Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Doughty, Redskins agree to 1-year deal

SkinsMaster88

BS. Doughty filled in after ST passed away and helped get team to the playoffs.

There's more to being a safety than just coverage. I mentioned his other contributions, but of course you ignore them and just focus on one area which isn't his greatest strength because all you care about is chiming in worthless commentary just to trash the man.

Yeah, "pretty much an auotmatic 7 for the other team." Whatever dude. Talk to me when you can actually discuss something realistically, instead of like a middle-schooler.

All of a sudden everyone loves Doughty now? This board is bananas, he has made so many bad plays for us the past two seasons and everyone on this board would say to cut his ass, to bench his ass, or whatever. Now everyone thinks hes great? Dude is worthless

Great reasoning behind that one. There's other aspects to being a safety other than coverage, and we already have one of the best in LaRon Landry anyway. So, if Doughty comes in, he's probably not going to have to play in coverage anyway, unless both Landry and Chris Horton are injured.

So, I guess I just fail to see your reasoning when we have re-signed Doughty to a $500,000 contract, and we get a great special teams player, a guy who is a blue-collar worker and has starting experience. Yeah, definitely a bad signing for the Redskins.

I didnt say it was a bad signing, if you read my original post all I said is that Doughty sucks, and that isnt opinion, he is just a bad player, or barely mediocre. Yeah he is coming onto our squad making minimum payment and to back up and play special teams, great. But as a safety he is terrible, he started for us a lot of games which is bonkers considering if he was on any other team he probably would be on the practice squad

haha, that's just stupid.

doughty plays hard, but he sucks in coverage. i'm all for the sap crap about his heart and his motor, blah blah blah, but if he lets up big plays. he's a liability on the field. he's good covering the run, good on teams, but seeing him on the field the opposing qb's eyes must get wide. i just hope our starters don't get hurt.

Yeah exactly. If he comes in as a safety, he is doomed. The other team will throw deep on him all day. And again, sure, he is good at making tackles on the running back, but you can get any safety to come in and do that. We signed one random fool last year (Mike Green? Cant remember) that came in and made tackles in teh box too.

All of a sudden everyone loves Doughty now? This board is bananas, he has made so many bad plays for us the past two seasons and everyone on this board would say to cut his ass, to bench his ass, or whatever. Now everyone thinks hes great? Dude is worthless

I think I can count the bad plays on one hand, and most of those probably came in his first start.

No, the guy isn't a spectacular player, but he is pretty solid and you expect your reserve guys to be pretty solid.

No disrespect to Doughty or any of his fans

How many times over the years has he been beaten for big plays?

Its not just a few either.Look at any highlight package against the Skins and its usually the ball going over his head

His tackling isnt that great either,remember that Carolina preseason game where he was in position to make tackles and missed TWICE and the RB had big runs?

As soon as Horton came in he started making turnovers

Yeah exactly. If he comes in as a safety, he is doomed. The other team will throw deep on him all day. And again, sure, he is good at making tackles on the running back, but you can get any safety to come in and do that. We signed one random fool last year (Mike Green? Cant remember) that came in and made tackles in teh box too.
I didnt say it was a bad signing, if you read my original post all I said is that Doughty sucks, and that isnt opinion, he is just a bad player, or barely mediocre. Yeah he is coming onto our squad making minimum payment and to back up and play special teams, great. But as a safety he is terrible, he started for us a lot of games which is bonkers considering if he was on any other team he probably would be on the practice squad

It is your opinion. He is not a bad player at all. I'm not saying he's the second coming of Ronnie Lott, but you are missing something if you feel that he's not a good player. He's started on a Gregg Williams defense, and performed very well, so he's at least good enough to start. I just hope this spinal injury isn't too much for him to overcome, although it probably won't be.

You also underrate the ability of a safety who can play the run very well, which is where Doughty excels. With LaRon Landry, who can cover a country mile back there, Doughty was the perfect complement to him, because he played the box and controlled that area of play.

Name some bad plays. You are aware he didn't play last season for the most part as he was injured? So it wasn't really "the past two seasons" either. Posts like yours with venomous dribble are worthless.

elkabong82, the resident homer has good things to say about every single player. Hell, he wanted Highway 57 in the probowl. LOL

Hahahaha that's so funny. How did you come up with that all on your own? Way to not even discuss the topic and just attack me instead. I explained my reasons, so discuss those, not me, or simply shut up.

Really? Cuz none of that happened in '07 when he started at the end, and he was injured all of '08. We had a top 10 D with Doughty at SS in '07. He looked bad in one game, where he was at FS where he doesn't belong, he's an in the box guy, he's a SS. The second they moved Landry to FS and Doughty to SS we were fine.

sorry guys. reed's a good story but he's just not good enough to be in the nfl. reality hurts. doubt he makes the roster

I didn't think I'd need to go digging for this article ever again.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=251804

Reed Doughty

Reed Doughty was the biggest surprise of the season last year. He’s got a reputation as a run stuffing safety, and the numbers certainly suggest that’s his craft: No. 2 among all safeties in yards allowed per rush attempt (3.8). The team probably feels he can be a run stuffing dynamo (thanks, Mel Kiper) for the next ten years for them.

Where Doughty was more surprising was against the pass, where he actually had the numbers of a top no. 2 safety. Doughty ranked 26th in stop rate last year and 29th among safeties last year with 6.6 yards per attempt against the pass.

So, he's 2nd best at run stopping, and middle of the pack for coverage (notice it says among safeties). Yet, somehow, he doesn't deserve to be in the NFL? Give me a break.

Name some bad plays. You are aware he didn't play last season for the most part as he was injured? So it wasn't really "the past two seasons" either. Posts like yours with venomous dribble are worthless.

He got torched by Fitzgerald.

I can't name any more but honestly it's because Daughty is pretty unspectacular. I'm fine with him filling in for either starter for 2 or 3 games, but he's not good enough to start on this team right now. Horton is a better tackler and has a nose for the ball. Moore looks like he has more upside. Just because Daughty played out of his mind for Gregg Williams in late 2007 doesn't mean he can do the same thing for Greg Blache. I'm thankful for his contributions, but he's competing for the 4th safety spot at this point.

I didn't think I'd need to go digging for this article ever again.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=251804

So, he's 2nd best at run stopping, and middle of the pack for coverage (notice it says among safeties). Yet, somehow, he doesn't deserve to be in the NFL? Give me a break.

really, I want nothing more than reed to succeed, but he played 4 games for us last year and we were 4th against the run.... the stat for him being 2nd against the run is ridiculous.... and he rated 29th in this "stop rate" stat against the pass, 29th out of? 32 safeties in the league? reed will struggle to stay in the NFL every year of his career no matter what we try to cook up as far as stats...

really, I want nothing more than reed to succeed, but he played 4 games for us last year and we were 4th against the run.... the stat for him being 2nd against the run is ridiculous.... and he rated 29th in this "stop rate" stat against the pass, 29th out of? 32 safeties in the league? reed will struggle to stay in the NFL every year of his career no matter what we try to cook up as far as stats...

This was from '07, he didn't playe enough in '08. By the way, there are more than 32 starting safeties in the NFL.

This was from '07, he didn't playe enough in '08. By the way, there are more than 32 starting safeties in the NFL.

we were 4th in stopping the rush with him starting 6 games in 07 and 4th in stopping the rush with him starting 3 games... and differentiating between FS and SS negates that stat altogether... I love reed; am sympathetic to his situation but he'll struggle to make a roster every year he desires to play in the NFL... he was an FA for how long this year? how many offers did he entertain before signing a 1 year contract with us? what was the signing bonus we gave him to prevent other teams from scooping him up?

Archived