Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Redskins amongst leading candidates to land Cutler/Shanahan

Ellis Dee

Obviously, people aren't getting what I'm saying. I completely agree that Shanahan is better than Zorn, and I think he'd be successful here if we were to land Cutler, but he's good for what, maybe 3-4 seasons, at most? I'd love to have him, but I don't want to repeat this whole process every 3 or 4 years. I'd like some stability at HC for a while, for once.

So keeping an untested coach like Zorn with a HUGE question mark at QB with JC shows more stability than a SB head coach in Shanahan and a young pro bowl QB in Jay Cutler.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't Shanahan/Cutler prove to be a much more stable and successful alternative than Zorn/JC?

You are making claims without any substance to back them up.

How do you know he's good for a "couple more years"? Do you know him? What has he said to imply that? He could still coach for over a decade and not be horribly old.

Zorn lost me after the Cincy game. He SEEMS like the job is too big for him.

Obviously not. This is a message board, and I'm simply posting my opinion. If I had anything beyond opinion and personal feelings as an NFL fan, I might be employed with the NFL in some capacity. I'm just saying that for a coach that's been in the league for as long as Shanahan, and already has 2 Lombardis, do you really think he wants to kick start the whole machine again and essentially start a whole new career? Im GUESSING not. I would think it would be a temporary solution. I would certainly love to be proven wrong. I like Shanahan. A lot. As I said though, my gut says he's only in it for a few years to try and prove that he can get it done without Elway.

This stuff gets worse by the day. If these truly are just "rumors" and I do consider the source, then Snyder and Cerrato need to make sure that Zorn knows where he stands and the head coach of this team. Sure it's a business, but for the Skins to do what this article is suggesting would create such a ****storm of bad publicity that no coach would ever want to work for Snyder again.

As for blowing up this year's draft and jettisoning Campbell for a diabetic, non-professional, soggy-diaper of a QB (whom I admit, may be more talented than JC) is not the smart thing to do given all of the other areas of need for this team IMO. My worry is that if the Skins make a play for Cutler, they will get fleeced and then have the QB they want but the team around him will begin to rot and they will never truly get what they expected out of Cutler anyway.

Obviously not. This is a message board, and I'm simply posting my opinion. If I had anything beyond opinion and personal feelings as an NFL fan, I might be employed with the NFL in some capacity. I'm just saying that for a coach that's been in the league for as long as Shanahan, and already has 2 Lombardis, do you really think he wants to kick start the whole machine again and essentially start a whole new career? Im GUESSING not. I would think it would be a temporary solution. I would certainly love to be proven wrong. I like Shanahan. A lot. As I said though, my gut says he's only in it for a few years to try and prove that he can get it done without Elway.

Saying he was an old fart wasn't an opinion :silly:

I agree, we come here to discuss, which makes it fun (and somewhat addicting). Honestly, I could see Shanahan coming to a team for a bit over a decade before hanging it up for good. Of course a Super Bowl here and there might change that, but I don't see him as a temporary kind of guy.

So keeping an untested coach like Zorn with a HUGE question mark at QB with JC shows more stability than a SB head coach in Shanahan and a young pro bowl QB in Jay Cutler.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't Shanahan/Cutler prove to be a much more stable and successful alternative than Zorn/JC?

You are making claims without any substance to back them up.

Again, I'm not trying to get into a whole thing here with this. As I said, I'd love Cutler in DC, and would be ecstatic if it happened. And again, I agree with everyone, as I've said a few times here, Shanahan OBVIOUSLY is better than Zorn. I just doubt that Shanahan is in it for the long haul. But again, I'm not claiming to have any "proof". As I keep repeating, it's my gut. You can choose to agree with me or not. Obviously you disagree, which is fine. It's a message board. These are opinions.

I no doubt believe Cutler would be an improvement over campbell. He may bit a bit of a baby that some reports say but what we need is the gunslinger mentality. I have NO problem with a qb that throws picks if he can also throw tds. I have more of a problem with a qb that doesnt throw pick but also doesnt throw tds. We have a good to great D, why not utilize it? Getting short fields last year didnt help campbell at all, we still kicked field goals. Cutler likes gunning and putting he ball in tight places, things Campbell would never do. There is talk of cutler not being extremely bright but its obvious he's at least smarter then Campbell.

My issue with all of this is not who would play QB for us its what would we have to give up, and with a deep OL and LB draft (2 positions of dire need) its hard to justify giving up a pick that could net us a potential stud at OL or LB

Saying he was an old fart wasn't an opinion :silly:

I agree, we come here to discuss, which makes it fun (and somewhat addicting). Honestly, I could see Shanahan coming to a team for a bit over a decade before hanging it up for good. Of course a Super Bowl here and there might change that, but I don't see him as a temporary kind of guy.

Well, if that's the case, I'm all for it. In a heartbeat. I, like most of yall I'm sure, am just sick and tired of Wash, Rinse, Repeat. Stability=success.

Jay cutler is not that much better than jc....by the time we recover from trading another starter and a first rounder...so lets see, we'd have 4 major holes instead of 2 b/c we don't have a 1st rounder, he will be almost 30 and the trade will be worthless...

please no!!!

Cutlers 25 years old and Campbell is 27 years old so what are you talking about??? And how can you say hes not much better than Campbell??

Last 3 years:

Cutler (37 starts) - 9,024 yards, 54 TD, 37 ints

Campbell (36 starts) - 7,242 yards, 35 TD, 23 ints

Cutlers 25 years old and Campbell is 27 years old so what are you talking about??? And how can you say hes not much better than Campbell??

Last 3 years:

Those are inflated stats, man, the broncos have been a heavy passing team since Terrell Davis left. They throw the ball 40+ times a game compared to the skins...there is more value in plugging a big hole at #13 in the draft than getting a QB who IS better...but not lightyears better, and then leaving all of those holes open....Cutler is not any better at breaking tackles from unblocked DEs/OLBs.

Those are inflated stats, man, the broncos have been a heavy passing team since Terrell Davis left. They throw the ball 40+ times a game compared to the skins...there is more value in plugging a big hole at #13 in the draft than getting a QB who IS better...but not lightyears better, and then leaving all of those holes open....Cutler is not any better at breaking tackles from unblocked DEs/OLBs.

Cutler is lightyears better. My favorite new stat:

When their defenses hold the opponent to 21 points or less.....

Jay Cutler is 13-1.

Jason Campbell is 12-9.

.....that's a HUGE difference, especially considering our running game > their running game.

Lol. OK, I'll give you that. I certainly agree that the status quo is not the answer.

Same. I realized that (like I said before) after the Cincy game. The team had no heart, no adjusting, and no fight in that one.

How weird would it be if this crazy thing went down?

It would be ****ing awesome!

Cutler is lightyears better. My favorite new stat:

When their defenses hold the opponent to 21 points or less.....

Jay Cutler is 13-1.

Jason Campbell is 12-9.

.....that's a HUGE difference, especially considering our running game > their running game.

I love this stat also. It's very telling. With our defense, and our running game, this team could be light years better with a young franchise QB. And if Shanny was part of the package, reunited with CP, our running game would be even better.

I love this stat also. It's very telling. With our defense, and our running game, this team could be light years better with a young franchise QB. And if Shanny was part of the package, reunited with CP, our running game would be even better.

We would be contenders.

Who's to not say in the package we could come out with a 2nd round pick this year and draft a young OL that's high on the board? There are options available that can improve both the OL and QB position.

In my head, we MUST get this trade done.

Last 3 years:

Not saying who's better but I guess Jason playing behind a worse line and 3 different systems shouldn't make a difference huh?

I know I know, there are people on this forum that say a QB thats starting out and playing in 3 or 4 systems in 4 years should progresss no matter what. I've been asking for the longest, who's done that? I still haven't got an answer.

Again for the record I think JC played well this past season all things considered.

First off Cutler had a better Oline then we did? We have had a pretty good oline the past 3 or 4 years up untill the second half of this year. If you forgot our oline was dominant the first half.

Second of all you said "Again for the record I think JC played well this past season all things considered." to me that right there proves to me your judgement is terrible.

The simple fact was he was not good the whole season. When it was 3rd and 7 he threw a 6 yard pass, 3rd and 3 and threw a 1 or 2 yard pass. The man threw short and underneath all season long as well as being one of the most sacked qbs. I dont blame the Oline at all for this. I blame campbell for not processing what is in front him quick enough. They guy wasn't even solid, he may of had the interception streak but thats because he didnt take chances or even throw occasionally tight passes. Campbell threw underneath all day unless a guy more then 7 yards down field was wide open.

I'm not saying that campbell isnt capable of being at least good but he sure as hell wasnt good this past year. In fact there are backups on other teams or even starting qbs that people dont think that much of that I no doubt believe could have taken us to the playoffs for the simple fact they arent afraid to throw the ball.

Campbell had the #4th ranked defense to back him up, multiple probowlers at the skill positions as well as on the line on offense yet we managed what? The 30th ranked scoring offense? Even in the first half of the season campbell had like what 8 tds total? Its rediculous to even think he played well, I just dont see how anyone could honestly have watched the games and made the assumption unless they really have no clue about football.

Archived