Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We have the dirtbags, how bout a name for the defense?

bigroddy76

IS anyone in the league afraid of our defense? what is it about our defense that would scare an opposing team?

I was a the barbershop today talking to a steelers fan about the steel curtain ,and Blitzburgh. I gotta admit i was a little jealous.

I think that if a team has a nickname either they have played so well that the name is given to the team by the media, or the fans give them one and they buy into the name and play with the type of attitude that matches it.

So who better than us, The Extremeskin faithful to help me come up with some good ideas! So toss some out there and maybe we can come up with something great. My first idea is "THE NASTIES"

Dirtbags... the name Bugel gave our offensive line before they had ever played a game for him. And now they are one of the weakest units in the NFL.

Maybe we ought to hold off on a nickname for our defense.

Exactly.

Everyone was caught up (me chief among them) with nostalgia for the past when Gibbs and Bugel came back to town and all of a sudden the Oline just had to have a nickname. Now "The Hogs" were a name given to the Oline back in the day by Bugel long before it became public or even before they got any good so Bugel naming this line "The Dirtbags" was okay. The problem of course was that it got out to the public and people so wanted this line to be another Hogs that they actually started using the "The Dirtbags" before this line accomplished even half of what "The Hogs" did. Suffice to say now, this line is quickly becoming a joke....an OLD OLD joke.

I do agree with the OP that if a nickname is to be given, the defense is who should have it. Thing is the best nicknames come from the team itself. I don't think any of the popular nicknames from the past (at least with the Skins) originated with the fans.

The Hogs

The Fun Bunch

The Smurfs

The Posse

The Capitol Punishment Crew/The Capital Defense

All were team originated names that got out to the public.

So I'd rather have someone ask a member of the D if they call themselves something or did GW ever come up with anything rather than suggest a name myself.

The rak attack thread didnt go that direction, no need for sarcasm. I thought that if the question was asked more directly it would get a more direct response and stay on point!

While that is a great point and intention, why could'nt you have just re-directed in the other thread, or made a title change suggestion to the OP. We don't need identical threads started within five hours of each other.

Another vote for no nicknames yet, for offense or defense.

They both have to earn it.....even the defense, because there's been some likely downgrades, and some perceived upgrades, so we really have no idea how even the defense will pan out.

The Dirtbags nickname was a joke - it had no basis, and it was a nickname just for the sake of having a nickname, just a random name that they hadn't earned.....not to mention a dumb name. And did I mention it was a dumb nickname ?

Archived