent funny. The only skit that was even remotely amusing was Triumph.

I'm going to give him a shot on Late Night and I hope that his style changes and he gets better writers otherwise I'm headed over to the Letterman bandwagon.

The best explanation I've heard (and it isn't very good) claims lots of people think Leno is just like them, so they find themselves relating to him despite his interviewing futility, annoying delivery, milquetoast style, etc. Apparently all relevant metrics for job performance get chucked out the window when people think the performer would be a great fit in their neighborhood.

Personally, if I wanted to watch my neighbor late at night instead of good television, I'd invest in some good night-vision binoculars and a lot of black clothing.

Archived