Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Knowshon Moreno Scouting Report and Discussion Thread

Going Commando

Walterfootball.com posted a pretty detailed scouting report and player profile of Knowshon Moreno, here are the links:

http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2009kmoreno.php

For the scouting report.

http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2009kmoreno.php

For the player profile.

Edit: Here are quotes of the summaries from both reports:

Moreno is an exceptional athlete who is very quick and can break the big play at anytime. I would compare Moreno to a Chris Johnson without the burner speed. He is a physical runner with great change of direction speed. Moreno's ability to pass pro gives him the opportunity to play and make an impact immediately on a team. He understands protection and picks up the blitz very well. Moreno's desire and competitiveness to score on every play helps him to run hard and through tackles. Moreno will be a star in the NFL, his ability to make plays makes him a great prospect.
Moreno has earned my 5-star, elite grade because he is an every-down back with an elite talent level, whom I would consider as being a better prospect than Adrian Peterson coming out of college. If some team gets Moreno in the mid-first round or later, they are getting a mega steal. I really have no idea why Moreno is so underrated.

In summary of the two pages, both scouts agree that Moreno is an elite talent. Both point out how he is by far the most complete back in this years class, and perhaps the most complete one to come out in quite some time. He runs every style well, blocks well, and is a very good receiver. The most common knock on him that I've read is that he is slow. I don't think this is true at all, and I could tell this just from watching his highlight videos where he absolutely kills a speedy Florida team. More importantly, neither of these two scouts thinks he is too slow to play the position. The report even compares him to Chris Johnson in quickness, albeit without his long burner speed.

As the draft approaches, I find myself getting more and more excited about this kid, and I would definitely be happy with taking him at 13 if the big 4 OT's are gone. I think he could lock down the RB position for us for years after Portis is gone. I also think that he could give us a lot of help in the short term as well:

We've seen over the past few seasons a lot of teams switch to a platooned runningback system and enjoy a ton of success. We've flirted with it, but never really been able to go all in with it for one reason or another, (Maybe Betts isn't all that great) and Portis is still carrying the ball over 300 times a year. This really takes a toll on him late in the season. Remember, it wasn't just our passing game that declined late last year, but Portis was completely spent as well. Acquiring a second elite RB would keep him fresh each season as we make our playoff push and beyond, and it is the best way to prolong his career. Moreno would be a perfect complement. He is a powerful, aggressive runner with elite quickness and agility that catches the ball extremely well.

So in short, lets trade Betts for whatever pick we can get, draft Moreno, and truly move to a dual back system.

This is the kind of thing a team with a bunch of picks like the Patriots can do, ensure future success. However we don't have the pick luxury to completely ignore that we have 6 or 7 much bigger needs than RB, at this point. To be honest if we were to go luxury pick a big WR like DHB or Hakeem Nicks would probably even be a better pick than Moreno, which is no knock on Moreno. Fact is DE, SAM, RT, C, LG, LT, MLB, and probably even CB and WR are bigger needs than RB at this point. Also furthermore even if we did have the pick luxury I wouldn't be a huge fan of Moreno. He's kind of like a poor man's Portis. He needs to be a lead back. He's a workhorse. However in situational 3rd down plays he doesn't have the explosivness to make a huge impact. We need a 3rd down back who can catch the ball and can take it to the house whenever they are called upon, even if it's only on 5 carries. The best RB's who would complement Portis the most are Shady McCoy, Mike Goodson, Devin Moore, Bernard Scott, and Kory Sheets. I would even prefer a power back who finds the hole fast and hits it hard like a Rashad Jennings or Andre Brown. Moreno is the type of back who wears down defenses and consistently gets you 4 or 5 yards, but we need a an explosive complement not just a guy who will get 5 carries and get us 4 or 5 yards a carry, that's what Ladell Betts already does. Look at Derrick Ward, Darren Sproles, Jerrious Norwood, etc., they bust big plays whenever they get in on a tired defense relieving their pro bowl backs.

I really do like the thought behind it. And, I would love to if there weren't glaring needs that need to be filled. With limited picks, a move like drafting Moreno wouldn't be wise. We still have to worry about our RT spot. Also, defensive end. The Redskins are not only talking about bringing back Daniles, but WYNN!!!! That tells you how bad it is. So if anything, we need to trade down and acquire more picks.

I see where you are coming from Dmac, but I think you are severely underestimating Moreno. I think he bears more resemblance to LT than he does Portis in terms of running style and skill set. I think he is already a better receiver than Portis is, and I think he is a powerful and explosive runner who does hit holes hard but can also make a slashing cutback and get upfield. And late last year, lets not forget that Portis couldn't get us 4-5 yards a carry as he was hurt and completely worn down.

Moreno would be a far better backup than Sproles, Ward, or Norwood. Acquiring him would put us more in the category of Jonathan Stewart and Deangelo Williams as far as great running back tandems go. He definitely is capable of busting big plays, he did it in college for two straight seasons in the SEC.

And I know it would seem like a luxury pick now, but in two seasons Portis will be 29 with a ton of mileage on his treads. Having a future pro-bowler step in when his time is up hardly seems like a bad plan. The Panthers spent two first round picks on runningbacks within 2 seasons of each other, when they had other needs, and it netted them the best rushing attack in the NFL and took them all of the way to the divisional round. And no matter what our needs are in the draft, I think that no situation should involve us making even a moderate reach in the first round to draft a player that fulfills one of them. If the 4 OT's, Orakpo, and Maualuga are gone, it's likely that Moreno will be sitting there as the BPA. Would you really rather have someone like Brian Cushing than him?

Be patient and disciplined, draft the BPA today, and you will find yourself with a roster full of talent in a few years.

I really do like the thought behind it. And, I would love to if there weren't glaring needs that need to be filled. With limited picks, a move like drafting Moreno wouldn't be wise. We still have to worry about our RT spot. Also, defensive end. The Redskins are not only talking about bringing back Daniles, but WYNN!!!! That tells you how bad it is. So if anything, we need to trade down and acquire more picks.

I agree with you that trading back makes a lot of sense, but there is still no guarantee that we'd be able to fill our needs even if we did. Plus, its unlikely that anyone we draft in this class is going to make the kind of contribution we need to get to a Superbowl this season anyway. If we are relying on a Rookie to come in and be an impact starter at any of those positions, we are probably setting ourselves up for disappointment. The draft is for the future. We have to look at it that way or else we will continuously reach to find short term fixes that never pan out, thus making those positions a source of perpetual need.

Be patient and disciplined, draft the BPA today, and you will find yourself with a roster full of talent in a few years.

I understand, but look at the Cardinals when Peterson was on the board. They took an olineman. Thats the thing, when you dont have luxury picks. You HAVE to draft by need. If we wanna start looking for Portis' backup, we have to wait til next year.

Running back is the easiest position to find in the NFL, you have to take a risk on that tackle, DE, or LB as they are not only needs but so much harder to find a compitent starter. You can sign a RB off the practice squad who could do admirable but you can't do the same with the other positions. I'd rather take a mid round flier on a RB especially with the depth of this class. First round seems too much for a team so limited with picks. If we can trade down and pick up Donald Brown with a 2nd I would be happy, but the 13th pick and the money that goes along with it is too much. You'd have one of the highest paid backfields in the NFL without a true O-line and QB questions.

I agree with you that trading back makes a lot of sense, but there is still no guarantee that we'd be able to fill our needs even if we did. Plus, its unlikely that anyone we draft in this class is going to make the kind of contribution we need to get to a Superbowl this season anyway. If we are relying on a Rookie to come in and be an impact starter at any of those positions, we are probably setting ourselves up for disappointment. The draft is for the future. We have to look at it that way or else we will continuously reach to find short term fixes that never pan out, thus making those positions a source of perpetual need.

My argument would be then is that I don't feel we are team close to serious contention, where a running back who could provide instant dividends would help us to the next level. As you said, the draft is the future. So we need to bring young talent fill in those positions that need depth and starters to come in NOW so they can contribute in a year, two, or three when we are a more developed team to make more serious run.

We're set at WR, RB, QB and S. That leaves needs at OL, DL, LB and CB. I think VC/DS are going with what they have at CB, thus the rest of the positions of need.

We are not "set" at WR, RB, or QB. Perhaps in terms of the draft and what the team is looking to fill this year, but we certainly are not set.

Well it's kind of pick your poison. You take the RB of the future now with a back who still has at least 3 years left in him, yet you leave your line who will all be cashing in on medicare in a year or 2.

I agree, and truth be told, I would much rather get a great Offensive lineman than Moreno. But the only other players that I can see having as much of a short term and long term impact on our team that have a chance of being there at 13 are Andre Smith and Maualuga (I like Oher and his potential, but he is more of a project and will frustrate in the short term). When push comes to shove, I think Andre Smith will be gone by 13, and Maualuga is a defensive player when its the offense that has the most problems.

So you get a likely situation where we will be taking the 4th or 5th best OL versus the best RB. In that situation, I'd definitely prefer the RB.

Now I'd be for a trade down if it meant we could take the 2nd or 3rd best LB (outside or inside) and also the 5th or 6th best OL, because two players is always going to offer you better odds than one. But I don't see a way we are going to be able to do that without giving up something else to make sure that other picks comes high in the second round.

Thus, with A. Smith gone, drafting then Moreno is probably the safest, easiest thing to do. Still, I'd be perfectly happy with A. Smith, Oher, or Maualuga too.

We are not "set" at WR, RB, or QB. Perhaps in terms of the draft and what the team is looking to fill this year, but we certainly are not set.

In the eyes of Vinny and Dan we are. QB being the biggest ?. Wouldn't you say that DE and RT are the biggest needs we need to address in the draft?

Running back is the easiest position to find in the NFL, you have to take a risk on that tackle, DE, or LB as they are not only needs but so much harder to find a compitent starter. You can sign a RB off the practice squad who could do admirable but you can't do the same with the other positions. I'd rather take a mid round flier on a RB especially with the depth of this class. First round seems too much for a team so limited with picks. If we can trade down and pick up Donald Brown with a 2nd I would be happy, but the 13th pick and the money that goes along with it is too much. You'd have one of the highest paid backfields in the NFL without a true O-line and QB questions.

RBs may seem like they are a dime a dozen, and I agree that Donald Brown looks like a very solid player who I think will be a very good starter one day. But RBs like LT, Peterson, and Portis are definitely not a dime a dozen, and they are rare in the skill set they possess which allows them to consistently produce every single season no matter what the circumstances around them are. There are lots of stories like Larry Johnson, a RB who exploded for 2 or 3 seasons then tapered off. I think Moreno has a legitimate shot to join the former category rather than the latter.

I see where you are coming from Dmac, but I think you are severely underestimating Moreno. I think he bears more resemblance to LT than he does Portis in terms of running style and skill set.

I like Moreno but he doesn't have the speed that LT has/had.

Heck, he isn't even rated as the best back in this draft.

I would love to have Moreno but only if it was Betts were gone. Betts is a mediocre back that managed to get himself a good deal with us. We should have a cheap young stud backing up CP. Not a guy who's getting good money and is two years older than CP and is only a mediocre back who can't pass protect. Trade Betts!!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!

There's no reason to draft Moreno this year. Not having game breaking speed like Chris Johnson makes him no where NEAR as effective as Chris Johnson. So why the hooplah over him? Johnson wouldn't have been quite as good as he was this season without his speed. We have big holes on defense including an End and an Outside Backer as well as needs at RT and C.

There will be a can't miss back next year we can snag, but for now we take the BPA at our positions of need.

Walterfootball.com posted a pretty detailed scouting report and player profile of Knowshon Moreno, here are the links:

http://www.walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2009kmoreno.php

For the scouting report.

http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2009kmoreno.php

For the player profile.

So in short, lets trade Betts for whatever pick we can get, draft Moreno, and truly move to a dual back system.

I like Moreno too i lived in ATL until recently and watched alot of Georgia games.

I've seen the kid do some amazing things with a football in his hands.

As much as i would like the team to draft Knowshon Moreno i figure that the team would be hesitant b/c of CP.

Based on his behavior last year his reaction could have a negative effect on team/locker room chemistry.

1511_feature.jpg Zorn to CP-"Can we draft Knowshon please?"

And can you imagine CP's reaction if they drafted him?

IMO they need to manage/control CP more effectively or get ride of him before they could draft a RB that high in the draft.

Also, we a have a proven 1,000 yard back in Betts as CP back-up but don't give him enough carries to make an impact.

I think the coaching staff has to actually want to use a platoon system at RB for it to work and i don't think our coaching staff (and CP) really want too.

:cry:

I hope that i'm wrong b/c Portis + Moreno would be a nice 1-2 punchsnyder-zorn-121008.jpg

knowshon-moreno-p1.jpg 090101-knowshon-moreno-vmed-3p.widec.jpg moreno.jpg ncf_U_moreno_195.jpg

clinton-portis.jpg clinton-portis-786028.jpg ClintonPortisRavens.jpg op5i-2318.jpg

In the eyes of Vinny and Dan we are. QB being the biggest ?. Wouldn't you say that DE and RT are the biggest needs we need to address in the draft?

They are certainly the biggest short term needs, but that doesn't mean we need or will be able to address them in the draft. Nor does it mean that we necessarily should. If the players aren't there, there is simply nothing you can do but pick the most talented available player at a different position. Its not unreasonable to draft a RB like it would be to draft a WR or QB so soon after putting so much into the positions already. The draft is uncertain enough as it is, you might as well go with the surest bets.

They are certainly the biggest short term needs, but that doesn't mean we need or will be able to address them in the draft. Nor does it mean that we necessarily should. If the players aren't there, there is simply nothing you can do but pick the most talented available player at a different position. Its not unreasonable to draft a RB like it would be to draft a WR or QB so soon after putting so much into the positions already. The draft is uncertain enough as it is, you might as well go with the surest bets.

I like Moreno but he's not worth the 13th pick in this years draft.

If you had a Adrian Peterson-type talent sitiing there...I would consider pulling the trigger.

But Moreno is not a unique talent.

There will be someone available that is a first round talent at RT, DE or OLB.

I like Moreno but he doesn't have the speed that LT has/had.

Heck, he isn't even rated as the best back in this draft.

Yeah I saw that but I don't think Beanie Wells is better. He looks great because of his size, but he isn't as well rounded, doesn't run as hard, and has an injury history that is troublesome. Plus he is a big ten player, and quite frankly, played against inferior competition. In his two years as a starter, Moreno never fumbled (not once almost 500 carries!) and was never seriously hurt. That is pretty much the definition of consistency.

Archived