Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Insider- Marcus Mason Is Back With The Skins

mnb123

The former Skins RB and Georgetown Prep product is back with the Redskins, according to a league source, after being claimed on waivers. Mason spent the past two training camps with Washington and was one of the final cuts in 2008. He was signed to Baltimore's practice squad and then later to the Jets' active roster, but was placed on waivers Monday after New York selected a running back in the third round.

The San Diego Chargers, who like Washington have a deep backfield, also claimed Mason, but the Redskins were awarded him based on them having first crack at him based on the reverse order of finish in 2008. Mason will be with the Redskins for the start of mini camp Friday. He has become popular among fans and last season some were expecting him to make the team after some strong performances in exhibition games, though his struggles on special teams held him back.

The Redskins bring back runners Clinton Portis, Ladell Betts and Rock Cartwright from last season.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/marcus-mason-is-back-with-the.html

Damnit.

I really think he's a waste. He'll tear it up against third stringers and get cut again.

We have 9 backs on the roster currently.

Oh well. I'll hope from the best from him. Hopefully he learns all of his assignments and gets a chance to run versus the first team defenses of the other teams in preseason so we can see what we really have.

How is it unfair if he willingly signed with us?

My understanding of waivers is that he didn't sign with us. The Jets gave up his contract, and the other teams can claim that contract. We were higher on the list than the Chargers, so we got him. That doesn't mean he doesn't want to be here. But I don't think he "signed" with us either.

End of Rock the only reason we kept rock last time was he could do 2 roles, now we've added guys who can actually return the ball so we don't need Rock anymore, mason was a way better RB anyways! Now all we need is for Mitchell to beat out Trash and we are set!

How is it unfair if he willingly signed with us?

He was signed off waivers, you must first go through waivers before becoming a free agent. I dont know how long that period last, but during that time, anyone can claim you. At the end of the period, depending on last year's record, you then go to that team...

I don't think Mason is the end of Rock.

I think Aldridge or Dorsey could be, due to their explosiveness. But people have doubted Rock every season and he always comes out on top.

So I refuse to count Rock out, but I'd say Aldridge/Dorsey are the bigger threat.

He was signed off waivers, you must first go through waivers before becoming a free agent. I dont know how long that period last, but during that time, anyone can claim you. At the end of the period, depending on last year's record, you then go to that team...

I see. I thought he was just free to be signed by anyone. Although I guess if I had read the first sentence I could've figured that out. :doh:

The redskins will not have the luxury of keeping three RBs. Rock has such a tight hold on the kick return and special team captian that it will be tough to beat him. Rock even though he's not a great RB will work really hard to stay on the team. Unless I'm wrong its another season with Rock, Betts and Portis.

Based on what I recall reading Mason's main issue of not making the roster in the past --was that they are looking for back up players to be good special team players and apparently he wasn't, also I recall reading he had a hard time picking up the blocking schemes.

Am assuming if he takes care of that, he might have a shot at a roster spot.

Archived