Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Redskins amongst leading candidates to land Cutler/Shanahan

Ellis Dee

:snore:

If the Skins have the same kinda O-line play in the 2nd eight games then you're just dreamin cousin. :snore:

People need to wakeup.

We averaged only 20 ppg in the first 8 games - that would have been good for 24th (if I recall) in the NFL on the season. We did this with the best running game in the first half of the year.

13 Touchdowns 6 interceptions 38 sacks

These are the numbers Jason Campbell put up in an entire 16 games season, these numbers are pathetic.

The one thing Campbell has proven to me is he is consistently below average. Just because one every 5 games he has a solid game doesnt mean that is his potential and he is just being held back. Some of the crappiest qbs in history still had big games, gamers bigger then campbell has ever had. Jamarcus russell this year passed for 13tds and 8ints, a lower completion % but higher yards per pass. Russell plays for a terrible team and organization yet had some comparable numbers to jason who is at least surrounded by good if not pretty good talent.

6 interceptions isn't below average and 38 sacks arent all his fault.

J. Russell at the very least had stability in his college career before going to Al Davis land, something Campbell never had the benefit of, yet he still put up great college numbers and comperable numbers to Russell.

Also, J. Russell may very well turn out to be a great QB if/when he goes to another team. Judging someone on the Raiders is always hard.

Im not saying we should stick with Campbell because the thought of Cutler is an enticing one. Im really on the fence about this. Campbell has steadily improved since he has played here. It would be exciting to see him improve again this year. If we were to furnish him with a bigger, possession receiver that owned their own space and went up and across the middle for balls, I think Campbell would have all the tools he needs to take his game to the next level.

With that said, Cutler is already at that next level and could probably make the WR's he has look even better. The diabetes thing doesn't scare me much because he is young, but it is a concern to have none the less.

I think Cutler would help this team a great deal. I think we would have to give up a lot to get him. I also think Campbell will improve enough this season to get us to the playoffs as well. The question I have is whether or not Cutler will be worth what we will have to give up to get him. What will people say if we trade for Cutler and Campbell takes the Broncos to the playoffs? What if we don't make the playoffs under Cutlet?

And as far as all the so called pro bowlers the Skins had, rightly or wrongly Skins fans stuffed the ballot boxes like no other fans in NFL history. The NFL might do things differently next year because of how Skins fans stuffed the boxes.

and Fletcher still didn't make the Pro-Bowl.:doh:

My feelings exactly. It's not that I don't think Cutler is a decent QB, its that I don't like how he has conducted himself. JC has not once ever complained about the 15 different offenses he has had to learn over the years. He has never passed the buck and not taken responsibility for the teams shortcomings. He has never called out his teammates or coaches. All I've seen him do is work as hard as anyone on this team to make himself better and people want to give up on a guy like this for a malcontent QB?

He's done all these honorable things or should I say expected yet on the field he has still been below average.

Skins Fan3 is right when saying the rookies played to campbell's level or higher. And the simple fact both ryan and flacco threw more tds then campbell fits perfectly with the consistency in him throwing for less yards then he needs for a first down. I don;t want to hear the BS about zorn giving him plays like those because he didnt think the oline could hold up, there was plenty of times when campbell had plenty of time and still dumped off or jumped the gun.

I thought the offense managed that game very well!

Controlled the clock and field position.

Seems like thats what the Ravens and Steelers do. Hmmm, weren't they in the AFC Championship game?

And let's not forget that they also climbed out of a 14-0 hole.

He's done all these honorable things or should I say expected yet on the field he has still been below average.

Skins Fan3 is right when saying the rookies played to campbell's level or higher. And the simple fact both ryan and flacco threw more tds then campbell fits perfectly with the consistency in him throwing for less yards then he needs for a first down. I don;t want to hear the BS about zorn giving him plays like those because he didnt think the oline could hold up, there was plenty of times when campbell had plenty of time and still dumped off or jumped the gun.

I figured the rookies would make the best comparison since they were coming into a whole new system with a new coach as well. Both Flacco and Ryan did just as much if not more than Campbell last year. Now Campbell has seen NFL game action for 2 1/2 seasons and he still hasn't had a game that makes you go wow, this guy is gonna be great.

In 36 starts, he has thrown for over 300 yards 4 times, 4 TIMES!! That's not very good at all. Matt Ryan has 2 300+ yard games in 16 starts and Jay Cutler did it 8 times last year including a 400 yard game. Campbell had 2 games last year where he threw for multiple TDs and he has 8 career games where he has thrown for multiple TDs in a game. Matt Ryan had 5 multiple TD games last year, 3 less than Campbell has in 20 more starts!! Cutler had 8 multi-td games just last year! Even Joe Flacco had 4 multi-td games last year.

What does that tell you about Campbell, he is a game manager! That's all he is, he's not going to be someone to win a game for you by throwing for 300+ yards and 3TDs. Cutler can do that, look at the game last year against the Chargers where he pretty much was the only reason that game was close. He threw for 350yds 4TDs and 1INT, have you ever seen Campbell do something like that? We need a play maker at QB, not a game manager.

People need to wakeup.

We averaged only 20 ppg in the first 8 games - that would have been good for 24th (if I recall) in the NFL on the season. We did this with the best running game in the first half of the year.

You pwned that dude on PFT. Wade Phillips. nuff said.

I'm torn on getting Cutler or not. I think he could be a great QB in this league. I still think Campbell could be a solid QB, but I don't think he'll ever be great. I know that last year was Campbell's first year in a new offense, but it was Matt Ryan's and Joe Flacco's too, and both equal to if not better than Campbell last year. Matt Ryan had a passer rating of 87.7, Campbell's was 84.3, and Flacco's was 80.3. Cutler's by the way was 86.0

Ryan threw for 3440yds 16TDs 11INTs, Campbell 3245 13TDs 6INTs, Flacco 2971 14 12, and Cutler 4526 25 18. Yes Campbell had the least amount of INTs, but he also threw for less TDs than 2 rookies. Flacco was on a team that was run heavy and still had comparable numbers to Campbell.

I just think Campbell will be a middle of the road QB for his career. He won't make alot of mistakes to lose a game for you, but he won't make alot of plays to win a game for you either. I think Cutler could lose a game with some of his INTs, but he could also win a game with his arm. I'd rather have a QB that I believe could win a game on his own, then have one that is playing not to make mistakes. I like QBs that take chances down the field and Campbell just doesn't do that enough.

I'll take it a step further.

Campbell threw 506 passes last year for 13 touchdowns. Thats LOL material.

Campbell - 506 attempts 6.4yard average 13 tds 6 ints

Flacco - 428 attempts 6.9 average 14 tds 12 ints

Ryan - 434 attempts 7.9 average 16 tds 11 ints.

Campbell had more pass attempts almost 2 games more then the rookies yet had a lower average and less touchdowns... THEN ROOOOOOKIES.

In fact matt ryan threw for 200 more yards then campbell despite throwing 72 passes fewer and a 1% lower completion %. IMO given how often jason throws underneath its hard to even judge how good he is because we barely get to see him throw anywhere else.

I spent all past season defending campbell and even named my fantasy football team after him, well I'm done wasting my time. I'm not saying cutler is the answer but im sure as hell am convinced Campbell isnt. My friend a diehard steelers fan watches all the skin games and I watch all the steelers games. He made so many comments week in and week out laughing and saying wtf when it came to campbell always passing short. He thought it was rediculous and that with our defense if we started anyone even todd collins we would be a better team. He talked all season about how bad, very bad the steelers online was and that if Ben had our oline they would have went 16-0 given as how we think our oline is bad the steelers must have been terrible.

I watch the games with my father and every 10 mins my dad would start yelling saying WHAT ARE YOU DOING, what was the point of that referring to campbell passing short, week in and week out. He got mad quite a few times this past season, far worse then I had ever seen him even when gibbs was doing his terrible playcalling. Almost every negative thing he said was about campbell. A few times playcalling but more about campbell. From others around me who arent biased or fans of the skins they all seem to come to the same conclusion that campbell sucks. We'll I can't defend the BS anymore, he does suck. NO MORE EXCUSES too many god too many excuses I have made that I reasoned with myself as right.

That said I want campbell to start the year. To prove the believers wrong, and to get todd or colt in their asap just to end the campbell era. His quarterback play makes me need some campbell's soup when the game is over. Effing terrible and I'm tired of it.

Whether we land Cutler or not, seems to me this flirtation proves that V&D now realize that Jason Campbell is NOT the QB of the future for this team - unless that future involves endless 6-10 seasons.

Maybe Brennan actually gets a shot at the job this preseason? Anyway, the failure to extend JC's deal and now all this pretty credible stuff about the Skins going after Cutler really indicates that the people up top have come to their senses and know that Campbell is not our QB for the long term - or at least they are hedging their bets now.

If this is true CHAMPIONSHIP and I do mean that. Shanahan is a great coach, Cutler is a great QB. Together in Washingon with the current players and adding one or two more pieces to the puzzel would be absolutely amazing. My fingers are crossed this goes down, it would mark the absolute best offseason any team has ever had in FA peroid. Landing the very best Offensive and Defensive players in the same year and a Superbowl winning coach, holy freaking crap

Campbell based on 506 passes attempted and 13 touchdowns threw a TD every 39 passes. Terrible.

If campbell averaged 30 passes a game for a season he would have had 480 pass attempts which means he averaged over 30 passes which I wouldnt call managing. If he would have averaged 1.5 Tds for every 30 passes a game he would have finished the season with 24 touchdowns.

Instead campbell averaged less then a td a game, a hair above .8 tds a game. Yah .813

My guess is Collins or even bennan could have done better then this with less attempts.

Its also worth noting his consistency as he has 35 touchdowns in 36 games for his career.

Cutler on the other hand has 54 touchdowns in 37 games for a 1.46 td per game average which IMO is about what you should be looking for. Of course you could name every single variable that comes into play but I wont since this isnt a single season thing, both players have showed it consistently over the past few years.

you guys are kidding yourselves if you think a different QB is going to fix the problems we have at Oline.

EXACTLY how do you people not see this?!?...look at the struggles even PEYTON MANNING has with a 'bad o-line'....well that 'bad oline' is BETTER than ours by FAR!

Archived