Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Most Unappreciated Thing: The Night Sky

Springfield

PCS,can you please take some pics of the night sky?

Something like this.Only make it much bigger.:)

BTW this pic is from Utah.

The very next night after this thread popped up,(and it's a great thread btw) I had the camera out practicing night shots,(after some heavy research on shooting night time skies to make sure I had it right). I have a lot of work to do needless to say. I know where to go. Bald Mountain overlook up the Mirror Lake Highway. Nearly 11,000 feet above sea level with no major city glow anywhere near That should do it. That and head down south in to the desert. Still have to practice though.

Wow, that guy sucks as a comedian. It's a shame his popularity on UFC will further his comedian career. He sucks, plain and simple.

Hmm, I happen to think Rogan is funny, and I'm pretty picky when it comes to stand up comedy. To each their own.

Although, Rogan's last show on Spike wasn't that great.

Nature is beautiful.. We're simply a small piece of it..

Somewhat relevant, the following paragraph is something I wrote online, while back:

My life is one big science project. I can't predict the outcome of a present situation. I can, however, make note of the consequence and use this knowledge to sharpen my ability to make better decisions tomorrow. Theres so much to ponder about life and I often find myself a bit overwhelmed. I'm amazed by the complexity of this world and the simplicity of man (one of the worlds greatest accomplishments.) It takes so much coincidence for me to even be able to write this message yet so many people will overlook that aspect, failing to appreciate life or understand what's actually real. Look outside, we're simply a small piece of what you see. All else is what we've created in hopes of convincing ourselves that we're not ignorant. Just when I think I have it all figured out, in comes the monkeywrench; a curveball. Confusing, yes, but interesting atleast.

edit: I see nature outside.. i guess it would be different if you lived in a city..

The very next night after this thread popped up,(and it's a great thread btw) I had the camera out practicing night shots,(after some heavy research on shooting night time skies to make sure I had it right). I have a lot of work to do needless to say. I know where to go. Bald Mountain overlook up the Mirror Lake Highway. Nearly 11,000 feet above sea level with no major city glow anywhere near That should do it. That and head down south in to the desert. Still have to practice though.

Please keep up the good work.:cheers:

How about some fireworks?

fwwp_sxga_08_a.jpg

I was on Orcas Island (north of Seattle) years ago, and there was a meteor storm. After a dozen or so shooting stars we just stopped counting, but it was amazing. The Milky Way was this big bright band across the sky.

I always meant to go to the Southwest, find a mountaintop, and watch a meteor shower, like the Leonid or Perseid showers, but life pretty much got in the way. It's still on the list of things to do.

I have a planets app on my iphone. Tells me where all the planets are during the day/night. I have now seen Jupitor (very visible right now in the Eastern Sky), Saturn, Mars and Venus. I've not really seen Jupitor or Saturn that I know of- so it's pretty cool.

When I was 10 I saw Hailey's commet. It only comes around once every 75 years- hopefully I'll be alive to see it again.

I went to the Space Academy when I was 17- dreamed of being an astronaut. I learned how to fly the shuttle. Never tried to actually go that route-but still an interest/hobby of mine anyway.

flagstaffsky_usno.jpg

Thanks for resurrecting the thread and thank you for posting this picture. That is a truly amazing sight. I had almost forgotten that I had even posted about the night sky and the beauty that it is.

It is no wonder to me why the ancient civilizations would worship the sun and the stars. It is no wonder why civilizations would name these stars and make up stories about groups of them. In that time, the night sky must have been a majestic thing. After all day of a singular entity in the sky, the night sky would arise and bring a whole world of entities.

Little known to these ancient civilizations is the fact that these "night entities" were just different versions of the sun that they worshiped in the day time.

That would be a Lenticular cloud. They tend to form and hover around the tops of mountains. We get them during the winter sometimes before storms. It probably looks a bit more dramatic due to the fact that the photographer had to leave the shutter open for a bit to get that kind of a shot of the night sky.

That would be a Lenticular cloud. They tend to form and hover around the tops of mountains. We get them during the winter sometimes before storms. It probably looks a bit more dramatic due to the fact that the photographer had to leave the shutter open for a bit to get that kind of a shot of the night sky.
Ah I see, thanks.

My aunt moved out near Pheonix a few years ago and has offered for me to come out and visit her a couple times before. I've been too busy with school but now with that out of the way, I really should find the time to make the trip.

And I saw someone mention it earlier, but yeah, the night sky in the middle of the ocean is really unbelievable.

Archived