Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Redskins amongst leading candidates to land Cutler/Shanahan

Ellis Dee

Those are inflated stats, man, the broncos have been a heavy passing team since Terrell Davis left. They throw the ball 40+ times a game compared to the skins...there is more value in plugging a big hole at #13 in the draft than getting a QB who IS better...but not lightyears better, and then leaving all of those holes open....Cutler is not any better at breaking tackles from unblocked DEs/OLBs.

My question is, why does everyone think that just because we have a high draft pick that that pick will be successful? Cerrato has shown that his top-round drafting skills aren't very good. I have no faith in his drafting in rounds 1-3, but beyond that, where it's normally a crapshoot for most teams, we've found some gems and that shouldn't be discounted.

At least by trading away to get Cutler (or any other quality, proven player), we greatly increase our chances of success in getting a true starter at the price of a pick (and perhaps more).

Don't get me wrong, I'm all about building a franchise through the draft like most teams do, but I don't think our FO's strongpoint is the draft. In that sense, sometimes we may be better off trading picks for proven players. They've been pretty liberal in giving away picks. Why? Recent history of this franchise shows that they are not comfortable with drafting. That's why.

Those are inflated stats, man, the broncos have been a heavy passing team since Terrell Davis left. They throw the ball 40+ times a game compared to the skins...there is more value in plugging a big hole at #13 in the draft than getting a QB who IS better...but not lightyears better, and then leaving all of those holes open....Cutler is not any better at breaking tackles from unblocked DEs/OLBs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinzFan007

Cutlers 25 years old and Campbell is 27 years old so what are you talking about??? And how can you say hes not much better than Campbell??

Last 3 years:

Cutler (37 starts) - 9,024 yards, 54 TD, 37 ints

Campbell (36 starts) - 7,242 yards, 35 TD, 23 ints

You know HELI, you have a great point there. Those stats with your considerations don't equate giving up a first rounder and Campbell for Cutler. But sadly Dr. Eveil :evilg: probably won't see it this way. Let alone take in to account that Campbell is mild tempered and a known comodity in the lockerroom.

My question is, why does everyone think that just because we have a high draft pick that that pick will be successful?

I don't get this either. I don't know the stats by any means, but it seems to me that it's a crap shoot. Om did some great research on the success of the 13th pick, and while there have been some great ones including some HOFs, there have also been plenty of busts. I say, go for the sure thing. Get Cutler.

I personally think that us, the Lions, and the Browns have the best leverage to get this done. I don't see what the Bucs have that the Broncos would want, besides draft picks, which the Broncos already said wouldnt get the deal done. The only reason I think you can throw the Lions in the group is that they have the first overall pick. The browns have 2 qbs available, and of course, we have a pretty high first and a somewhat decent qb. And of course, we have Dan Snyder. It's too bad that Cutler's agent is Cook, and not Drew. Otherwise, this would be a done deal.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is just another joke. I hate Cutler's attitude. And arguments about his talent or lack thereof aside, I don't see how any group of real men could look at him and see him as a leader, which is what a QB needs to be. A QB needs the respect of and buy-in from his team, and I don't see how any team with a modicum of self respect could give that to him after the way he's acted.

For the record, I don't lay the blame for all the Denver shenanigans at his feet, though he certainly didn't help matters. The coach and the ownership both managed the situation poorly and Cutler had a right to be upset. That said, however, there is a difference between handling your grievances with dignity like an adult, and acting like a spoiled, over-privileged man-baby. He may as well have stamped his feet and yelled "I don't wanna drink my juice!" I don't want to see a person like that at the helm of my team, no matter how many TDs he throws.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is just another joke. I hate Cutler's attitude. And arguments about his talent or lack thereof aside, I don't see how any group of real men could look at him and see him as a leader, which is what a QB needs to be. A QB needs the respect of and buy-in from his team, and I don't see how any team with a modicum of self respect could give that to him after the way he's acted.

People hate his attitude but they love Portis being a Redskin. I don't see the two attitudes being that much different from both of these players.

For the record, I don't lay the blame for all the Denver shenanigans at his feet, though he certainly didn't help matters.

It's Shanahanigans ;)

First off Cutler had a better Oline then we did? We have had a pretty good oline the past 3 or 4 years up untill the second half of this year. If you forgot our oline was dominant the first half.

Second of all you said "Again for the record I think JC played well this past season all things considered." to me that right there proves to me your judgement is terrible.

The simple fact was he was not good the whole season. When it was 3rd and 7 he threw a 6 yard pass, 3rd and 3 and threw a 1 or 2 yard pass. The man threw short and underneath all season long as well as being one of the most sacked qbs. I dont blame the Oline at all for this. I blame campbell for not processing what is in front him quick enough. They guy wasn't even solid, he may of had the interception streak but thats because he didnt take chances or even throw occasionally tight passes. Campbell threw underneath all day unless a guy more then 7 yards down field was wide open.

I'm not saying that campbell isnt capable of being at least good but he sure as hell wasnt good this past year. In fact there are backups on other teams or even starting qbs that people dont think that much of that I no doubt believe could have taken us to the playoffs for the simple fact they arent afraid to throw the ball.

Campbell had the #4th ranked defense to back him up, multiple probowlers at the skill positions as well as on the line on offense yet we managed what? The 30th ranked scoring offense? Even in the first half of the season campbell had like what 8 tds total? Its rediculous to even think he played well, I just dont see how anyone could honestly have watched the games and made the assumption unless they really have no clue about football.

In response to your statement about Campbell throwing short on lets say its 3rd and 7. Zorn himseld said that the O-line protection wasn't good so thats whats he'd(Zorn) would call. He'd call for a 5 yard route hoping the player can get the other 2. He(Zorn) didn't have confidence in the O-line.

As far as having the 4th ranked defense, this defense didn't make key stops or force TO'ds like the Ravens and Steelers. Those teams were ranked high defensively, made sacks, made stops in key situations and forced TO's.

And as far as all the so called pro bowlers the Skins had, rightly or wrongly Skins fans stuffed the ballot boxes like no other fans in NFL history. The NFL might do things differently next year because of how Skins fans stuffed the boxes.

All I can do is :fingersx:

Indeed, Shanahan should bring stability to the coaching position like Gibbs did. Everyone already thinks if Zorn fail this year we will let him go... why not just make him an overpaid QB coach again.

Hopefully Shanahan will then revamp the OLine.

Portis reunites with Shannahan??? with Backup Alridge =P

PFT is reporting that possible courtship of Shanahan has already begun. Can you imagine if this all went through? Talk about the biggest coup d etat in history. Add that to the Haynesworth deal, and the Skins are obvious offseason Superbowl champs, but wouldn't that also make them strong contenders? It'd be CRAZY

I wouldn't want Cutler because it really seems like he has a bad attitude. I agree with a lot of the people that say he reminds them of Jeff George. He has acted like a whiny little brat about this whole situation instead of being a good team player. If he wanted to be traded, he should have gone behind closed doors, asked for the trade, and still showed up to work out with his teammates and returned phone calls. In other words, be a team leader. Even if Josh McDaniels is not a standup guy (and I don't care if he is), Cutler should be. He should show that he is mature (which he is not) enough to be the leader of a franchise. We wouldn't see Manning or Brady or even Campbell act this way!

Plus, I am a Campbell supporter. I think he should get another year to prove himself. You can't keep switching systems on a guy and expect him to be a pro-bowler. Peyton Manning couldn't survive the past few years with the Skins. I won't go any further about him, because this issue has been beaten to death in many threads, and ES has already made up its mind that he sucks. So, I know that I am in the minority.

I believe Zorn deserves more than 1-2 years also. I hear everyone yelling about consistency, yet everyone always wants to change coaches and players. I think coaches deserve at least 4-5 years to turn a team around. If they don't show significant sign of progress in that time, then yeah, fire them. I believe in Zorn. From what I see, he is smart enough, and he works hard enough. I believe he deserves those years, even though he is only signed for three.

As for Shanny, well wouldn't want him anyways. He would want to control personnel, which he is not very good at. He hasn't won anything without Elway. His defense has been notoriously horrible over the last few years. He picks up everybody else's cast offs. I mean, the guy Basically picked up the Browns defensive line one offseason, knowing that the Browns had a horrible defensive line. How smart is that? Plus Clarett and on and on and on.

I could go on about both of these guys, but no need to. I don't want them!!

13 Touchdowns 6 interceptions 38 sacks

These are the numbers Jason Campbell put up in an entire 16 games season, these numbers are pathetic.

The one thing Campbell has proven to me is he is consistently below average. Just because one every 5 games he has a solid game doesnt mean that is his potential and he is just being held back. Some of the crappiest qbs in history still had big games, gamers bigger then campbell has ever had. Jamarcus russell this year passed for 13tds and 8ints, a lower completion % but higher yards per pass. Russell plays for a terrible team and organization yet had some comparable numbers to jason who is at least surrounded by good if not pretty good talent.

Instead of posting PFT quoting the Denver Post, why not just quote the Denver Post directly?

As you can tell from the posts in this thread, PFT is a dubious source with a lot of speculation and rumors posing as news.

I'd rather read the Denver Post's speculation straight from the source than PFT quoting the Denver Post's speculation as if it was news.

Or, in other words:

PFT? :nono:

Which is why PFT included a link to the Denver Post in their article....

Or, in other words:

Click one of the leading candidates to land Cutler

:D

Redskin fans, take a moment and close your eyes with me.

It's February. You feel the warmth of the sun and you find yourself in a warmer climate. You can smell the hot dogs and hamburgers of surrounding tailgates. You can taste the beer on your lips. You open your eyes. The sun is out and palm trees surround you. You are wearing a #6 jersey. Cutler? You look around and realize you are at Dolphin stadium. The Skins are playing for the big one. You are there, crazed out of your mind. You then realize draft picks don't matter and maybe Vinny and Snyder aren't so stupid. It's all worth it.

See you all down here in February my friends.

*Written a little as a joke, but also believing in the truth this can become.

The defense and Jason Taylor did.

The offense sucked.

I thought the offense managed that game very well!

Controlled the clock and field position.

Seems like thats what the Ravens and Steelers do. Hmmm, weren't they in the AFC Championship game?

:snore:

Redskin fans, take a moment and close your eyes with me.

It's February. You feel the warmth of the sun and you find yourself in a warmer climate. You can smell the hot dogs and hamburgers of surrounding tailgates. You can taste the beer on your lips. You open your eyes. The sun is out and palm trees surround you. You are wearing a #6 jersey. Cutler? You look around and realize you are at Dolphin stadium. The Skins are playing for the big one. You are there, crazed out of your mind. You then realize draft picks don't matter and maybe Vinny and Snyder aren't so stupid. It's all worth it.

See you all down here in February my friends.

*Written a little as a joke, but also believing in the truth this can become.

If the Skins have the same kinda O-line play in the 2nd eight games then you're just dreamin cousin. :snore:

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is just another joke. I hate Cutler's attitude....The coach and the ownership both managed the situation poorly and Cutler had a right to be upset. That said, however, there is a difference between handling your grievances with dignity like an adult, and acting like a spoiled, over-privileged man-baby. He may as well have stamped his feet and yelled "I don't wanna drink my juice!" I don't want to see a person like that at the helm of my team, no matter how many TDs he throws.

My feelings exactly. It's not that I don't think Cutler is a decent QB, its that I don't like how he has conducted himself. JC has not once ever complained about the 15 different offenses he has had to learn over the years. He has never passed the buck and not taken responsibility for the teams shortcomings. He has never called out his teammates or coaches. All I've seen him do is work as hard as anyone on this team to make himself better and people want to give up on a guy like this for a malcontent QB?

PFT is reporting that possible courtship of Shanahan has already begun. Can you imagine if this all went through? Talk about the biggest coup d etat in history. Add that to the Haynesworth deal, and the Skins are obvious offseason Superbowl champs, but wouldn't that also make them strong contenders? It'd be CRAZY

I can't say I'd be upset with Shanny as the next head coach and I'd even be OK with it happening before the coming season if the FO truly believes it is inevitable anyway (i.e., they don't believe Zorn will succeed and they know they will be looking for a coach after next season anyway).

Also, the combination of our off-season moves, plus Cutler and Shannahan would be fantastic. However, the one thing I think that would guarantee is an AWFUL 2009 season. Again, I'm OK with it because I'm ready for a long-term plan, but there is no way someone could take over any football team in April and have success that coming season.

I thought the offense managed that game very well!

Controlled the clock and field position.

Seems like thats what the Ravens and Steelers do. Hmmm, weren't they in the AFC Championship game?

T.O.P. difference of 33 minutes to 27 minutes isn't a huge factor. It's not like we controlled the entire game on offense. Our offense sucked and our defense won us the game. If we had a QB that could take advantage of our defense limiting teams in points more often, we'd be in the playoffs year in and year out.

Also, Baltimore averaged 24 ppg and Pittsburgh 21.7 ppg. We were at 16.6 ppg - that's an OFFENSIVE failure. Period.

To go along with the QB taking advantage of their defense statement, I'll repeat this:

When Denver's D held opposing teams to 21 or less Jay Cutler was 13-1.

When Campbell had that on D he's been 12-9.

QB FAIL.

I'm torn on getting Cutler or not. I think he could be a great QB in this league. I still think Campbell could be a solid QB, but I don't think he'll ever be great. I know that last year was Campbell's first year in a new offense, but it was Matt Ryan's and Joe Flacco's too, and both equal to if not better than Campbell last year. Matt Ryan had a passer rating of 87.7, Campbell's was 84.3, and Flacco's was 80.3. Cutler's by the way was 86.0

Ryan threw for 3440yds 16TDs 11INTs, Campbell 3245 13TDs 6INTs, Flacco 2971 14 12, and Cutler 4526 25 18. Yes Campbell had the least amount of INTs, but he also threw for less TDs than 2 rookies. Flacco was on a team that was run heavy and still had comparable numbers to Campbell.

I just think Campbell will be a middle of the road QB for his career. He won't make alot of mistakes to lose a game for you, but he won't make alot of plays to win a game for you either. I think Cutler could lose a game with some of his INTs, but he could also win a game with his arm. I'd rather have a QB that I believe could win a game on his own, then have one that is playing not to make mistakes. I like QBs that take chances down the field and Campbell just doesn't do that enough.

Archived