Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Using the rating system, pet peeve of mine.

Art

Fortunately, it's impossible to disagree with me as to what makes a good thread. I've laid out what a good thread is by stating it's a thoughtful one that attempts to inspire debate to laid out ideas. I've removed one's ability to consider THEIR thoughts on the other side as a reason to dismiss a thread. That's irrlevant. A good thread may appear in many forms inspiring many conversations, especially in cases you find the idea idiotic.

:laugh:

But, if you remove that thought, and focus on how it is presented, whether time was put into it, whether thought was put into it, you'll find the rating system is both easy and uniform. Only if you let your feelings for the content sway you would you be confused. So don't be confused.

I'm still not convinced. A well presented and thought out thread about something ridiculous like say, "FedEx Field is too expensive, so this is why we should burn it down." Could be formatted perfectly, well thought out and may actually be convincing for some people but it does not deserve a 5 (or even 4) star rating no matter how much time was invested into it. The idea behind the thread has to count for something, otherwise the rating system is useless.

I never retired from moderation. I stepped away because life was winning and needed to get things reordered. I'm still not sure I'm actually all that entirely back, but for the last couple days I've had time :0.

Time is $$$$!

It's thoughtful. It attempts to inspire conversation as to the topic, bringing actual points into the equation for discussion.

So this is THE definition of a quality thread? I'm more in tune with DH in that people will (and probably should) consider other things. Take for example over-discussed issues (like JC vs Colt vs Chase vs Cutler vs Sanchez). A first post on this may be worthy of a 5 star rating. But I may want to give somebody else who starts a thread meeting the above requirements a 1 star rating because I feel it could have gone into the thread at hand.

Then there's also the question of how thought provoking is the discussion in this thread. I mean, the OP could have the criteria you mention but the thread could grow into one thats much different than the OP - in which case I'd be more inclined to (and can definitely understand those who) give the thread a lower rating.

Plus personality should be a factor in this. Some people are very good with coming up with ideas, but their threads ALWAYS become bitter arguments where the same things are repeated and ignored BECAUSE thats the way the poster behaves. So again, I'm more inclined to ignore threads started by those posters and/or give it a lower rating.

And sometimes, threads have the things you mention, but lousy titles that serve as a distraction.

Not trying to cause troble, just my .02

Yeah, he's been going wild lately.

Jrock's Art rampage refers to me going through and banning 50 people I don't like for a weekend, just to clear the area.

I've posted a lot the last two days, but have not engaged in any real disciplinary action.

Jrock's Art rampage refers to me going through and banning 50 people I don't like for a weekend, just to clear the area.

I've posted a lot the last two days, but have not engaged in any real disciplinary action.

Can you guys use public humiliation and have an daily updated page as to who was banned, for how long, and why with a quote showing what they did?

...except you'd have to ban 500 people to have the same effect. :silly:

Nah, I never got to know that side of you Art - except that one time with the misunderstanding.

I forgot to mention the whole "sources" thing. Its kinda typical around here for somebody to post a thread saying "I heard that..." and have that lead to a discussion. Sometimes its from a verifiable source (ala somebody else posting that they saw it on NFL Network) and sometimes not. The belief of some of this stuff should also be a factor.

I mean, its a great thing if somebody met CP and asked him about JC and got his opinion, but different people are going to wage that experience differently - and I think they should be allowed to.

I tend to agree. I rarely use the rating unless I feel a post is REALLY bad or really good. I rarely rate it if I am indifferent toward the thread somehow.

On other boards I've seen other mechanisms for this. On one board they had a 5 star rating system whereby each post you made people could rate you from 1 to 5 on, that got abused and pulled though as long time members were downing folks just because they hadn't reached in their minds a large post count. On another board, they have a thing called reputation, whereby you could give props and comment on individual posts a person might make. You could also reject them, but usually you only got positives, and then in your posts it shows how big your "props" meter are to indicate who is more respected on the board.

Frankly I never look at the rating so much when choosing what to read. The subject of threads really are king here. If its an interesting subject I'll open and read, but I find I don't really post as much as I used to, though I do read a lot.

I actually do look at the star ratings to decide which threads to read sometimes, so it would be nice if people rated threads responsibly, but then again it'd be nice if people always posted responsibly too. The ratings are usually pretty accurate though, in my opinion.

OMG I have always HATED when a great thread has one star.

Absolute PET PEEVE of mine as well.

I have OFTEN gone into threads like that and plugged in a quick five star vote just so the thread is not sitting there with a one star rating.

The thread rating is about the level of DISCUSSION,

not whether you agree with the OP.

I guess its too simple to resist the urge to throw mud at thoughts we don't agree with, even through the rating system.

When I remember to vote at all, I always give my own threads five stars -- just to offset at least one of the jerks who gives it one star because he disagrees with my opinion.

Recently I authored a thread in which seven posters complimented me on its merit, but I was attacked in the tags and the thread had a one star vote by an unidentified poster or posters.

Shilsu is right, as long as it's anonymous, there will be abuse of both the ratings and the tags.

I find it funny that we have 3 pages of responses...that are mostly very short and not very well thought out or thought provoking.

The only response to Art's directive is "Ok, will do" but even that is short and not really asked for.

This board is not set up for democratic governing. Some might not like the dictatorial ways of Sir Art but...It is a decision and it is carried out.It always has to do with bettering the board.You may not agree...but your agreement wasn't asked for anywhere in the thread nor was our opinion sought.

This is also funny...Because I have agreed and then offered my opinion.

I tend to agree. I rarely use the rating unless I feel a post is REALLY bad or really good. I rarely rate it if I am indifferent toward the thread somehow.

On other boards I've seen other mechanisms for this. On one board they had a 5 star rating system whereby each post you made people could rate you from 1 to 5 on, that got abused and pulled though as long time members were downing folks just because they hadn't reached in their minds a large post count. On another board, they have a thing called reputation, whereby you could give props and comment on individual posts a person might make. You could also reject them, but usually you only got positives, and then in your posts it shows how big your "props" meter are to indicate who is more respected on the board.

Frankly I never look at the rating so much when choosing what to read. The subject of threads really are king here. If its an interesting subject I'll open and read, but I find I don't really post as much as I used to, though I do read a lot.

I was gonna write something, but then I found this post that said exactly what I would have, so by quoting it, it saves me a lot of typing. :D

I never rate threads because I assumed everybody was like myself. Ive read threads that were rated very high but didnt deserve the rating and vice-versa. So eventually I started ignoring the rating system completely.

Archived