Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official BBQ Thread

Capt. Kaos

Let's talk BBQ.

I love to BBQ, grill, and smoke any type of meat I can find a way to cook.

I'm always in search of new recipes, techniques, and tips to make a better meal. I'm a huge fan of tomato BBQ sauce and vinegar BBQ sauce, not such a fan of mustard BBQ sauce.

I know we have some grillin' gurus out there..... let's have it......

edit: since the inception of this thread I have come to appreciate the mustard sauces, as a matter of fact thats all I have been using for the majority of the summer.

HOA? like a housing association?

I bbq with a simple charcoal grill. I hate using gas grills. And since I live in the #7 best place to bbq, I would love to participate in this. I bbq about 3-5 times a week from now til it snows. I even will bbq breakfast.

Yes ma'm. They're kind of strict here about that in these condos. For other reasons,I call them the porch police. :rolleyes: I do my best though. Slow cook a lot and can add chips in water on the hot side. Did decent job of beer can chicken despite the no charcoal thing.

I love grilling... I have a 4 burner propane grill which I love BUT I am gettng a charcoal smoker/grill combo this summer to try out some different techniques.

I have a few favorites :

Steak with crispy outside crust:

Sirloins (or better) steaks at least 1-1.5 inches tick and let sit until room temp

Brush with olive oil

Add your favorite seasonings (mine is Chef Pauls BBQ rub)

Get grill as hot as you can

Flame them for 2-3 minutes per side.

Turn down grill to medium

Grill for another 3-4 minutes per side - take off grill and let sit for about 5 minutes

the steaks will have a wonderful crispy crust!

Kabobs:

cut up a sirloin steak, peppers, onions , cherry tomatoes...

Put them on the skewer and snake bacon in between... also Shrimp is nice... sprinkle on bbq seasoning and drip bit of olive oil and then grill until meat and veggies are cooked...excellent!

Well, I prefer to smoke a brisket but it's quite important you do it right. My recipe is always evolving but bear with me here as I try to muddle my way through a suggestion. ( this can work with any beef though)

purchase a cheap bottle of red wine and a 2 good bottle of red wine.

the night before, get one of those huge freezer bags and put the meat in there, pour the bottle of cheap wine into there along with crushed garlic. ( more or less depending on amount of meat)

Drink a bottle of wine, or instead of wine a six pack or beverage of your choice.

The next morning, you have to get the fire going. A brisket takes quite a while to cook as temps need to be very low ( 200 degrees is about right) You can use charcoal if you like but I have a smoker that keeps the fire off to the side. ( imagine a 50 gallon drum with a pony keg welded on one end. The 50 gal has a smoke stack on the opposite end, and of course opens up to reveal a grill. While th pony keg opens up to reveal a fire box.

Now I burn wood, but do start with a bed of charcoal. I then use mesquite thoroughly soaked with water.

Ok so we got the fire started, lets turn back to the beef.

I use salt, peeper, dill weed, a little rosemary, dried onion and fresh garlic. Take the beef out of the marinade, and pat dry with a paper towel. Then take your spice mix and rub into the beef. get it in there good. ( actually you want your meat to rest at room temp for a little while, I have better luck getting the rub to penetrate when it's room temp rather than straight from the fridge)

Check your temp, and make sure it's not to hot. then place the meat as far away as the fire as you can. Apply soaked wood to the coals, or if like me, I burn some wood in there too and apply soaked wood to create a nice smoke. Now keep every vent closed except the smoke stack and down by the fire, leave it open just a crack to allow the fire to get fresh air and create a flow for the smoke to ride over the meat.

It takes a long time but the brisket comes out so good. My brother in law calls my smoked brisket "beef bacon".

Note: smoked meat will appear pink even when well done so don't let that fool you. I have tried other wood, notably hickory, apply and plum. ( actually plum works best with pork. I have not found any wood that I like for fish though)

When it's done, enjoy that second bottle with dinner.

Good luck.

Sweet Baby Ray's FTW! Also I like to marinate chicken breasts in Italian dressing before throwing them on the grill. Our patio is ridiculous with grills: my awesome cheap-o charcoal rig that I replace every two years, my wife's lame gas job, and a baby gasser she uses for little stuff (which needs to go bye-bye at some point). Good times in the summertime!

Guess it's only fair I share a recipe:

it's for my favorite BBQ sauce, a great compromise between the tomato and vinegar sauces that I love. Adapted from a Emeril recipe.

1 cup of apple cider vinegar

1 cup of ketchup

3 tbsp dark brown sugar (packed)

1 tbsp yellow mustard

1 tbsp molasses

1 tsp salt

.5 tsp cayenne powder

.5 tsp crushed red pepper flakes

add ingredients to a pot and simmer for 5-10 minutes, whisking occassionally. Cool and put in a container. The BBQ sauce gets better if you let it set for a couple days but you can use it right away.

Local website down here...

http://lowcountrybbq.org/

Good find torresA. But you know I had a hard time when i moved down here. You see, when I BBQ, my sauce is a molassas or honey based sauce. Where down here, it's more of a vinegar base. Just not something I can get used to easily.

On another note, when I lived up near DC in Accokeek, I tried some pulled pork BBQ sandwiches and they put cole slaw on it. I had never tried it, but I have to say it was quite tasty.

My HOA does not allow charcoal grills. Therefore I have to disqualify myself.

Get an electric smoker, no charcoal needed. We have one at the beach, throw some ribs in a rib rack, put some wood and water in the pan, go to the beach, come home 5 to 6 hours later and wallah, done.

I have a charcaol smoker at my house, it's a hecht of a lot more work the electric gives you a perfect product everytime.

Good find torresA. But you know I had a hard time when i moved down here. You see, when I BBQ, my sauce is a molassas or honey based sauce. Where down here, it's more of a vinegar base. Just not something I can get used to easily.

On another note, when I lived up near DC in Accokeek, I tried some pulled pork BBQ sandwiches and they put cole slaw on it. I had never tried it, but I have to say it was quite tasty.

All depends on which BBQ joint you go to. Many are Vinager based, I perfer Tomato based or Mustard based (depending on mood)

Alder is kind of like a mild cedar crossed with apple.

Good with all kinds of fish.

I have been experimenting with several types of woods.

Acacia is similar to mesquite but not as strong. This wood burns very hot and should be used in small amounts or for limited amounts of time.

Almond give a nutty, sweet flavor that is good with all meats. Almond is similar to Pecan.

Apple is very mild in flavor and gives food a sweetness. This is good with poultry and pork. Apple will discolor chicken skin (turns in dark brown).

Apricot is great for poultry and pork. This wood is similar to hickory but is sweeter and milder in flavor.

Ash has a light, unique flavor. This wood burns fast.

Black Walnut has a heavy flavor that should probably be mixed with other wood because of the bitter taste it can impart.

Birch has a similar flavor to maple. This wood is good with pork and poultry.

Cherry has a sweet, mild flavor that goes great with virtually everything. This is one of the most popular woods for smoking.

Chokecherry has a bitter flavor and should only be used in small amounts for short period of times.

Citrus woods like lemon or orange have a moderate smoke that gives a light fruity flavor that is more mild than apple or cherry.

Cottonwood is very mild in flavor and should be used with stronger flavored woods. Avoid green wood.

Crabapple is very similar to apple wood and can be used interchangeably.

Fruit, like apple, apricot or cherry, fruit wood gives off a sweet, mild flavor that is good with poultry or ham.

Grapefruit is a mild wood that produces a good, smoky flavor. A good wood for any meat.

Grapevines make a lot of tart smoke and gives a fruity but sometimes heavy flavor. Use it sparingly with poultry or lamb.

Hickory adds a strong flavor to meats, so be careful not to use to excessively. It’s good with beef and lamb.

Lemon is a mild wood that produces a good, smoky flavor. A good wood for any meat.

Lilac produces a good supply of mild, sweet smoke. A popular wood for smoked cheese, but also good for poultry and pork.

Maple, like fruit wood gives a sweet flavor that is excellent with poultry and ham.

Mesquite has been very popular of late and is good for grilling, but since it burns hot and fast, it's not recommended for long barbecues. Mesquite is probably the strongest flavored wood; hence its popularity with restaurant grills that cook meat for a very short time.

Mulberry is sweet and very similar to apple.

Nectarine is great for poultry and pork. This wood is similar to hickory but is sweeter and milder in flavor.

Oak is strong but not overpowering and is a very good wood for beef or lamb. Oak is probably the most versatile of the hard woods.

Orange is a mild wood that produces a good, smoky flavor. A good wood for any meat.

Peach is great for poultry and pork. This wood is similar to hickory but is sweeter and milder in flavor.

Pear is similar to apple and produces a sweet, mild flavor.

Pecan burns cool and provides a delicate flavor. It’s a much subtler version of hickory.

Plum is great for poultry and pork. This wood is similar to hickory but is sweeter and milder in flavor.

Walnut has a heavy, smoky flavor and should be mixed with milder flavored woods.

I have been experimenting with several types of woods.

Acacia is similar to mesquite but not as strong. This wood burns very hot and should be used in small amounts or for limited amounts of time.

Almond give a nutty, sweet flavor that is good with all meats. Almond is similar to Pecan.

Apple is very mild in flavor and gives food a sweetness. This is good with poultry and pork. Apple will discolor chicken skin (turns in dark brown).

Apricot is great for poultry and pork. This wood is similar to hickory but is sweeter and milder in flavor.

Ash has a light, unique flavor. This wood burns fast.

Black Walnut has a heavy flavor that should probably be mixed with other wood because of the bitter taste it can impart.

Birch has a similar flavor to maple. This wood is good with pork and poultry.

Cherry has a sweet, mild flavor that goes great with virtually everything. This is one of the most popular woods for smoking.

Chokecherry has a bitter flavor and should only be used in small amounts for short period of times.

Citrus woods like lemon or orange have a moderate smoke that gives a light fruity flavor that is more mild than apple or cherry.

Cottonwood is very mild in flavor and should be used with stronger flavored woods. Avoid green wood.

Crabapple is very similar to apple wood and can be used interchangeably.

Fruit, like apple, apricot or cherry, fruit wood gives off a sweet, mild flavor that is good with poultry or ham.

Grapefruit is a mild wood that produces a good, smoky flavor. A good wood for any meat.

Grapevines make a lot of tart smoke and gives a fruity but sometimes heavy flavor. Use it sparingly with poultry or lamb.

Hickory adds a strong flavor to meats, so be careful not to use to excessively. It’s good with beef and lamb.

Lemon is a mild wood that produces a good, smoky flavor. A good wood for any meat.

Lilac produces a good supply of mild, sweet smoke. A popular wood for smoked cheese, but also good for poultry and pork.

Maple, like fruit wood gives a sweet flavor that is excellent with poultry and ham.

Mesquite has been very popular of late and is good for grilling, but since it burns hot and fast, it's not recommended for long barbecues. Mesquite is probably the strongest flavored wood; hence its popularity with restaurant grills that cook meat for a very short time.

Mulberry is sweet and very similar to apple.

Nectarine is great for poultry and pork. This wood is similar to hickory but is sweeter and milder in flavor.

Oak is strong but not overpowering and is a very good wood for beef or lamb. Oak is probably the most versatile of the hard woods.

Orange is a mild wood that produces a good, smoky flavor. A good wood for any meat.

Peach is great for poultry and pork. This wood is similar to hickory but is sweeter and milder in flavor.

Pear is similar to apple and produces a sweet, mild flavor.

Pecan burns cool and provides a delicate flavor. It’s a much subtler version of hickory.

Plum is great for poultry and pork. This wood is similar to hickory but is sweeter and milder in flavor.

Walnut has a heavy, smoky flavor and should be mixed with milder flavored woods.

serious stuff thanks

have you actually used all of these different types of wood ?

and where do you purchase the odd ball flavors?

Sweet Baby Ray's FTW! Also I like to marinate chicken breasts in Italian dressing before throwing them on the grill. Our patio is ridiculous with grills: my awesome cheap-o charcoal rig that I replace every two years, my wife's lame gas job, and a baby gasser she uses for little stuff (which needs to go bye-bye at some point). Good times in the summertime!

Absolutely the best over the counter sauce on the market. I don't buy anything else.

As for my BBQ fancy, pulled pork with homemade BBQ sauce. I poke long deep holes in the pork butt (this is starting to sound gross) and stuff fresh garlic down in it. I rub it with a brown sugar, cayenne, chili powder and Tony's mixture and let is sit for about an hour. Get the smoker cranked up to about 200-250 and throw on the Pecan wood; sweet smoke. I'm not down with the mesquite and hickory that much. Too pungent for my taste. Once the connecting tissue breaks down I pull it apart saving the garlic for my sauce. Make a nice little pile of burnt ends for the baked beans.

For the sauce I use ketchup, garlic, drippings from the pork, red wine vinegar, brown sugar and more Tony's Chacheres. This isn't a fine art, I keep adding this and that until it get's just right. I tend to go a little heavy on the vinegar because when mixed with the pork it mellows out.

Slap it on a bun and top it with some slaw and slap your momma!:chair:

I too marinade chicken with italian dressing. Steaks; worhestire, red wine vinegar, dales steak sauce. Dales is super salty so I usually mellow it with a dark beer. There's a phenomenal pork loin recipe on http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/pork-tenderloin-with-chimichurri-recipe/index.html, this stuff is amazing. Make sure you use the fresh ingredients as opposed to the dry ones.

serious stuff thanks

have you actually used all of these different types of wood ?

and where do you purchase the odd ball flavors?

I have a very understanding wife that allows me to sample woods I find. This list is a complilation of over twenty years.

As for how I get the wood? Well I beg friends to send me wood from all over the country. When it arrives, I label it and store it. When it comes time for use, I break out the hatchet and break it up into large chips or blocks.

Now there are some woods that can be harder to find, but you can generally find them off the net. ( but be forewarned, i have received hickory when ordering plum )

The general rule, is if it's a hardwood you can try it. If it has sap or creosine, like pine woods, avoid.

Absolutely the best over the counter sauce on the market. I don't buy anything else.

As for my BBQ fancy, pulled pork with homemade BBQ sauce. I poke long deep holes in the pork butt (this is starting to sound gross) and stuff fresh garlic down in it. I rub it with a brown sugar, cayenne, chili powder and Tony's mixture and let is sit for about an hour. Get the smoker cranked up to about 200-250 and throw on the Pecan wood; sweet smoke. I'm not down with the mesquite and hickory that much. Too pungent for my taste. Once the connecting tissue breaks down I pull it apart saving the garlic for my sauce. Make a nice little pile of burnt ends for the baked beans.

For the sauce I use ketchup, garlic, drippings from the pork, red wine vinegar, brown sugar and more Tony's Chacheres. This isn't a fine art, I keep adding this and that until it get's just right. I tend to go a little heavy on the vinegar because when mixed with the pork it mellows out.

Slap it on a bun and top it with some slaw and slap your momma!:chair:

I too marinade chicken with italian dressing. Steaks; worhestire, red wine vinegar, dales steak sauce. Dales is super salty so I usually mellow it with a dark beer. There's a phenomenal pork loin recipe on http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/pork-tenderloin-with-chimichurri-recipe/index.html, this stuff is amazing. Make sure you use the fresh ingredients as opposed to the dry ones.

Pecan is a nice wood too. I used that quite a bit in my past. Harder to find in Georgia, but I can always drive up to NC and pick some up.

Try slow cooking some portabella mushrooms with that wood. It's quite nice.

Archived