Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Knowshon Moreno Scouting Report and Discussion Thread

Going Commando

He is not fast enough to be an elite back. He is not a pick at 13, IMHO. I like your effort though

I disagree. I don't know for sure where concerns over his speed originated, but neither of these scouts shared them.

Most of it probably comes from the 40 yard dash he ran at the combine. But consider the fact that only 4 players in the entire combine ran a sub 4.4 second 40 yard dash. Perhaps even more telling, is that only 18 players total ran the 40 in under 4.5 seconds, and only 4 of them were defensive players! Compare this to last years class which ran at the RCA dome: 20 players officially ran a sub 4.4 second time! Beyond that, 54 players ran a sub 4.5 40 yard dash. That's exactly three times the number that ran it in a similar time this year on the Lucas Oil track.

It seems fairly obvious to me that Lucas Oil has a significantly slower track than the RCA dome had. NFL scouts pretty universally acknowledged RCA as a fast track, and to me it seems that Lucas oil is the opposite. We saw the results in how the average times per persition were about .15 to .2 of a second slower than last years!

I'm almost positive that, had Moreno run on the RCA dome track last year, he would have ran a sub 4.5 second time. Assuming he would have ran in a mid 4.4 range, that would have put him in the company of Felix Jones, Steve Slaton, and Matt Forte. That's plenty fast to be an elite back.

I don't know how fast Georgia's track is that they will use at their pro-day, but I imagine it probably isn't as slow as Lucas-Oil's. If he runs a 4.4, he might move into a top 10 pick.

Running back is the easiest position to find in the NFL, you have to take a risk on that tackle, DE, or LB as they are not only needs but so much harder to find a compitent starter. You can sign a RB off the practice squad who could do admirable but you can't do the same with the other positions. I'd rather take a mid round flier on a RB especially with the depth of this class. First round seems too much for a team so limited with picks. If we can trade down and pick up Donald Brown with a 2nd I would be happy, but the 13th pick and the money that goes along with it is too much. You'd have one of the highest paid backfields in the NFL without a true O-line and QB questions.

Got that right, put some road graters on the O-line and see how good average backs start to look. Besides we can get Shonn Green out of Iowa late in the 2nd, and he will be a between the tackles hammer, kid runs with a purpose to punish defenders, reminds me a little of a young Cory Dillon, not quite as fast but the kid is my sleeper pick in the RB department. Brown is a quality alternative as well.

We have way to many needs on the offensive line to pick a back at 13.

Further more I do not see the comparison between Moreno and Johnson? 2 Different type of runners

Interesting note, Moreno, Brown, and Green are all from New Jersey.

Got that right' date=' put some road graters on the O-line and see how good average backs start to look. Besides we can get Shonn Green out of Iowa late in the 2nd, and he will be a between the tackles hammer, kid runs with a purpose to punish defenders, reminds me a little of a young Cory Dillon, not quite as fast but the kid is my sleeper pick in the RB department. Brown is a quality alternative as well.

We have way to many needs on the offensive line to pick a back at 13.

Further more I do not see the comparison between Moreno and Johnson? 2 Different type of runners

Interesting note, Moreno, Brown, and Green are all from New Jersey.[/quote']

We don't have a second rounder. Hey with our 3rd round pick either Shonn or the guy I like more the kid from Liberty Rashad Jennings will be there, so maybe we consider RB there but not in the first round. Also the ultimate proof that it's all about the line and not the running back is Ladell Betts in 2005. Everyone was gushing about him but I kept saying how it was because for some reason in that 10 game stretch or whatever it was our line was the best in the league. I knew Betts wasn't any good. The guy just had open holes for 10 seconds and basically could jog 7 yards before getting touched, but he was always down on first contact.

Interesting note' date=' Moreno, Brown, and Green are all from New Jersey.[/quote']

Moreno and Larry Johnson? If that's who you meant I agree. Moreno is way more comparable to Portis and Tomlinson in terms of size, style, and skill set as the sort of complete back who is good at all phases of the position. If he were a little taller and heavier, he would look very much like Forte IMO.

It seems like half of the top prospects in the draft are form Jersey this year. Cushing and Raji and obviously Kenny Britt are all from there too.

Shameless bump because I didn't feel like making a new thread, but it is SEC runningback related. Does anyone know the story behind Tristan Davis of Auburn? He is a 5'9, 212 rb with legitimate 4.4 speed. He led the SEC in kick return average by 2.5 yards in both his years he was healthy. Apparently he's had health issues but this guy could be a gem as a UDFA. Was he another case at Auburn of too many rb's, not enough footballs?

RB is a revolving door of top talent every draft. We can get one next year or the year after or whenever we actually need one. Right now only RG, LDE, SLB, and maybe multirole LB, WR, RT, C. That is plenty on the plate and with 4 picks I would be very disappointed and confused if we even use our 6th on a RB.

Shameless bump because I didn't feel like making a new thread, but it is SEC runningback related. Does anyone know the story behind Tristan Davis of Auburn? He is a 5'9, 212 rb with legitimate 4.4 speed. He led the SEC in kick return average by 2.5 yards in both his years he was healthy. Apparently he's had health issues but this guy could be a gem as a UDFA. Was he another case at Auburn of too many rb's, not enough footballs?

He was very good in 2005 and 2006. Had high hopes for him. But he was injured (foot) and only played in 3 games in 2007. He was in 5 games in 2008 but few stats. Auburn fans were always anxious to see him return, but it was a week to week thing whether he would play or not. Still he gave everything he had when he was in the game. I see him as playing in the new football league but I hope he gets a shot at the NFL somewhere.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=160013

http://auburntigers.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/davis_tristan00.html

I think Moreno will be a stud, but I can't see us making this move.

We got AH to shore up the defense. We're flirting with one year options like Daniels and Wynn. We're trying to win right now.

While Moreno could spell Portis (and then some) our glaring holes at DE, OLB, and RT would hold us back.

RB is one of the few positions were we have:

1) talent

2) production

3) some semblance of youth

I like the idea, but, sadly, because of our holes we can't make the luxury pick.

This issue with the Skins is that they don't develop their younger players and are always looking to over pay older vets. I guy like Rob Jackson needs to play. Fincher, needs to play. Quit always thinking the solutions is not on your team. Doing so, means that you don't trust your scouting -- and apparently the Skins don't.

I like Moreno. He is going to be a star back in this league. To me he's a lock. Cli nton probably has one good year left in him, and then we will be looking for a back as well. Trust me. Personally to me, I want as close to the sure thing then reaching.

It will be interesting to see if we even bring him in.

I'm more worried about us reaching at 13 out of desperation. I personally didn't want the Skins to take Landry, even though we needed a DE that year as well. Landry has turned out to be a better player then all the potential prospects that year. It worked because we didn't reach.

If your top DE is off the board. Top OLB is off the board and top tackle is off the board. Then take the BPA. Particularly in the first. Go more for need with other picks.

That's just my take.

I think we'll pass on Moreno this year, but I can't wait for the rb class next year. No real great every down back prospects except Dwyer, but there will be a TON of good scatbacks to rest portis and give our offense a new dimension. Spiller, Best, Devine, Murray, McKnight and a few more. So many good scatbacks. Not all of them may come out next year but the great thing is there will be so many that we'll be able to get one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/knowshon-moreno?id=79619#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

Analysis

Positives: Tight-skinned athlete with good overall musculature. Good quickness to the hole. Reads the defense and anticipates where the hole, including cutback lanes, will appear. Exceptional lateral quickness and elusiveness in tight quarters. Very rarely tackled by the first defender. Good acceleration past the initial wave of defense and into the secondary. Good spin and stiff arm, and has phenomenal leaping ability to jump over tacklers. Attacks the line of scrimmage and is a tougher interior runner than given credit for. Can drop his shoulders and has good leg drive. Runs through a lot of tackles due to his competitive drive and toughness. Keeps his legs churning and will spin away from tackles. Soft hands for the reception. Natural receiver who poses intriguing possibilities to be split out wide. Good quickness and effort as a route-runner; isn't just a threat on dump-offs in the flat or screens. Provides a pop in pass protection. Extreme competitor who can put the team on his shoulders. Wants the ball with the game on the line.

Mmm, mmm, mmm. I'm really warming up to this guy. Could be a perfect WCO threat. Can run and catch. He really does have the potential of a true playmaker.

This issue with the Skins is that they don't develop their younger players and are always looking to over pay older vets. I guy like Rob Jackson needs to play. Fincher, needs to play. Quit always thinking the solutions is not on your team. Doing so, means that you don't trust your scouting -- and apparently the Skins don't.

I like Moreno. He is going to be a star back in this league. To me he's a lock. Cli nton probably has one good year left in him, and then we will be looking for a back as well. Trust me. Personally to me, I want as close to the sure thing then reaching.

It will be interesting to see if we even bring him in.

This is my feeling as well. The people who think we shouldn't make this pick because we don't desperately need a running back this year need to think about next year as well. The draft shouldn't be used to fill your needs for the upcoming season because it doesn't provide short term solutions. In another year, running back will be a bigger need, and then if we do nothing again the year after that, it will be one of our biggest.

In one pick this year, we can get a future pro-bowler who could shore up the position for the next 8 (or more) seasons. Betts has no future as a starter here, his career will be over in a season or two anyway, we should trade him now and try and get a 6th rounder or something for him while he still has any value at all. Plus, if we want to prolong Portis' career, we need to platoon him. Deangelo Williams was a monster last year carrying the ball less than 300 times. Our running game is our offensive life, lets keep Portis fresh, and even if we can't then we would still have an elite back to rely upon.

I think we'll pass on Moreno this year, but I can't wait for the rb class next year. No real great every down back prospects except Dwyer, but there will be a TON of good scatbacks to rest portis and give our offense a new dimension. Spiller, Best, Devine, Murray, McKnight and a few more. So many good scatbacks. Not all of them may come out next year but the great thing is there will be so many that we'll be able to get one in the 2nd or 3rd round.

That is what worries me. CP will turn 28 next season, and that is an old 28 as far as the amount of carries he has had in his career. Plus Betts is already 29. We will need more than just a scatback from next year's draft, unless we want to have to draft another running back the year after that. I think you're right about Dwyer being the only guy with every down potential, he looks a bit like Stewart did last year only wthout quite the same level of quickness. But he isn't a complete back like Moreno already is now, and I think it's really up in the air if he'll come out next season, and if he does, who's to say he'll be in our draft range.

Personally, I'd rather take the sure thing now and get set at the position for a long time to come. Moreno will fall to us unless he destroys his pro-day. The draft is difficult and a gamble already, you have to go with the sure thing today.

First of all, I'm not sold on Moreno being a unique talent.

Secondly, I want someone who can come in and start immediately and that's not Moreno.

A tailback is way down on the list of priorities for the Skins.

I'd draft a wideout at 13 (even though we drafted two last year) before I'd take a tailback.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/knowshon-moreno?id=79619#player-profile-tab-set-1:player-profile-tab-analysis

Mmm, mmm, mmm. I'm really warming up to this guy. Could be a perfect WCO threat. Can run and catch. He really does have the potential of a true playmaker.

I went to your link... and noticed the part where it compared his lateral quickness and elusiveness to Barry Sanders'. Plus, I like the part where it says he had 10 inch hands. That's pretty big, and probably explains why he never fumbled in college. His production matched his talent too - in two college seasons he ran for 2,734 yards and 30 tds, while catching 53 passes for 730 yards and 2 tds. I mean honestly, this kid looks like a better prospect and a more complete player than McFadden did last year, especially if he runs in the 4.4 range at his pro-day.

I think that if Georgia had won a BCS bowl this year, or if you take away his combine 40 time, he would be a top ten lock, and very possibly a top 5 pick. People would be talking about him going to the seahawks at 4.

In two seasons, everyone is going to be talking about how incredible it is that he fell to where ever he ends up falling in the same way they talk about Peterson. And we will be kicking ourselves for taking Tyson Jackson or someone else over him because we didn't need him explicitly that year, in the same way we took Carlos Rogers over Jamaal Brown and Demarcus Ware. (Don't get me wrong, I really like Carlos Rogers but he doesn't have a ceiling anywhere close to Ware's or Brown's)

First of all, I'm not sold on Moreno being a unique talent.

Secondly, I want someone who can come in and start immediately and that's not Moreno.

A tailback is way down on the list of priorities for the Skins.

I'd draft a wideout at 13 (even though we drafted two last year) before I'd take a tailback.

I think he fits the scheme well. Turning a dink-and-dunk or screen into a TD like Brian Westbrook can is a huge asset, and it looks like he has the ability to do that.

Moreno is going to be good. He's a lock player. And, the type of back that will be better in the pros. He's a safe pick, and will be good. Guys like Smith, Maybin, etc are reaches to me. We cannot afford a bust at 13. The team I don't want to get thim is the Eagles.

As a Georgia Tech fan, I followed Moreno somewhat closely. He reminds me of a Laurence Maroney type guy. Mid-to-late first rounder, but a pretty mediocre talent as it applies to the NFL. Moreno was no more impressive than Maroney in college, and both of them are downhill rushers of equivalent size.

I wouldn't hate the Skins for the pick up, but it's comes with a lot more risk than some of the other opportunities that will be available.

Archived