Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official BBQ Thread

Capt. Kaos

I had 12:30 tee time so I left it runninga nd didn't get back til right before 6pm... over cooked it some, but internally was still good.

Looks delicious, but no head on the pig was a mistake. The cheek meat is some of the best.

• 4 weeks later...

I got a rack of ribs, couple lbs. of wings, and i'm trying to decide between a boston butt or a chuck roast. Smoking meat and drinking beer, God I love America! :D

BTW, that grill that TorresA has is frickin awesome! Any grill that requires a license plate is cool anytime. :)

Question for the experts. I recently killed a wild boar and my first couple attempts at smoking the ribs and then a shank have been a little off. Both ended up very dry, even though I rubbed them good and smoked them low and slow. I even wrapped them shank in foil to get osme steam going after 4 hours but it still ended up dry.

My next one is a full shoulder so I'm thinking my last resort is to inject the meat and see if that does the trick.

Does anyone have experience with wild boar? Is the meat naturally drier or are there any additional suggestions?

Question for the experts. I recently killed a wild boar and my first couple attempts at smoking the ribs and then a shank have been a little off. Both ended up very dry, even though I rubbed them good and smoked them low and slow. I even wrapped them shank in foil to get osme steam going after 4 hours but it still ended up dry.

My next one is a full shoulder so I'm thinking my last resort is to inject the meat and see if that does the trick.

Does anyone have experience with wild boar? Is the meat naturally drier or are there any additional suggestions?

I think that the wild boar is drier because it is much more lean. This site seems to have some good info:http://www.askthemeatman.com/cooking_wild_boar.htm

The wild boar that i've done in the past has always come out a little dry. The best one I did, after letting it slow cook I made a bath for it(beef broth, sweet tea, and quarted onions) in one of those throw away aluminum pans, cover with aluminum foil, and let it sit for several more hours in the grill while the heat dissipated. The liquid went about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way up and I flipped it every hour or so and then covered it back up. It was still on the dry side comparable to beef or pork, but slightly better, sort of on the same scale as a deer roast.

The wild boar that i've done in the past has always come out a little dry. The best one I did, after letting it slow cook I made a bath for it(beef broth, sweet tea, and quarted onions) in one of those throw away aluminum pans, cover with aluminum foil, and let it sit for several more hours in the grill while the heat dissipated. The liquid went about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way up and I flipped it every hour or so and then covered it back up. It was still on the dry side comparable to beef or pork, but slightly better, sort of on the same scale as a deer roast.

I might try that tea bit,I'm doing some deer roast...I usually just roasting bag it with veggies and some beef broth after smoking

I might try that tea bit,I'm doing some deer roast...I usually just roasting bag it with veggies and some beef broth after smoking

It gives it a little something extra in the flavor department and assists in breaking down the connective tissue in the meat. I like to use broth also, but it brings alot of sodium to the party and sometimes I get carried away with it and it ends up on the salty side (which doesn't bother me, but some people try to monitor that kind of stuff). Sometimes i'll throw some Dr. Pepper in the mix also, but i'm a bit of DP junky so i'll use that on just about any meat :D

Real BBQ'rs don't wait until Memorial Day to start Grilling, we grill in rain, snow, sleet and sunshine. ;)

If you haven't BBQ'd in the rain or snow, you shouldn't be allowed in this thread.

If you haven't BBQ'd in the rain or snow, you shouldn't be allowed in this thread.

Agreed.

There is no "grilling season", unless January thru December counts!

Even after that last horrific snowstorm, the trusty Weber kettle was never out of commission.

I love to BBQ in the winter.

There's nothing like the smell, of all that smoky goodness ,as it wafts through the crisp winter air.

I don't have any experience with wild boar.

But, one trick some people use for making brisket flats more moist is, after taking if off the smoker, wrap in heavy duty aluminum foil with half a can of low sodium beef consumme, and let it sit in a cooler surrounded by beach towels for about an hour.

Similar thing could work for you...

Archived