Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official BBQ Thread

Capt. Kaos

Grill has to be hot enough to get the plank smoking. So about 10 to 15 minutes for salmon. Salmon is usually irregularly shaped, with a thick end, and a thin end. So it pays to be vigilante.

Ribs can stay on the grill muck longer. I usually do one hour, brush and turn. One hour, brush and turn. Drizzle a little maple syrup on and turn the heat up to finish for ten or twenty minutes. I know it is only an illusion, but it seems like if I stand next to the grill and drink beer, the food tastes better.

:cheers:

I think the same thing. The only problem is when I'm slow cooking something or smoking a pork shoulder, sometimes I'm too drunk to eat.:hysterical:

3 parts brown sugar, 1 part cracked black pepper. it spreads through the rub. Brown suger melts,carmalizes on the fish and locks the cracked black pepper onto the meat. It also compliments the pepper well with mix of hot and sweet.

Thanks! I ended up grilling some filet mignon instead. I'll do some salmon on Sunday. I can't wait!

3 parts brown sugar, 1 part cracked black pepper. it spreads through the rub. Brown suger melts,carmalizes on the fish and locks the cracked black pepper onto the meat. It also compliments the pepper well with mix of hot and sweet.

Try maple syrup with fresh cracked pepper. You can brush it on the salmon, and continue brushing on the thin, or skinny parts.

Also look for a salt called "Salish". It is a sea salt, smoked with alder. I am not a big fan of any salt, let alone gourmet salt. But this stuff is from Washington state, and a little goes a long way. It makes anything cooked on the stovetop or oven taste like it has been lightly smoked. Which is awesome for fish, or other things that can't be on the grill long.

• 3 weeks later...

Havent heard much from my fellow enthusiasts so I thought I'd share my dinner menu for this evening: Having a couple friends over for a little grilling action.

Appetizer: Shrimp and Bacon Wrapped Scallop Skewers

Dinner: BBQ Chicken Breasts - Burgers (w/MTH's seasoning) - Jalapeno Brats - Beef & Cheddar Dogs

Sides: Grilled Corn on the Cob - Baked Beans - Macaroni Salad

Drinks: Sweet Tea - Lemonade - a couple S.E.B.s (somebody else's beer)

All the prep is done and I'm just relaxing until it's time to light the charcoal :D

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if anyone can give me suggestions for smoking a whole chicken. Its not a big chicken I would say its only like 5 or 6 pounds. I have never smoked an entire chicken. I have done chicken breasts before.

I plan on doing it indirect heat on my gas grill. From what I have read probably around 250 is a good tempature and around 3-4 hours. Also should I just throw it directly on the grill grate and just turn it over every hour? Just wondering if anyone had any tips for me so I can make sure it comes out good. Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Rather than create my own thread, I figured I'd bump this one. Does anyone have a good rub recipe to use with ribs? I'm making some ribs this weekend and am debating on whether to create my own or go with a store bought rub.

I know how I'm going to cook them and am pretty sure I know what sauce I'm finishing them with, but need a rub recipe. Any information would be appreciated.

Rather than create my own thread, I figured I'd bump this one. Does anyone have a good rub recipe to use with ribs? I'm making some ribs this weekend and am debating on whether to create my own or go with a store bought rub.

I know how I'm going to cook them and am pretty sure I know what sauce I'm finishing them with, but need a rub recipe. Any information would be appreciated.

Gimme a sec and I'll put mine from memory to paper.

OK, I found a copy I had put in word and forgot about. Keep in mind that the measurements are approximate:

Ingredients:

• 1/3 cup paprika

• 3 tablespoons dry mustard

• 3 tablespoons onion powder

• 3 tablespoons garlic powder

• 1 tablespoons ground basil

• 1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (optional)

• 1 tablespoon cumin

• 1 tablespoon black pepper

• 1 tablespoon salt

• 1 tablespoon brown sugar

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients. Apply liberally to ribs and massage in.

6 tablespoons packed light brown sugar

1 tablespoon paprika

1 tablespoon garlic powder

2 teaspoons onion powder

1 - 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (to taste)

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon black pepper

3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Check out this one on virtual weber bullet. I've made these several times and my entire family says they are the best ribs they have ever had.

That site has a ton of info on bbq and grill. The forums have all kinds of recipes for everything, Beef, Chicken, pork, sauces, and dry rubs.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

recipe

1/4 cup sugar

1/4 cup non-iodized table salt

1/8 cup brown sugar, dried

4 teaspoons chili powder

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)

1 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground

1 teaspoon granulated garlic

1 teaspoon onion powder

I'm usually a fan of making my own rubs, but the last 2 times I've made ribs I've just used McCormick's BBQ rub because I had some on hand and they've turned out great. If you smoke them well you can make due with about anything on them.

:chair::chair::chair::saber::saber:

What is wrong with you SC Mustard base BBQ rocks!

I wrote that before I had the revelation of the greatness of SC Mustard Sauce.

Since then I have come to love the SC contribution to the world of BBQ

Hell, you even complimented me on my Mustard Sauce :D

I wrote that before I had the revelation of the greatness of SC Mustard Sauce.

Since then I have come to love the SC contribution to the world of BBQ

Hell, you even complimented me on my Mustard Sauce :D

I figured but I still had to give you a hard time :)

Archived