Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Lets Trade Jason Campbell Anyways Thread

haithman

I guess I just don't understand what the strongly anti-Campbell folksfolks thought of the first 8 games.

I thought that showed with a mediocre cast performing well enough, that Campbell could get it done.

I guess the strongly anti-Campbell folks view that as a mediocre cast performing at amazing levels that are unlikely to ever be duplicated again, so Campbell's play will never be that strong again.

We averaged a tiny bit over 20ppg those games with one of the best running games in the league. His supporting cast wasn't the issue.....

He was awful between the opponent's 20-49 yard line for the season. That's where our drives died and he didn't do a damn thing to help.

I guess I just don't understand what the strongly anti-Campbell folksfolks thought of the first 8 games.

I thought that showed with a mediocre cast performing well enough, that Campbell could get it done.

I guess the strongly anti-Campbell folks view that as a mediocre cast performing at amazing levels that are unlikely to ever be duplicated again, so Campbell's play will never be that strong again.

the first 8 games he played ok. OK. not GREAT. he wasnt scoring a ton of points, he was playing good ball control offense, and portis was destroying teams. not to mention our defense was playing very well against some extremely high powered offenses.

i dont want ball control. that doesnt win big games. it only wins big games if your defense is the ravens or the steelers. call me when ours is.

and a mediocre supporting cast? ugh. we have a top flight TE, top flight RB, very good fullback, a great deep threat receiver, ARE isnt awful but hes good enough to catch 600 yards a season, and a defense that doesnt give up yards. if thats mediocre, id like to see what really really good is, because the only mediocre guy i see is campbell.

and wouldnt you consider starting pretty well and ending very bad a direction? thats called "downhill". if he had started poorly, and ended well, i wouldnt be singing this song.

I mean seeing Todd Yoder who's specialty is blocking, whiff block on plays isn't all Jason. When the O-line can't get enough push on short yardage situations, thats not all on Jason.

A lot of it is when he is calling the blocking assignments, poorly I might add.

and a mediocre supporting cast? ugh. we have a top flight TE, top flight RB, very good fullback, a great deep threat receiver, ARE isnt awful but hes good enough to catch 600 yards a season, and a defense that doesnt give up yards. if thats mediocre, id like to see what really really good is, because the only mediocre guy i see is campbell.

So you think Jon Jansen's play last year was not horrible, but actually better than mediocre? Seriously?

What about Rabach and Thomas's play? You thought those guys played better than mediocre?

A really good cast is what Cutler had in Denver. 2nd in the league in YPC with a bunch of cast-off RBs and allowing only 11 sacks? True, part of those great stats were probably inflated by playing half of their games against bottom 1/4 defenses, and never playing a defense ranked in the top 1/4, but they were better than the Skins had.

the first 8 games he played ok. OK. not GREAT. he wasnt scoring a ton of points, he was playing good ball control offense, and portis was destroying teams. not to mention our defense was playing very well against some extremely high powered offenses.

i dont want ball control. that doesnt win big games. it only wins big games if your defense is the ravens or the steelers. call me when ours is.

and wouldnt you consider starting pretty well and ending very bad a direction? thats called "downhill". if he had started poorly, and ended well, i wouldnt be singing this song.

Dude, I'm loving your posts the last couple days. I don't see how even the biggest Campbell apologist could ignore facts like these.

I'm of the opposing school of thought with regards to JC. The skins are stuck with JC. They have made a commitment to him and that's a GOOD thing. Now is the time to see if he stinks I mean sinks or swims.

He'll be in the same offense under Zorn and should have a better handle on things. His WR's are a year old and hopefully mature. The offensive has been plugged with some stopgaps measures in Dockery and we have a little depth with Kendal, Jasen, Heyer, and if Reinhart can ever sniff the field you can add his name to the mix.

Jason Campbell should be given most of the year to learn the offense. If, after all of that it becomes apparent that he can't get it done - or the team has lost way too many games - then you bring in Colt and see what you have.

Like it or not we're also stuck with Jason. So lets get behind him (even if you think he's going to blow, which I do) and lets support him.

as far as supporting casts go, lets be real

portis: is elite when healthy and the o-line is performing (see first 8 games). he is sub-par if he is either banged up or o-line sucks (see second half of season)

moss: again, great deep threat receiver when healthy and not double covered (see saints/1st cowboys game). he is sub-par and a at best #2 reciever when hurt and double covered.

ARE: at best a #3 reciever and is piss poor in creating seperation even when healthy and single covered. not to mention he can't put us in any kind of decent field position with his punt returns.

rookie recievers: i think they speak for themselves with the performances they turned in last year.

campbell is far from the only mediocre player on the field

I like that we tried to trade him and failed. I have been an advocate of giving him more chances and defending him against stupid ideas like starting a career backup or a sixth round reach over him. Last year unfortunately he wasn't conclusive. Yes he improved, no it wasn't as much as I'd like. He's on the clock, he has to really, decisively improve. He is clearly the best we have on our roster and yes, I think we start him this year. But it is his promise without sealing the deal performance that has Snyder and any rational management considering options. And that is what he needs to focus on. If he can look at his performance and think we would never consider trading him or it is a slight on him and he is going to stew and fail for that reason, all I can say to him is, "goodbye." No insult to Jason in this, he has not said that. My point is to anyone fretting over, oh, we insulted our mediocre performing quarterback, what are we going to do...

as far as supporting casts go, lets be real

portis: is elite when healthy and the o-line is performing (see first 8 games). he is sub-par if he is either banged up or o-line sucks (see second half of season) because you have pretty much the highest total carries in the NFL you will get banged up. Not to mention teams started stacking the box the second half of the season. Hard to run when everyone knows you are getting the ball.

moss: again, great deep threat receiver when healthy and not double covered (see saints/1st cowboys game). he is sub-par and a at best #2 reciever when hurt and double covered. Its hard to play well when your hurt. Thats not just for Moss or Portis. We all know what Moss can do when you get him the ball down field instead of bubble screens all day long.

ARE: at best a #3 reciever and is piss poor in creating seperation even when healthy and single covered. not to mention he can't put us in any kind of decent field position with his punt returns. Put someone else in to return punts. It amazes me that they keep him in there to receive punts when he didnt do jack all season. El had some pretty clutch catches if I remember. Doesn't help that JC thinks Moss is the only target either. We saw that he always looked Moss' way. Not always El's fault either

rookie recievers: i think they speak for themselves with the performances they turned in last year. Hopefully they step up this year. They were rookies last season and should play a bigger role this year. If not, they are on a tight leash to be let go or ride the bench more.

campbell is far from the only mediocre player on the field

Yes we have other players that need work or replacements but Campbell needs to step up. No more excuses for him. Its succeed or go else where.

I'll root for him because he is a skin and going to be our quarterback. Like I said before I don't expect much from him but we'll see. I'm just not happy about all the chances he gets.

Dude, I'm loving your posts the last couple days. I don't see how even the biggest Campbell apologist could ignore facts like these.

most of them ignore facts, its the only way you could actually believe campbell is gonna do well this season.

its much easier to pretend everything is fine and be a fanboy, rather than look at the history of our offense and realize its not gonna be pretty this season with campbell at the helm.

im hoping that CB5 is back there but i doubt thats happening.

my point about portis was the offensive line needs to be upgraded. this will benefit campbell and portis both.

my point about moss was that we need thomas/kelley to step up and take the heat off santana and make randle el #3/4 like he should be

i think campbell deserves another chance with improvements to the line and with receivers that know how to run their routes and get seperation.

other than that, i think you made a fair assesment

So you think Jon Jansen's play last year was not horrible, but actually better than mediocre? Seriously?

What about Rabach and Thomas's play? You thought those guys played better than mediocre?

A really good cast is what Cutler had in Denver. 2nd in the league in YPC with a bunch of cast-off RBs and allowing only 11 sacks? True, part of those great stats were probably inflated by playing half of their games against bottom 1/4 defenses, and never playing a defense ranked in the top 1/4, but they were better than the Skins had.

rabach was ok. thomas played fine, as did samuels. jansen and heyer are the issue. but are you seriously claiming that if we upgrade our RT all the sudden campbell is gonna do well? this is whats so silly. RTs dont make or break QBs, sure they can help, but campbell needs a lot more than that. a young stud RT isnt the answer to why campbell is poor.

and i agree, cutler had good WR. marshall is good, and royal proved he was good. however, campbell has moss and cooley, and should be able to get them the ball in the endzone. he didnt throw 1 TD pass to cooley this season. unacceptable.

most of them ignore facts, its the only way you could actually believe campbell is gonna do well this season.

its much easier to pretend everything is fine and be a fanboy, rather than look at the history of our offense and realize its not gonna be pretty this season with campbell at the helm.

First, yess, I think barring a trade or injury JC starts Game one, but I'm under no allusion that he will light it up. I honestly don't know. I've also said I'd have my hand on the hook by the end of game 5 if he doesn't do well. Of course that number may increase or decrease depending on our schedule. I'm not sure who we play yet.

I in no way think things are fine, and I wouldn't be upset if JC got traded and we let Colt have a chance, or drafted say Sanchez, but honestly, I don't know that either of those two are better options than JC right now, and we do have the rights to him for this year, so this is it, put up or shut up time basically.

The missing link on this team is a trigger man that can make mediocre talent look better ala Brad Johnson throwing to Michael Westbrook and Albert Connell.

Cutler would have miss that guy who made El, Thomas, Thrash, Moss, Cooley even better because he can get them the ball. Campbell to me looks as though he doesn't trust his ability to put the ball where ever he wants it whereas Cutler see's the slightest opening and goes for it. I wish we had that but we're stuck with 250 yards a game and 1-2 touchdowns and that's on a GOOD day.

I understand its not all Jason, but he has a fair share of the blame. How many times during the season in the game threads did we say campbell held on to the ball way to long when he had the chance to hit a WR. The O-line can't block forever. I understand the O-line has issues as well. But portis had an amazing first half of the season when the line was block really really well. No issues right? Then defenses picked up on our offense and stacked the box and no matter how much blocking you have up front, you ain't gonna get far. Campbell didn't scare anyone and they knew JC would have to beat them. Which he didn't. One of the main reasons we went 2-6 at the end. So how do we end up from 6-2 to 2-6? Defenses picked up on our predictable offense. Shut down the run and they could almost guarantee a W.

Slim to show where that stack in the box theory isn't flyinh. Like I said in the 2nd half of the season the O-line could pass or run block. The viking have a good O-line but not a good QB. Teams stack the box on the Vikings all the time but the Vikings still run it. And before you say its Adrian Peterson there were games when he was hurt the previous year and Chester Taylor still produced. It was the Vikings line. Teams stack the box on the Titans. Teams stack the box on the Ravens. Stacking the box has its advantages and disadvantages if you didn't know. If the safety guessed wrong and the RB his the next level he's gone. Ask the Cowbums when they played the Ravens. Man the Skins O-line was walready old and the injuries down the stretch compounded it. Who said block forever. You're telling me you saw a O-line forming pockets and Jason just held it? I saw jail breaks down the stretch. Like I said, Zorn was asked why the Skins throw short on 3rd and 7. He said himself that they throw it 5 yards hoping the player can get the other 2. His reson for doing that because he(Zorn) said the Oline wasn't sustaing blocks.

I would really love for CB to get some reps this preseason with the starting unit....just to see what happens. I mean, he had a very solid pre-season last year, admittedly playing against scrubs, but he was also playing with scrubs as well. Its been a full year. He's had time to learn zorn's offense and memorize some plays.

I'm really looking forward to see what he can do. I hope, at the very least, he gets substantial time vs. opponents 2nd teamers, and let collins go in against the scrubs. I hope CB is the #2 by the end of camp.

rabach was ok. thomas played fine, as did samuels. jansen and heyer are the issue. but are you seriously claiming that if we upgrade our RT all the sudden campbell is gonna do well? this is whats so silly. RTs dont make or break QBs, sure they can help, but campbell needs a lot more than that. a young stud RT isnt the answer to why campbell is poor.

and i agree, cutler had good WR. marshall is good, and royal proved he was good. however, campbell has moss and cooley, and should be able to get them the ball in the endzone. he didnt throw 1 TD pass to cooley this season. unacceptable.

Which makes me wonder....given how slow campbell's release is, and considering how narrow the windows are for passing TD's in the red zone, do you think that's the issue here? By the time campbell winds up, double or triple pumps the ball, goes through his progressions twice, smokes a cig and has a ham sammich, the window of oppotunity has closed. In the red zone, you HAVE to have a quick release to get the ball out ASAP and into the receivers hands before the window closes. This is campbell's biggest problem. If he had a quick release, I think he'd be an infinitely better QB.

Moss and Cooley were being double teamed because every team in the league knew they were the skins only legit receiving threats. They could barely get open.

The missing link on this team is a trigger man that can make mediocre talent look better ala Brad Johnson throwing to Michael Westbrook and Albert Connell.

So you're saying Brad Johnson could've played behind the O-line in the 2nd 8 games? Man oh man:doh:

Slim to show where that stack in the box theory isn't flyinh. Like I said in the 2nd half of the season the O-line could pass or run block. The viking have a good O-line but not a good QB. Teams stack the box on the Vikings all the time but the Vikings still run it. And before you say its Adrian Peterson there were games when he was hurt the previous year and Chester Taylor still produced. It was the Vikings line. Teams stack the box on the Titans. Teams stack the box on the Ravens. Stacking the box has its advantages and disadvantages if you didn't know. If the safety guessed wrong and the RB his the next level he's gone. Ask the Cowbums when they played the Ravens. Man the Skins O-line was walready old and the injuries down the stretch compounded it. Who said block forever. You're telling me you saw a O-line forming pockets and Jason just held it? I saw jail breaks down the stretch. Like I said, Zorn was asked why the Skins throw short on 3rd and 7. He said himself that they throw it 5 yards hoping the player can get the other 2. His reson for doing that because he(Zorn) said the Oline wasn't sustaing blocks.

Ok, believe whatever you want. Go back in the game threads and read what everyone wrote. He holds on to the ball too long. Yes the oline has its own problems but I guarantee that if we didn't have a mediocre QB, we would of had a better record then 8-8. Teams knew campbell couldn't beat them. No one is afraid of him.

So you're saying Brad Johnson could've played behind the O-line in the 2nd 8 games? Man oh man:doh:

Do you know who was ON that O-line in 99? Tre Johnson was a guard, sure he was very good but Keith Sims was on one leg and 500 year old Andy Heck was out there, I believe. The only elite level talent on the line was Jansen as a rookie. PERHAPS Tre Johnson for a very short stretch of time.

You Idolaters are the ones who insist that wideouts aren't good enough and yet...XYZ got Brad Johnson 4,000 yards. (centers out of the backfield, that's good but who else?)

Meanwhile, you put a 6-2, 215 lb stud athlete at wideout and the best in-flight ball adjustment receiver in the league and you can't complete several deep passes a game and can't help but overthrow even the 6-2 guy leaping up to catch your errant BS?

Archived