Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official BBQ Thread

Capt. Kaos

I really want to get my hands on some apple wood chips but I cant find any.

Try Ace Hardware. They carry different flavors of woods near the big green egg smokers.

Personally I think Pecan is the best smoking wood. It gives a nice smooth and sweet flavor that is not overpowering.

Try Ace Hardware. They carry different flavors of woods near the big green egg smokers.

Personally I think Pecan is the best smoking wood. It gives a nice smooth and sweet flavor that is not overpowering.

I want to try Pecan. I was reading an earlier post about the different wood types and what they do to the meat. I like sweet flavors instead of the overpowering flavors. My brother smoked a pork butt in mesquite for about 9 hours and it was so smokey I couldnt even eat the damn thing.

The guy who listed the wood chip flavors mentioned mesquite isnt best for long smoking but better for short smoking. I made him smoke the next pork butt in Hickory and it was much better. I am thinking I would like apple or Pecan even better.. I will do a quick search for Ace Hardware and see what I can find. Thanks Man!

I found an ace hardware in centerville that is about 30 mins from my house. I called them and they carry apple wood chips, not sure about pecan though. Thanks for the tip man, I am going to get them this week and smoke with em this weekend.

Big Green Egg for the win!!! Anyone going to the BBQ festival in DC in a couple weeks?
My girlfriends father has the Big Green Egg and when he first got it he used it alot now he never uses it. He only uses his gas grill now. It looks like the perfect thing to smoke food with, but he doesnt smoke food like I do. I might try and make it down to the festival.

My girlfriends father has the Big Green Egg and when he first got it he used it alot now he never uses it. He only uses his gas grill now. It looks like the perfect thing to smoke food with, but he doesnt smoke food like I do. I might try and make it down to the festival.

Ask him if he wants to part with the Big Green Egg. If he does and you dont want it, let me know Id love to buy it off of him. I use my Dads a lot. Ive taken it once to my place, but that SOB is so big I dont like lugging it around so I want my own now. I was at the BBQ fest last year and the BBQ and besides being hot as hell and packed to the gills, it was great.

I want to try Pecan. I was reading an earlier post about the different wood types and what they do to the meat. I like sweet flavors instead of the overpowering flavors. My brother smoked a pork butt in mesquite for about 9 hours and it was so smokey I couldnt even eat the damn thing.

The guy who listed the wood chip flavors mentioned mesquite isnt best for long smoking but better for short smoking. I made him smoke the next pork butt in Hickory and it was much better. I am thinking I would like apple or Pecan even better.. I will do a quick search for Ace Hardware and see what I can find. Thanks Man!

No problem always willing to help out a fellow smoker!!

P.S. I got my pecan from a tree cutter so I have a bunch that looks like I have firewood stacked in the backyard

Ask him if he wants to part with the Big Green Egg. If he does and you dont want it, let me know Id love to buy it off of him. I use my Dads a lot. Ive taken it once to my place, but that SOB is so big I dont like lugging it around so I want my own now. I was at the BBQ fest last year and the BBQ and besides being hot as hell and packed to the gills, it was great.
Of course I say he never uses it and I go over to his house tonight and he is using it. Only reason was because his gas grill was out. I dont think he has any interest in parting ways with it though.. If he ever mentions anything I will keep you in mind.

I've been grilling since that first "warm" day we got in the DC Metro area back in February. I have yet to do anything major like a turkey or a brisket, but I have done a few beer can chickens, smoked some salmon and a ton of steaks so far. I think I will probably try for some Ribs this weekend.

Sunday can't get here fast enough.....

Just nabbed 6 pounds of spare ribs for $1.49 a pound nomnomnom

Saturday night I'll grab a couple pound of skrimps and Sunday evening will be another glorious day.

Anyone have a dry rub recipe for ribs that they'd like to share?

I have my ol' standby recipe, just looking for something different.

Sunday can't get here fast enough.....

Just nabbed 6 pounds of spare ribs for $1.49 a pound nomnomnom

Saturday night I'll grab a couple pound of skrimps and Sunday evening will be another glorious day.

Anyone have a dry rub recipe for ribs that they'd like to share?

I have my ol' standby recipe, just looking for something different.

I posted earlier in the thread about a guy I met with an amazing dry pork rub. His website is www.sweetnheat.com He doesnt have the pork rub listed but if you email him he will send it to you.

Its $5 and a couple bucks for him to ship it to you. Not sure he can get it to you in time for the weekend but if you ever interested I definitely recommend you try it. Pretty much its says it all in the name. Its not to spicy and not to sweet but its great. I am actually going to order some from him right now for my ribs and pork butt for this weekend.

Experiment with some seasons. Usually the best rub for your ribs comes from your own imagination.

Most always you can count on a few ingredients to be a staple of a rib rub such as

~Brown Sugar

~White and Black Pepper

~Paprika

~Chili Seasoning

~Salt

I like to make a base barbeque rub and mix 50/50 with Sausage seasoning with my ribs. You can usually find sausage seasoning in a bag at a meat market.

This is my ol' faithful for dry rubbing ribs:

• 1/3 cup paprika
  • 3 tablespoons dry mustard
  • 3 tablespoons onion powder
  • 3 tablespoons garlic powder
  • 2 tablespoons ground basil
  • .5 tablespoon red pepper
  • 1 tablespoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 bay leaf

Combine all ingredients in food processor, blend. Store in an airtight container.

I couldnt wait til Sunday for the ribs before I burnt some charcoal so I just fired up the grill for some 2" thick sirloin steaks with a touch of olive oil and some fresh cracked black pepper. I will also be adding just a touch of wet hickory at the very beginning of the grilling. The steaks along with a potato that I microwaved for a few minutes then I'll cut it in half lengthwise and put on the grill for 5-10 minutes. I can't wait!!!

nomnomnom

Bumped the ribs to Saturday because of the forecast, damn chance of rain! :mad:

Anywho, they are dry rubbed and in the fridge just waiting to go in the smoker sometime near 9am tomorrow morning. :)

What's everyone eat with their ribs? aside from cornbread.

I usually try and get some skrimps and steamed fresh veggies.

along with a potato that I microwaved for a few minutes then I'll cut it in half lengthwise and put on the grill for 5-10 minutes. I can't wait!!!

nomnomnom

You gotta try potatoes like Pez fixes them. You take the potatoes and poke holes in them with a fork, then coat them with olive oil, a little salt, then crush up some garlic cloves and put them all round the potato and wrap it in foil. Then bake.

He fixed these one time when I was over there, best baked potatoes I've ever had.

You gotta try potatoes like Pez fixes them. You take the potatoes and poke holes in them with a fork, then coat them with olive oil, a little salt, then crush up some garlic cloves and put them all round the potato and wrap it in foil. Then bake.

He fixed these one time when I was over there, best baked potatoes I've ever had.

Thats exactly how I do it when I'm doing oven baked. My daughter asks for them this way alot!

It's always grilling & BBQ season at 1311!

I grilled some marinated sirloins, scallops and scrimps last night. Cooked 'em over some lump charcoal on the trusty Weber kettle.

Just a little olive oil, lime, sea-salt & cracked pepper on the scallops.

The shrimp got a similiar treatment, but I substituted "Todd's Crabby Dirt" instead of salt.

http://toddsdirt.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=8

Tossed a few alder chips on the coals and did the seafood while the steaks rested.

MMMMmmmmm!!!

Don't forget that Home Depot is selling 2 packs of the 22lb Kingsford briquets for $8.97. It's definitely time to stock up.

Archived