Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official BBQ Thread

Capt. Kaos

HOA? like a housing association?

I bbq with a simple charcoal grill. I hate using gas grills. And since I live in the #7 best place to bbq, I would love to participate in this. I bbq about 3-5 times a week from now til it snows. I even will bbq breakfast.

I think what you are doing is grilling, not bbq. There's a big difference. :D

Absolutely the best over the counter sauce on the market. I don't buy anything else.

As for my BBQ fancy, pulled pork with homemade BBQ sauce. I poke long deep holes in the pork butt (this is starting to sound gross) and stuff fresh garlic down in it. I rub it with a brown sugar, cayenne, chili powder and Tony's mixture and let is sit for about an hour.

I'm a big fan of Stubb's mesquite bbq sauce, and also Loose Lip Larry's.

IMO you have to be very conservative with brown sugar in a rub, because it burns. On boston butts, about 12-24 hrs ahead of time I rub with a combination of kosher salt, pepper, cayenne, paprika, allspice, and garlic powder. Cook at 250 for about 2 hours per lb, or until it hits 195 internal. Then wrap it in foil and put it in a cooler with beach towels and let it sit for about an hour before pulling.

Definitely enjoy making ribs too. I smoke it indirect at 250 for 3 hours, then wrap tight in aluminum foil (with an add-in, like syrup, honey, a tablespoon of butter, a little apple juice, etc.) and cook for another hour. Then unwrap and cook direct at 250 for an hour. They come out perfect, with just a little pull to the meat.

I've got a big green egg (www.biggreenegg.com). Lots of great recipes in their online forum. There are plenty of good bbq places in Atlanta, but I don't think any can make pulled pork or ribs that beat mine.

Guess it's only fair I share a recipe:

it's for my favorite BBQ sauce, a great compromise between the tomato and vinegar sauces that I love. Adapted from a Emeril recipe.

1 cup of apple cider vinegar

1 cup of ketchup

3 tbsp dark brown sugar (packed)

1 tbsp yellow mustard

1 tbsp molasses

1 tsp salt

.5 tsp cayenne powder

.5 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

add ingredients to a pot and simmer for 5-10 minutes, whisking occassionally. Cool and put in a container. The BBQ sauce gets better if you let it set for a couple days but you can use it right away.

I wish I had gotten my dads BBQ sauce recipe before he passed away. It was the best BBQ sauce I have ever tasted and everyone loved it. He used to sell it for a short time. I remember all the ingredients because he had them all over the kitchen while he was selling it but I have to play around with the amounts to figure out what he did. My brother and I plan to do that sometime soon.

Local website down here...

http://lowcountrybbq.org/

I highly recommend Fiery Ron's Home Team BBQ. When my wife and I got married in Charleston last year we did our rehearsal dinner there, and it was awesome.

As for my personal BBQ stylings, I'm starting to work my way in to the world of smoking. For our wedding reception last year we cooked a whole hog and it was awesome. Now I'm a big fan of smoking boston butts on a vertical smoker for pulled pork BBQ. I smoke it for 12 hours at about 225 the night before a football game, pull it, and bring it to the tailgate with my portable gas grill just to heat it up. My wife makes a great vinegar based sauce with lots of spice. Only trouble with the vertical water smoker is when you use charcoal you have to keep an eye on the temp every few hours and make sure the charcoals don't snuff themselves out after a while. But if something goes wrong you can always finish it up in the oven in a pinch, the meat doesn't really take any more smoke flavor in the last few hours anyway.

For normal day to day grilling I just use my propane grill. It's a matter of convenience because by the time I get home my pregnant wife is starving and ready to eat. Instead of waiting for the charcoals to get ready I just let it heat and throw it on. If I have time to I'll use charcoal any day of the week though.

I found myself with 2 grills (1 gas, 1 charcoal) and a smoker. I had the smoker for those long Saturday smoking events, the charcoal was for those early evening, time to spare dinners, and the gas grill was for the in a rush but want to grill something nights. I have since retired and removed the gas grill, it became a crutch. I was sacrificing flavor for convenience, I began making excuse after excuse to use the gas over the charcoal. After a few weeks of this and the dear wife pointing it out the gas grill went bye-bye!

The one thing I have found to be a must have on my deck now is a charcoal chimney ~> Charcoal20Chimneys.jpg

Greatest grilling invention ever!!!

I found myself with 2 grills (1 gas, 1 charcoal) and a smoker. I had the smoker for those long Saturday smoking events, the charcoal was for those early evening, time to spare dinners, and the gas grill was for the in a rush but want to grill something nights. I have since retired and removed the gas grill, it became a crutch. I was sacrificing flavor for convenience, I began making excuse after excuse to use the gas over the charcoal. After a few weeks of this and the dear wife pointing it out the gas grill went bye-bye!

The one thing I have found to be a must have on my deck now is a charcoal chimney ~> Charcoal20Chimneys.jpg

You're right, everything cooking method has its own particular purpose. The gas grill can definitely become a crutch, that's for sure. The only thing I prefer to cook on the propane are steaks because of the higher cooking temp I can reach. I know most swear by charcoal for steaks but it's just a matter of my preference. Everything else that I cook on propane is just a function of not having 20-30 minutes to wait before cooking. It's a shame, really.

And yes, the charcoal chimmney is money. SO much better than using lighter fluid or match light charcoal.

Only trouble with the vertical water smoker is when you use charcoal you have to keep an eye on the temp every few hours and make sure the charcoals don't snuff themselves out after a while. But if something goes wrong you can always finish it up in the oven in a pinch, the meat doesn't really take any more smoke flavor in the last few hours anyway.

The only thing you have to be careful about is when that fire goes out. If the meat is below a certain temp internally (130, I think) when the fire goes out, and if it stays out for too long, you need to throw that meat away. NASTY bacteria will grow in it, and you can't kill them no matter how long you cook it. Much better to be safe and throw it out then to risk giving everyone a bad bout of food poisoning.

Check out http://www.thebbqguru.com/ They make a device that will regulate and control temperature to keep your fire from snuffing out and prevent temperature spikes. You set the temp you want it to maintain inside the smoker, and it has a clip thermometer that goes inside. There's a small blower with a fan that connects to the vent on the smoker, and it controls air flow to keep it pegged at exactly the temperature you want so you can sleep easy and not have to worry about it. My wife got me one for xmas two years ago, and while I was skeptical at first, it's a great invention, especially if you're cooking overnight.

You're right, everything cooking method has its own particular purpose. The gas grill can definitely become a crutch, that's for sure. The only thing I prefer to cook on the propane are steaks because of the higher cooking temp I can reach. I know most swear by charcoal for steaks but it's just a matter of my preference. Everything else that I cook on propane is just a function of not having 20-30 minutes to wait before cooking. It's a shame, really.

And yes, the charcoal chimmney is money. SO much better than using lighter fluid or match light charcoal.

That's my favorite thing about the Big Green Egg, is its versatility. I can slowcook a butt at 250 for 12 hours without adding a single piece of charcoal, or I can bring it up to 650 degrees and sear a steak. 2-3 minutes, flip, 2-3 minutes, close all vents (snuffing the fire) and let it sit in there for 2-5 minutes depending on thickness. Juicy and delicious!

The one thing I have found to be a must have on my deck now is a charcoal chimney ~>

The chimney is a must have. no muss and no fuss. No lighter fluid either.

I had a neighbor that had a gas smoker and it worked pretty well. It was similar to the one in the link but taller. you could actually hang meat inside it.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07115884000P?vName=Outdoor%20Living&cName=Grills&OutdoorCooking&sName=Smokers%20&%20Specialty%20Cookers&psid=NEXTAG01&sid=IDx20070921x00003j

I too have a propane grill, but it is rarely used. I think my wife was the last to use it and that was just to quickly grill a steak.

There's nothing that beats the flavor of good smoke.

I recommend Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs,Mops, and Salsas.

Rudechain, question for you. Does ornamental cherry give the same flavor as fruit bearing cherry?

I recommend Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces 175 Make-Your-Own Sauces, Marinades, Dry Rubs, Wet Rubs,Mops, and Salsas.

Rudechain, question for you. Does ornamental cherry give the same flavor as fruit bearing cherry?

Well this is just speculation, but my guess would be yes but not nearly as strong or sweet.

Now I am going to have to try and find some.

:laugh:

Use this barbecue sauce on ribs, chops, steaks, or burgers.

Ingredients:

* 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce

* 1/3 cup molasses

* 1/4 cup vinegar

* 1 clove garlic, minced

* 1 teaspoon chili powder

* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

* dash salt

Preparation:

Combine all ingredients in saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Makes about 1 cup of barbecue sauce, for ribs, pork chops, burgers, steaks, or wieners. For oven barbecued ribs, baste during last hours of baking.

Then there is also this one, it's a bit easier to prepare

Molasses BBQ Sauce

1 cup ketchup

1/2 cup molasses

1/4 cup vinegar

1/4 cup Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon Tabasco

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Use as you would with any recipes calling for BBQ sauce.

This tasty sauce recipe is made by combining 1/2 cup of prepared yellow mustard, 1/4 cup of cider vinegar, 3 tablespoons of brown sugar (dark), 1/2 teaspoon of paprika, 1/2 teaspoon of Worstershire sauce, 1/2 teaspoon white pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (powdered), and 1/4 teaspoon of black pepper.

To mix the ingredients, I find it easiest to add everything to a small, tightly sealing jar, and shake the livin' daylights out of it! Not only do you get a great sauce with this recipe, but you also get a nice little workout!

This mustard-based barbeque sauce has a smooth consistency...the tartness of the vinegar is balanced by the brown sugar sweetness. This is my favorite of all the non-tomato based bbq sauces.

Occasionally I put this sauce together with more cayenne pepper. One full teaspoon of the red powder gives this sauce an enjoyable level of flame! (If you like that sort of thing!)

The flavor of this mustard-based sauce works very well with pork and chicken. Actually, I keep a squeeze bottle of it around for other stuff, like fish and meatloaf. I've even been known to dip my french fries in this one!

This barbecue sauce is good to baste with, but like other sauces with sugar, to prevent burning, it should only be used on the meat as it's finishing up on the smoker.

South Carolina style mustard barbeque sauce is a good all-around sauce. It might take some getting used to, but it'll grow on you if you give it half a chance!

* 1 cup prepared yellow mustard

* 1/4 cup honey

* 1/4 cup light brown sugar

* 1/4 cup white vinegar

* ground black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

1. In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the mustard, honey, brown sugar and vinegar. Season with black pepper. Bring to a boil, and let simmer for 5 minutes. Pour over cooked pulled pork or beef. If you want more flavor, let the meat simmer in the sauce for about 30 minutes.

Love, and live to grill out.

After 20 years of charcoal......never again.

I finally broke down and purchased a gas grill. Easily the best purchase I have made in the last two years.

Charcoal was such a pain in the ass, took too long, and was a mess to clean up and to prepare.

No thanks. I have been freed!

For those who like Jerk Chicken try this sometime.

Marinate 24 hours 5 - 10 pounds of purdue style fresh chicken wings.

use this as the marinade

island-pit-jerk-sauce-large.jpg

Its tough to find, but down here in florida I can find it in Publix supermarkets.

Anyway after marinating for 24 hours grill them up over charcoal and get them somewhat crispy

Awsome!! Make you suck you teeth

Wonderful thread. I absolutely love bbq. I smoke ribs atleast once a month and with summer time coming up soon I will probably do it twice a month. My brother is even more of a fanatic then me. He smokes a pork but often.

I actually met a guy at a networking event one time that was showing a product called sweet & heat rubs. He had a pork bbq rub that I used and it was absolutely the best rub I have ever had. His idea behind the product was everything he tried was either to sweet or to hot so he invented his own that was right in the middle. He also has a chili mix that he just invented that I tried and was fantastic as well. If anyone is interested here is his website http://shop.sweetnheat.com/main.sc just a great product.

I am a huge fan of sweet baby rays so I will rub down my ribs with sweet n heat and then throw a little layer of sweet baby rays on and throw them on the gril for 3 hours at aroudn 250-275 and I have a smoker box I throw on my burner on my gas grill. It smokes for about a half an hour so everytime I change the smoke box I throw a little more bbq sauce on. I usually use hickory wood chips Mesquite is a little to strong for my liking. I really want to get my hands on some apple wood chips but I cant find any.

We also have a charcoal smoker at the house we use for the pork butt. Damn all this talk is getting me hungry. I am actually going down to my fathers property at colonial beach this weekend and probalby will bring down the charcoal smoker and cook up some ribs. YUMMY!

Archived