Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official BBQ Thread

Capt. Kaos

Is it possible to die of smoke poisoning? Tomorrow I'm putting ribs on the smoker for lunch and then brisket for dinner.
If its possible I would already be dead. I smoked Ribs on Tuesday, eat some of a pork shoulder Wed, and did Ribs again yesterday. The ribs were so damn good Tues I had to do them again for my buddy.

Rather than create my own thread, I figured I'd bump this one. Does anyone have a good rub recipe to use with ribs? I'm making some ribs this weekend and am debating on whether to create my own or go with a store bought rub.

I know how I'm going to cook them and am pretty sure I know what sauce I'm finishing them with, but need a rub recipe. Any information would be appreciated.

Here's an easy one that's good on ribs, pork butt, brisket...

Lone Star rub:

5 T kosher salt

1.5 T cayenne

2 T black pepper

0.5 T garlic powder

1 T paprika

1 T all spice

Making some smoked meatloaf tonight. Can't wait :hungry:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=6472841&postcount=126

Smoked meatloaf, very interesting, how long do you cook it for?

We smoked a corn beef a couple of weeks ago just to see what it would taste like, and it turned out pretty nice.

It takes about 1.5h at 350 indirect, plus another 15 min tented under foil. The recipe is posted earlier in this thread, at the link in my post above. Highly recommended. Always a crowd pleaser

I am more curious where you are storing a whole pig for a day.

I have been to pig roasts but never seen them directly on the grill, I am sure it possible, but am more curious to how it's done, temps, how often do you flip it.

I am guessing you pick the pig up in the morning, bring it home, rub it down, and start cooking it.

The flame is so low really can't call it over direct flame, and there is a metal plate between the flame and grill.

The metal plate makes a bigger difference than the size of the flame. Over the course of a long cook, you would still have concentrated heat in one area, plus you would be cooking the bottom more quickly than the top. The metal plate diffuses the heat, and makes it more like an oven, so I would call what you're doing an indirect heat.

I am picking up the Pig thursday, Usually just store it by covering it with a few bags of ice. I'll wake up early Friday and start the grill. maybe 6am to 6pm kind of thing for Friday night....

No I don't dig a pit or cook over hot charcoals, but a grill like this is great. I usually start it at night, as long as the flame is going as low as it can, I just go to bed and wake up in the morning to a mostly cooked pig. This Friday it ill be more like, Start the pig and go golfing and come back to a pig.

Nice looking grill there. Are you planning on using smoke? My reason for asking is that it looks like the smoking/indirect heat method will be a little tough considering the size of a pig and the size of the grill. ( well I am having a hard time guessing the dimensions of the grill but it looks to be 4-6 feet wide.)

I posted a list of woods and the flavors they create. ( thanks for whoever suggested alder, I tried it with some sea bass and it came out very nice)

http://extremeskins.com/showpost.php?p=6413205&postcount=21

Anyone have a Infra Red grill?

I got one for X-mas and it is amazing. I have a Charbroil Red. I have gotten it to temps approaching 750 degrees - it nearly melted the garbage can in the garage.

It took me a few times to get it right but once I figured how to use it, my steaks have just never tasted better. Cleaning is a breeze, too! - you just turn up the heat and it burns everything to ash - and just brush it away.

It definitley works best on very thick steaks (any size is nice, though). You just season them, brush with olive oil and get the grill up to around 550-600 degrees. The heat sears the meat and locks in the juices and they are cooked in around 10 minutes.

I did thick hamburgers for the 1st time last weekend and everyone was raving about the flavor. There is no open flame (at least on mine) and no flare ups. I am trying some salmon this weekend and some shrimp and bacon kabobs...

The grill cost me $450 - it's not cheap but it is well worth the money. It also uses less than 1/2 the propane of a regular grill. I have been using my tank for almost 4 months now - quite frequently and started with 1/2 a tank - its still reads just below 1/2!

Archived