Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ray Willis Visited Redskins Park on Wed (3/4)

bushwack

I'd be ecstatic if we could sign both of these guys with a decent deal - we'd be well set to get into the draft and I think it would be a huge upswing for the youth movement, especially on the o-line. It would allow us a lot more options with the first rounder. I think it's more important to sign Willis, the RT since we got Dock back and already have Rhinehart, plus we could have a trade scenario where we ended up with someone like Duke Robinson or Herman Johnson at guard with a lot less bust potential then one of the tackles that could be available at 13.

If we could sign both and draft Maualuga I would have a really difficult time not believe we have a serious contender.

I like Ray Willis but I believe it's in our best interest to not pick him up & continue to work Stephon Heyer into that starting position....he's got tremendous upside & I feel he's not too far from earning that spot.

and besides....we have very little cap space & draft picks to fill many needs at DE, OLB, OT, etc. that unfortunately, we can't afford to bring in depth like Willis until we settle some more important holes in our depth chart~

I like Ray Willis but I believe it's in our best interest to not pick him up & continue to work Stephon Heyer into that starting position...

Heyer is an incomplete tackle. He doesn't have a complete skill set to be a starter. You can polish a turd but it's still a turd.

I understand that he's a local kid, but the manlove for a guy with backup skills is not smart.

I hope this happens. However, I hope it is NOT used as an excuse to neglect drafting OT in the draft. I'm thrilled we have Dock back, and would be very glad to add Willis to the fold, but we eventually need to start paying a high priority to drafting and grooming elite, young OL talent to rebuild our lines. We either need an elite OLT who can play RT until taking Samuels place, or a guy who projects to be at least a dominant, mauling ORT for years to come (like A. Smith).

I won't be happy if Dock and Willis are our token gestures at rebuilding an OL in shambles, just so we can go with a flashier pick at #13.

I've been saying that Stephon Heyer is not the answer for a while now, but neither is Ray Willis. If for whatever reason the best we can do is signing Ray Willis... Then just stick with Heyer and Jansen, and wait until next year.

I've been saying that Stephon Heyer is not the answer for a while now, but neither is Ray Willis. If for whatever reason the best we can do is signing Ray Willis... Then just stick with Heyer and Jansen, and wait until next year.

Got to disagree. Jansen is no longer a starting caliber lineman in this league and Heyer has not shown the ability to stay healthy throughout a season. Willis is young, adds size, and only gave up 1.5 sacks in 10 starts last year on a team that often was playing from behind, thus teams did not have to respect their running game and could tee off on the QB. Jansen should not be considered in the equation to me at all....

Got to disagree. Jansen is no longer a starting caliber lineman in this league and Heyer has not shown the ability to stay healthy throughout a season. Willis is young, adds size, and only gave up 1.5 sacks in 10 starts last year on a team that often was playing from behind, thus teams did not have to respect their running game and could tee off on the QB. Jansen should not be considered in the equation to me at all....

Ray Willis, if he is better than Heyer and Jansen, is only marginally so. I don't know what some other posters are watching, but if you watch the games he's been in, he's often clueless as to who he's supposed to block and gets turned out way too often. He's not a quality starter in this league. He started three games at right guard, the position where sacks are least prone to come from. Is Willis good depth? Yeah, but so is Heyer. We already saw what happened when we picked up Rabach, who was pure depth on the Ravens, and made him the starter here. We're already looking to replace him.

In worst case scenario (i.e. no one is picked up in the draft), save up for a new RT next year. No point in carrying deadweight like Willis when we could just keep Heyer for cheaper.

well said.

Maybe we aren't giving Stephon enough of a chance to develop, but I think in the end, he could be a good backup to Samuels. Ideally though, I think Stephon is NOT starting material but can become a very vaulable back-up OT. Our OL needs help, period. I think regardless of whether we bring in Willis or anybody else, we should still try to sign an OT with our #13 pick. I know we need DE and LB, but that's the reality of our situation--we don't have enough damn picks to address every hole with an elite player. The priority must go to our OL in my opinion.

With Jansen going nowhere, why bring in Willis when we already have one of our own we've spent the past two season's developing, Stephon Heyer?

Everyone always talks about not sticking with our own players, yet when we have a good young player, your looking to upgrade with someone who's not only started less games than Heyer in two more years as a pro, but is no bigger or better a lineman.

Unless we draft a tackle, say no to Willis, give Heyer another year of starting experience, with a fresh Jansen backing him up.

Hail.

I like Heyer I just don't think he is a true starter.

In worst case scenario (i.e. no one is picked up in the draft), save up for a new RT next year. No point in carrying deadweight like Willis when we could just keep Heyer for cheaper.

I agree, while our OL desperately needs to get younger and deeper, I think bringing Dock back and resigning Kendall as a backup (hopefully continuing to develop Rhinehart and Heyer) and drafting at least one OL'man ... can get us through one more year.

If we lose any of our starting LB'ers were screwed. We have to have as close to an immediate starter at LB'er as we can get. Even if we bring back MW, he CANNOT be relied on to go an entire season healthy and playing at a high level. At #13 you still have to take BPA ... and I believe that will still be an OL'man, a DE or a LB.

Even though we made a splash with DT and DB through FA'cy ... i am becoming more and more concerned about who will be replacing MW. Now if we sign Crowell or another stop-gap LB'er, then OL should be the main focus. I guess it all depends on what other FA moves we make. But, i would hold off on Willis for now, he's no better than Heyer IMO. Elton Brown intrigues me more, personally.

For the right price, sign them both. Do I think these guys are going to come in and have an immediate impact? HELL NO! But, they are YOUNG, have SIZE and have some EXPERIENCE. They can add depth to our aging line and challenge the old guys for starting spots. WE STILL USE OUR #13 PICK ON BPA (OL) or Trade back if we can still get him there!!!!! If we are complaining next year that we have too much talent on the OL, then I will be estatic. Players are going to get hurt. A great OL can make an average QB look great (Campbell) look great. We use our Third Round pick on the best DE available. Once again, a strong DL makes everyone look better (LBs/CBs) IT ALL STARTS WITH THE LINE!!

Heyer is an incomplete tackle. He doesn't have a complete skill set to be a starter. You can polish a turd but it's still a turd.

I understand that he's a local kid, but the manlove for a guy with backup skills is not smart.

Well, I think the team thinks he's better than a turd, at the very least.

Course, people on this forum don't believe that players actually develop over time and can get better. This also goes for guys we are trying to sign like Willis and Brown. Which is why I shake my head when they say, 'Well, he's not starting, so he can't possibly be a potential starter.'

At the same time, if they feel that Heyer is lacking in some aspects of his game, they can't depend on him making that jump. If that's true, then you need to bring in guys who you think can make that jump or can help push Heyer over the top.

Archived