Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Using the rating system, pet peeve of mine.

Art

So, when we allowed the rating system to be used after long debates that we shouldn't because people wouldn't use it correctly (Die Hard was right) it was supposed to be a way for the community to regulate itself. Meaning, as we grew in size, it was harder to find quality threads. Thus, if people rated quality threads, people could order the board by rating and see better conversations and perhaps avoid the weaker thread.

Imagine my surprise when I read this thread:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=287980

It immediately occurred to me, though I don't fully believe in what the original poster is stating, that this is what a quality thread looks like. It's thoughtful. It attempts to inspire conversation as to the topic, bringing actual points into the equation for discussion.

Yet, it had a one star rating.

The misuse Die Hard warned about was people NOT LIKING an idea posed in a thread and trashing the thread in the rating. Or, not liking a person, and trashing the rating.

That thread referenced above should be a five star rating, even from those who HATE the concept of Orakpo being at LB because it allows a good place for THEM to discuss their ideas without the flaming ridiculousness that is common.

People need to begin letting themselves understand that. A thread which may be high rated may take a negative turn when it becomes a thread about basketball players instead, but, for the most part, if you'd take a moment to rate a thread fairly based on the content rather than your agreement or disagreement of the content you'd find it far more valuable.

While it's unlikely to ever really be valuable, what I'm going to do is capriciously and arbitrarily -- a moderator staple here -- find out who's voting dumbly in such threads and ban then secretly simply to make myself feel better and cause whining I enjoy.

So, do us all a favor. Try to USE that tool to see if it helps you identify better places to talk.

So you're saying I shouldn't rate this thread a 1? =P

Actually, a moderator threat to the community should ALWAYS be rated a one, and the guy who did this one was too funny so I'll give him a pass :).

Actually, a moderator threat to the community should ALWAYS be rated a one, and the guy who did this one was too funny so I'll give him a pass :).

I couldn't help myself. I actually agree completely with what you said. But I had to do it.:dunce:

Actually, a moderator threat to the community should ALWAYS be rated a one
Yep. I know I didn't even rate a couple of my "reminder" threads. It is true and it is a good pet peeve. A flip side of this of course,are the ones who rate their own threads 5 stars.

I will vote a thread however I please. It is within the rules. Some of the tags I see on the other hand.......

Wooo. You go ahead with your bad self. Hopefully in all that you didn't miss Art's point.

I will vote a thread however I please. It is within the rules. Some of the tags I see on the other hand.......

Actually, no. You'll rate a thread based on the criteria I gave you, not based on however you please. That's the point of this thread. Instead of how you please, look beyond how you please into whether the post or thread is one that has or inspires a good, thoughtful debate, regardless of your pleasure with the content of the debate.

It's about the community, not you. See you in three. Reason? Capricious.

What about people who vote their own threads 5 stars? Do they get banned, too? lol :cool:

No. Those people will just have a Mirror Mirror avatar and signature change to "Who is the fairest of them all?"

not redskins related????

For realsies, this should go in the board suggestions section.

I do like the idea though. However, some of the dumbest posts begin with a couple of idiotic sentences that just are so off the wall, that people end up going on tangents and begin really good converstions. How do you rate such a thread. It began as a bomb, but ended up a hit...

But if you feel your thread contributes to the board as a thought provoking discussion, then why can't you?

In good taste you should rarely rate yourself the most awesome. But, I think you can. If the rest of the community reads your one line post and disagrees, it'll be clear :0.

For realsies, this should go in the board suggestions section.

I do like the idea though. However, some of the dumbest posts begin with a couple of idiotic sentences that just are so off the wall, that people end up going on tangents and begin really good converstions. How do you rate such a thread. It began as a bomb, but ended up a hit...

Probably depends when you vote. If you vote initially driving down the rating, you may not have a chance to vote it up later when the content shifts. You'd imagine many threads can take a turn for the better OR worse. You get to vote once. If you vote before a thread turns ugly or good that's no stain on you.

While it's unlikely to ever really be valuable, what I'm going to do is capriciously and arbitrarily -- a moderator staple here -- find out who's voting dumbly in such threads and ban then secretly simply to make myself feel better and cause whining I enjoy.

Hmmm. So if someone doesn't agree with you on what constitutes a good thread then they get banned?

I get your point about the abuse of the rating system but don't agree with the above quote. Also, I thought you retired as a moderator?

Yep. I know I didn't even rate a couple of my "reminder" threads. It is true and it is a good pet peeve. A flip side of this of course,are the ones who rate their own threads 5 stars.

Yeah that is really annoying too. More annoying to me are some of the tag problems that pop up.

Any thread (and usually every thread now) that gets into any kind of QB discussion gets all kinds of "JC sucks" "Colt sucks" tags on it. And I admit I've made some nonsense tags myself but there are also lots of threads I like to keep up with that I have tagged properly.

In good taste you should rarely rate yourself the most awesome. But, I think you can. If the rest of the community reads your one line post and disagrees, it'll be clear :0.

On second thought, you should probably not post something unless you presonally feel it is worthy of a 5 star, so voting for yourself is pointless. I retract my previous statment:cool2:

Hmmm. So if someone doesn't agree with you on what constitutes a good thread then they get banned?

I get your point about the abuse of the rating system but don't agree with the above quote. Also, I thought you retired as a moderator?

Fortunately, it's impossible to disagree with me as to what makes a good thread. I've laid out what a good thread is by stating it's a thoughtful one that attempts to inspire debate to laid out ideas. I've removed one's ability to consider THEIR thoughts on the other side as a reason to dismiss a thread. That's irrlevant. A good thread may appear in many forms inspiring many conversations, especially in cases you find the idea idiotic.

But, if you remove that thought, and focus on how it is presented, whether time was put into it, whether thought was put into it, you'll find the rating system is both easy and uniform. Only if you let your feelings for the content sway you would you be confused. So don't be confused.

I never retired from moderation. I stepped away because life was winning and needed to get things reordered. I'm still not sure I'm actually all that entirely back, but for the last couple days I've had time :0.

It's a nice idea, but there's a lot working against it.

First, "good" v. "bad" is not exactly black v. white. One person's good is another's bad.

Second, some people don't rate threads at all. I should know because I've done it once I think. Mainly it's because I don't even consider it unless I see a thread that really kicks ass.

Third, policing this could be a full-time job for several mods, so one person doing it is likely to lead to even less consistency.

For my part I'm going to start rating all the threads I read. Best of luck - let us know if it gets better or worse.

Fortunately, it's impossible to disagree with me as to what makes a good thread. I've laid out what a good thread is by stating it's a thoughtful one that attempts to inspire debate to laid out ideas. I've removed one's ability to consider THEIR thoughts on the other side as a reason to dismiss a thread. That's irrlevant. A good thread may appear in many forms inspiring many conversations, especially in cases you find the idea idiotic.

I completely get what you are saying. I would have to say then that posters should get tags. For instance, there are posters that specifically try to instigate others and not so much conversations. Others are ditractors. Maybe a rating system given to posters. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

most people rarely use the rating system because it's so abused. with hope more people start using it to drown out those who don't get it.

Again though, a good thread is exactly black and white. You're a perfect example of a guy who's so entirely nuts and fringe as to create a thread that EVERYONE would read and say, "This guy is crazy, one star," but, if they remove their opinion of the content, you can provide a provoking place to discuss a number of interesting ideas, which is what actually provides a good thread.

A bad thread is equally easy. It's short. It's made without any thought or basis. It's a spasm of statement more than a thought seeking conversation.

To be quite honest I have very rarely ever rated a thread since it seems somewhat pointless to me. Kudos to Diehard for calling it right but honestly, what were the chances that it would not get misused once in the hands of the kiddies?

I did get a mental flash of King Canute while reading this thread.....

A003283.jpg

Archived