Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Its about sending a message!

PROSCOUT

Do you remember in THE DARK KNIGHT when the JOKER burns 100 million dollars in front of some mob people, and when asked why?, he says....

"It's not about the money, it's about sending a message".

Well I have watched Vinnie/Danny bringing in offensive linemen and receivers one after another this offseason. It's pretty much of a daily routine for me to check the website each day and find out what receiver we added or what lineman we added today, and we STILL have June cuts coming from other teams.

I am now firmly convinced that all of these additions are "about sending a message".

A message to Thomas and Kelly that they better get well quick, because this train is about to leave, with or without them.

A message to Jansen, or Thomas, or Heyer, or Rabach or anybody besides Samuels that this season, sack after sack will NOT be tolerated and a replacement is no longer a season away: it's a day away.

These two latest receiver additions, including yet another former Tennessee Titan, caught me by surprise so I can only imagine how Thomas and Kelly feel right about now. I can also imagine that it is highly likely we will see BOTH of these boys on the practice field...SOONER than LATER.

I don't often say good things about Vinnie/Danny, but this time I applaud how aggressive they are and I have to complement them and agree with them: "It's about sending a message"!" :helmet:

I guess I can see your logic, but there is a fine line between sending a message and demoralizing your younger players. I mean were Danny and Vinny sending a message to Campbell by pursuing Sanchez in the draft after sitting down with him and "working things out" after the Cutler fiasco?

I guess I can see your logic, but there is a fine line between sending a message and demoralizing your younger players. I mean were Danny and Vinny sending a message to Campbell by pursuing Sanchez in the draft after sitting down with him and "working things out" after the Cutler fiasco?

You know what? That is a distinct possibilty! And whether it was INTENTIONAL or not....wouldn't you say that he got the message?

Jansen wants to be the starter because he has always been the starter and I am sure he beleives he can still do it. However, he also knows he is still getting more money than most of us will see in our lives either way. At least in his case, a demotion doesn't mean getting cut.

For the record, I still love him for his play with two broken thumbs during what ammounts to the "glory days" for us younger fans back in 2005. He is diminished but we can't get rid of him so we might as well find a use.

As for the rest, they may very well be gone if they don't get the message. I just hope we are more willing this year to let draft picks go when better talent shows up on the preseason field.

Leading with fear is never a winning plan.

I agree with sending messages, but, the problem is you gotta also have a history of rewarding your own players and not alienating people a la the Campbell situation. If they wanted to send a message then the Sanchez thing was pointless because the message was signed, sealed, and delivered when they tried to acquire Cutler.

Campbell needed to be kicked in the butt, so YAH. I hope he responds and has his best year, it might have been what the Dr. ordered. If not, then of course they were right to pursue other options. Same for Colt, you noticed he turned it up a notch.

I think it either motivates you or folds you, both improves the team.

what a capital idea! management by message sending! perhaps vinny/danny are also twittering these guys and visiting their facebook sites with nasty-grams. brilliant!!! psychological manipulation of the highest degree!

and here I thought they were making up for weak links in their mismanaged roster. or that they had the foresight to draft/sign players who were already dedicated to their craft and motivated by teammates/salary to perform. seems to me there is a weak link in your chain of thought.

Their is nothing like sending the message of "We will replace you with camp fodder, and people we sign to the NFL equivalent of the 10 day contract"

I mean really we sent the message when we went after Cutler and had a Sanchez romance. We sent the message when we didn't draft 1 OL in the draft.

Sending a message doesn't mean anything if your doing it with empty threats, to your established and drafted players. All we are doing is trying to fill a void with a bunch of guys who couldn't get drafted.

It's not about sending a message to the young guys. It's about looking for another WR who may be as high as 2 on the depth charts or as low as 5. I would be looking closer at Thrash's job being in jeopardy. They could be looking for a guy to jump in and take Kelly's place if he doesn't recover from the knee injury.

I think it would be a little short-sighted if the front office is looking to replace our second round picks after one year and an extra OTA.

Do you remember in THE DARK KNIGHT when the JOKER burns 100 million dollars in front of some mob people, and when asked why?, he says....

"It's not about the money, it's about sending a message".

Well I have watched Vinnie/Danny bringing in offensive linemen and receivers one after another this offseason. It's pretty much of a daily routine for me to check the website each day and find out what receiver we added or what lineman we added today, and we STILL have June cuts coming from other teams.

I am now firmly convinced that all of these additions are "about sending a message".

A message to Thomas and Kelly that they better get well quick, because this train is about to leave, with or without them.

A message to Jansen, or Thomas, or Heyer, or Rabach or anybody besides Samuels that this season, sack after sack will NOT be tolerated and a replacement is no longer a season away: it's a day away.

These two latest receiver additions, including yet another former Tennessee Titan, caught me by surprise so I can only imagine how Thomas and Kelly feel right about now. I can also imagine that it is highly likely we will see BOTH of these boys on the practice field...SOONER than LATER.

I don't often say good things about Vinnie/Danny, but this time I applaud how aggressive they are and I have to complement them and agree with them: "It's about sending a message"!" :helmet:

Why so serious? :hysterical:

For the record, I still love him for his play with two broken thumbs during what ammounts to the "glory days" for us younger fans back in 2005. He is diminished but we can't get rid of him so we might as well find a use.

That's the most depressing thing I've heard this week, by far. The glory days, man you guys are some seriously underprivileged chillins.

We need to get you all a Lombardi Trophy quick, before the more of us start refering to the "glory days" as the time when we got our cracks kicked by the Seahawks in the playoffs.

Their is nothing like sending the message of "We will replace you with camp fodder, and people we sign to the NFL equivalent of the 10 day contract"

I mean really we sent the message when we went after Cutler and had a Sanchez romance. We sent the message when we didn't draft 1 OL in the draft.

Sending a message doesn't mean anything if your doing it with empty threats, to your established and drafted players. All we are doing is trying to fill a void with a bunch of guys who couldn't get drafted.

Perhaps GoSkins you are too young to have a work history, but whenever the boss brings in someone for a job interview, regardless of how talented YOU are, there is always a thought in the back of your mind that "I wonder whats going on here". "I wonder if I did something wrong".

Besides, camp fodder does not describe out latest aquisition...a receiver who just 2 years ago caught 55 balls.

They're sending a message to our o-line by signing undrafted rookies and reclamation projects? Most pro-athletes are far too arrogant to be unnerved by that message.

Well, apparently it worked for Khary Cambpell. He decided he's not resigning with the team because we drafted a couple late round LBrs. So, maybe it worked, but not in the way they wanted it to.

To me, I don't know if this is as much sending a message (although it could be taken that way) as it is a sign that the FO is really hoping to hit the jackpot and find a starter among the list of UDFA and hand-me-downs we've been signing.

Perhaps GoSkins you are too young to have a work history, but whenever the boss brings in someone for a job interview, regardless of how talented YOU are, there is always a thought in the back of your mind that "I wonder whats going on here". "I wonder if I did something wrong".

Besides, camp fodder does not describe out latest aquisition...a receiver who just 2 years ago caught 55 balls.

Perhaps we shouldn't make assumptions. I have managed a retail store with 10 employees and currently I am the CFO for a small business in Annapolis, my work history has nothing to do with how I handle my employees.

Instead of just bringing someone in I usually talk to them and let them no my expectations of them, then I give them a chance. You don't just bring people in to scare your employees, fear does not breed success. Understanding ones role in the grand scheme, be it pro sports or business does. If they can not love up to what is expected of them then you move forward with the idea of replacing them.

I was more referencing the offensive line acquisitions opposed to the receiver anyway.

Did you know that NFL teams never bring in a lot of players for training camp? I just learned that.

Leading with fear is never a winning plan.

I agree with sending messages, but, the problem is you gotta also have a history of rewarding your own players and not alienating people a la the Campbell situation. If they wanted to send a message then the Sanchez thing was pointless because the message was signed, sealed, and delivered when they tried to acquire Cutler.

Another classic movie line! Would you rather be feared or loved? When running a football team i will go with feared. I dont think anyone loves Tom C. in NY!!

Archived