Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Knowshon Moreno Scouting Report and Discussion Thread

Going Commando

only way I see is taking him is if we trade down for more picks, he's not the value pick at 13 right now.

That may be true, I don't really know what other teams might think of him, so I'm not sure how far down we could trade and still be able to safely grab him. And there is still his pro-day, which I hope won't change his stock much, because at this point I think it can only go up. But if he gets to his pro-day and runs a 40 in the 4.4 range, it definitely will go up.

The scouts on this website that I found the reports on have Moreno as one of their top 3 players in the class. ESPNs scouts Inc. has him as the 14th best player, and Kiper has him at 17. But Kiper tends to fluctuate too much with his rankings and puts a little too much into the combine for my taste. Drafttek.com also ranks Moreno 14th. If Moreno is the 14th best player in this class, then it is a pretty negligible -1 reach to take him at 13. He gives us good value at the pick.

I'm a department head here at UGA and I can tell you whomever ends up with this guy is going to be VERY VERY happy.

The talent on field has been discussed - I think there is not much debate that he will be a success on the field.

What I can add is that this guy is GREAT young adult. We had him in one of our classes and he was fantastic. He is smart, disiplined and mentally tough. He is a FANTASTIC character guy and I will fall off my chair if I ever hear of him getting in ANY trouble.

Being in the gym early moringings we would be in there during spring 'mat drills' - basically spring fitness sessions. Knowshon led by example ALWAYS pushing himself tp the limit and subsequently others leading by example!

I am SERIOUSLY bummed that according to one NFL Network mock draft - the Eagles are a possibility. It will be VERY hard to root against both he a Stafford (another former student, another great kid!).

Well, he helped trash the Hawaii Warriors in the Sugar Bowl and showed some nice agility while doing it too, so he gets a plus +1 for that. If there's nothing else and no one wants to trade down, draft him for the future.

RBs may be dime a dozen, but ELITE RBs aren't. You aren't going to find Adrian Petersons or LaDanian Tomlinsons easily, and this guy sounds like he's the next one in line.

Moreno is quick and shifty but I can't call him the next AD or LT or in line with that. He should go late first-mid 2nd just like another impressive all around hard working backs. Just how Steven Jackson went with the 24th pick, Larry Johnson with the 27th pick , Maroney with the 21st pick, Deangelo Williams with the 27th pick, etc. If you are a top 15 pick RB you better have elite tools. I am not denying that Moreno is a great kid who is a great all around back but if you use a top 13 pick on the kid he better be better than all of those guys I listed above, and that's simply not the case. He lacks the top end speed and freakish combination of speed and size to be a top half of the round back. Complete solid backs go late round 1-mid round 2 and that's just the facts. That's the reason why the guys you typically see going early are guys like Reggie Bush, Darren Mcfadden, Ronnie Brown, etc. They are the guys who have the rare extra burners that other backs don't have.

But Moreno isn't a top-3 talent and isn't considered to be one of the best RB prospects in years.

The only folks claiming that he's this unique talent are certain members of ES.

The whole premise of the discussion is that the two scouts in the article believe Moreno will be a star in the NFL, and any team picking in the teens will be getting a huge steal by drafting him. If I agree with them, then I make the pick.

That may be true, I don't really know what other teams might think of him, so I'm not sure how far down we could trade and still be able to safely grab him. And there is still his pro-day, which I hope won't change his stock much, because at this point I think it can only go up. But if he gets to his pro-day and runs a 40 in the 4.4 range, it definitely will go up.

The scouts on this website that I found the reports on have Moreno as one of their top 3 players in the class. ESPNs scouts Inc. has him as the 14th best player, and Kiper has him at 17. But Kiper tends to fluctuate too much with his rankings and puts a little too much into the combine for my taste. Drafttek.com also ranks Moreno 14th. If Moreno is the 14th best player in this class, then it is a pretty negligible -1 reach to take him at 13. He gives us good value at the pick.

Nods, if the OT/DE/LB aren't there at 1, I'd rather get a quality guy like Moreno than a risk at some other position (Corner, safety, DT, Guard, WR, TE) I like the guy a lot, but it really depends on what falls ahead of us, I mean how many of us would go back and draft AP over Landry after seeing how well he has played....hind sight is 20/20 though.

Nods, if the OT/DE/LB aren't there at 1, I'd rather get a quality guy like Moreno than a risk at some other position (Corner, safety, DT, Guard, WR, TE) I like the guy a lot, but it really depends on what falls ahead of us, I mean how many of us would go back and draft AP over Landry after seeing how well he has played....hind sight is 20/20 though.

That's pretty much my exact feeling. Everything depends on what plays out in picks 1-12.

The only positions that would be pretty terrible to draft at 13 are TE and WR, and that is just because any player we would draft there would never get a chance behind the guys we already have ahead of them. Also, I don't think there is any chance we'd draft a safety, because there simply isn't one in this class who would give us value at 13. Still, I don't know... I like Landry and he was the best defensive player we could have taken outside Willis. I'd probably still do it all over again today, with maybe a moments hesitation for Peterson and Willis.

I said it before too, if the big 4 OTs are gone, and Raji, Orakpo, and Mauluga are gone, I'd have no problem with Moreno (assuming we couldn't find anyone to trade down with).

That is pretty much the exact list I was thinking too. If Orakpo, Monroe, or J. Smith are there, I think you have to take them no matter what. If A. Smith, B.J. Raji or Michael Oher are, I think you give them second consideration. The problem is, if the draft is held today, it's fairly likely that every single one of those players will be gone. And then I think it comes down to a tier 3 between Maualuga and Knowshon Moreno, depending on which player you think is going to be better and give you more long-term value.

To me, both look like future pro-bowlers at positions we will need to fill in as soon as two seasons possibly. Thus, its a simple matter of who you like more in terms of scheme compatibility, the intangibles, and locker room impact and so on. That probably goes in Maualuga's

There are some good OLBs and DEs and OTs that can be had in the third round. I'd be ok taking Moreno in the first and then someone solid like Cody Brown in the third if we wanted him to start. But again, only if those tier one and tier two players are gone.

Also don't rule out Malcolm Jenkins. He reminds me a lot of a young Shawn Springs, however his stock has dropped because of a subpar 40 time, although there really wasn't a single DB at the combine who ran well. I think 10-17 is his range and we will consider him. He could be great. He can play corner as well as FS, and would be amazing to have him in the nickel and possibly FS on passing downs. I think eventually he could take one of the starting spots. Also don't count out a penetrating DT like Perria Jerry. Beside Haynesworth Jerry could get double digit sacks with interior pass rush which is more important than outside pass rush.

If all our picks (the 4OTs, Rey, Orakpo, Cushing, which would be insanely crazy) we want are off, I'd rather trade down and get Nicks. Plenty of teams have won superbowls without an elite superstar RB. We have a good one for the next couple years, and within those few years we should have another mid-level pick to get another Maroney, Stewart, Larry Johnson, etc...

I like this kid says the 22 year old.

I think he's a great talent that can do it all..but like many said, we have 4 picks and a lot of needs. That really doesn't afford a luxury pick at 13 unfortunately because we need to start looking at the future and who will replace Portis eventually.

Yeah, the guy is good but I think the praise may be a little much. He doesn't have the speed of LT or Peterson, but he's not bigger than them either. He does have great vision and adequate cutting and good power for the position. He's probably going to be a top 10 rb in the league, but comparisons to LT or AP are a little premature. And we just can't use a pick on rb this year. As people have said, when you have a good enough line it really doesn't matter who you put back there.

I like this kid says the 22 year old.

I think he's a great talent that can do it all..but like many said, we have 4 picks and a lot of needs. That really doesn't afford a luxury pick at 13 unfortunately because we need to start looking at the future and who will replace Portis eventually.

but duuuude

I like the thought of this as well. But, unfortunatley I feel there are bigger needs with that 13th pick.

I still think the team will ultimatley try to trade out of this pick. If a guy like Andre Smith were to fall into there laps @ 13 (which I think he COULD) then I think he will be selected if not then I see Vinny trying to move out of this pick quickly.

Certainly easier said then done. With that being said I'm almost certain San Diego will grab him with there selection.

It just makes sense with the way A.J. Smith values BPA scenerio's, and the fact that he basically wants to kick the face of the franchise out of San Diego in Tomlinson.

At 13, the Skins will be able to pick among the following: Moreno; Cushing; VDavis; Wells or Harvin. Everyone else with BPA talent will be gone. I would be happy with Moreno; Wells or Harvin. Cushing will be a bust and Davis nothing special (just like his Bro Vernon). Either Moreno or Harvin ...my two favorites ... will add excitement (and points) to the the boring Skins Offense. I'm still bitter because the Skins overlooked APeterson and DJackson the last two years.

No thanks. Last thing we need right now is another Portis. I'd be fine drafting a speed back later in the draft but when you need starters at RT, DE, and OLB it is not the right time to pick up someone you don't need at all.

At 13, the Skins will be able to pick among the following: Moreno; Cushing; VDavis; Wells or Harvin. Everyone else with BPA talent will be gone. I would be happy with Moreno; Wells or Harvin. Cushing will be a bust and Davis nothing special (just like his Bro Vernon). Either Moreno or Harvin ...my two favorites ... will add excitement (and points) to the the boring Skins Offense. I'm still bitter because the Skins overlooked APeterson and DJackson the last two years.

How can you be so sure of what will be there and what won't?

No thanks. Last thing we need right now is another Portis. I'd be fine drafting a speed back later in the draft but when you need starters at RT, DE, and OLB it is not the right time to pick up someone you don't need at all.

Portis can't stay fresh through an entire season any more. Last year he was spent during the final weeks when we needed him most. If we want to prolong his career, and keep him effective through 17 weeks and beyond, we need another back who can carry the ball around 150 times a season. This would drop Portis' carries back into the 280 range, and I bet his YPC will go back up and he would be able to put together a complete season.

Moreno would be an enormous improvement over Betts in all phases of the running game. Also, on third down and passing downs, we could play Moreno without worrying about losing too much in terms of pass protection from the RB spot by taking Portis out. 4 of the top 5 rushing offenses had at least two backs accumulate over 100 carries on the year, and in those top 5 rushing attacks, only Adrian Peterson and Michael Turner carried the ball more than 300 times. Turner passed the curse of the 370 mark and Peterson came close with 363. Do not be surprised if either of them experience a decline in the next season or two. Moreno will prevent our offense from sputtering at the end of the year, and he projects as a future everydown back if we need him to be after Portis retires.

Lastly, if you think we are likely to find starters at even 2 of those positions in the draft, then you are setting yourself up for disappointment. It would be a significant draft day coup if we even got an immediate starter at one of those spots. The draft is for the future not the following season. We had ten draft picks last year and we still only got one guy who became a starter his rookie year. What are the chances that you think we can hit with only 4?

Archived