Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Doughty, Redskins agree to 1-year deal

SkinsMaster88

Link: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/mar/10/doughty-redskins-agree-to-1-year-deal-safety-set-t/

Doughty, Redskins agree to 1-year deal

Safety set to compete for job

David Elfin

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

BALTIMORE — He attended the Ed Block Courage Award Foundation dinner on Tuesday night as the Washington Redskins' 2008 winner, as voted on by his former teammates. But you won't find Reed Doughty, who became an unresticted free agent last month, on any team's official roster.

That will change on Wednesday, as Doughty told The Washington Times he'll go to Redskin Park to sign a 1-year deal with Washington, keeping him with the club that drafted hin in 2006.

Doughty, who had been in negotiations with the Redskins and agent Dave Butz Jr. while also talking to "a couple of other teams," expects to battle second-year safety Chris Horton for a starting role while resuming his role on special teams.

"It's not just the money," Doughty said. "It's about how much I'll get to play and what my role will be."

Doughty began the 2008 season in the starting lineup, but when he missed the Week 2 game against New Orleans with the flu, Horton stepped in. A seventh-round pick out of UCLA, Horton had two interceptions and a fumble recovery in the Redskins win, which earned him NFC defensive player of the week honors. Soon, Horton claimed the job for good, and Doughty's headed south. He missed the final 12 games of 2008, going on the injured reserve when a pinched nerve led to back surgery on Oct. 31.

"At first, my back just hurt a little. Next, I had a burning sensation down my left leg and then my foot was kinda numb," Doughty said. "I thought I could play with it and hoped it wouldn't get worse. [The Redskins' medical staff] thought I had sciatica, but when I tried to get back on the field, I just wasn't myself. I didn't want to hurt the team."

The Redskins decided not to offer him a contract last month, making the projected restricted free agent unrestricted.

"It felt like I missed a large opportunity," Doughty said. "I had played well at the end of 2007, but last year I wasn't the player I knew I could be."

Battling comes naturally to Doughty, a sixth-round NFL draft choice out of Northern Colorado who soared from spare part in 2006 to starter for the final six games of 2007 in place of the late Sean Taylor.

Doughty's change in status came while he endured the health issues of infant son Micah, who was born six weeks premature and underwent a kidney transplant within a few months.

The determination shown by Doughty during his difficult year led to his being honored at the annual banquet on Tuesday. The award, named for the late, longtime Baltimore Colts' trainer, goes to a player on each team who is a source of inspiration and courage to his teammates.

"I'm honored that the guys thought enough of me to vote me the Redskins' winner," Doughty said.

And with the offseason conditioning program starting next week in Ashburn, Doughty will be ready to join them once more as teammates. He began running three months after his back surgery and has started lifting weights. He said he's 100 percent and has received clearance to fully participate in the conditioning program.

Note - The Redskins re-signed linebacker Alfred Fincher. Signed off waivers from Detroit last July, Fincher claimed one of the final roster spots and played in Washington's final 15 games, mostly on special teams. For now, the 25-year-old will compete with H.B. Blades for the starting spot opened by Marcus Washington's release last month.

I think Doughty still has upside and so does Fincher there still young and have room to improve. These are the moves a good FO makes they keep players who work in there system and are cheap the let Evans walk but at least we kept theses two.

Doughty, who had been in negotiations with the Redskins and agent Dave Butz Jr. while also talking to "a couple of other teams," expects to battle second-year safety Chris Horton for a starting role while resuming his role on special teams.

:hysterical:

Please humor me here guys....

My 11 year old son has been a Skins fan since birth (no thanks to me I am sure). When we heard the news about T.O. being cut I was happy but after a few minutes my son said "Dad don't you feel bad for Owens, even a little bit?"

I then told him no and used Reed's story as an example of how a guy worked so hard, his hearing issues and his son's illness and he was still cut by our beloved Redskins. That is the type of player you should feel bad for I told him.

It will really make his day when I tell him Reed is back. It has made mine.

Good move....

Great news, Doughty is a great special teams player and a solid backup. I wonder why they only signed him up for just one year? Maybe its because of the injury but I'm glad the guy is back.

I wonder if Westbrook will break out of the practice roster and become that 5th CB on the team? I'm not exactly sure but I think I heard somewhere he was a hybrid player that can play the CB and FS spot.

Please humor me here guys....

My 11 year old son has been a Skins fan since birth (no thanks to me I am sure). When we heard the news about T.O. being cut I was happy but after a few minutes my son said "Dad don't you feel bad for Owens, even a little bit?"

I then told him no and used Reed's story as an example of how a guy worked so hard, his hearing issues and his son's illness and he was still cut by our beloved Redskins. That is the type of player you should feel bad for I told him.

It will really make his day when I tell him Reed is back. It has made mine.

Good move....

My sons 4, even though we live in Cowboy country I hope one day to have a son that loves the game as much as yours does. Great story, keep the Redskins tradition alive :applause:

Archived