Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ray Willis Visited Redskins Park on Wed (3/4)

bushwack

As much screaming as many on here do about drafting and raising up our own players, I'm really surprised that very few people seem willing to give Heyer (yes I know he was an undrafted FA) a chance. He's shown flashes in limited work and is entering his third season.

I know I'll get lambasted for this but if they spend the 13th pick on a DE or LB, I would be ok with going into the season

I am ok with a LB or De. In terms of your point about Heyer, being an OL doesn't seem to be like lets say a QB or WR who take quite some time to develop, most OL seem to either flourish right away or at least in season 2 or not -- with some rare exceptions like Davis with Dallas.

IMO Heyer is OK but from what I read he's not the smartest player, he has a hard time apparently remembering plays and assignments, I recall reading that Randy Thomas was frustrated about that. He seems to be a decent but not great pass blocker, and a below average at the moment run blocker.

Then you read all the JLC reports of "sources" thinking Heyer doesn't have what it takes to be more than a backup. All this together, doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about planting him at the all important RT position. Having said that, who knows, if Bugel is into it, good enough for me, he's the expert. At the moment, I'd gather if Bugel thought he was up to the task they wouldn't be looking at other options.

@Skinsinparadise

The key words from your post are "JLC reports of 'sources'." JLC isn't exactly the epitome of accuracy. I take anything he says with a grain of salt. Like how he said we weren't going to sign Haynesworth, right before we signed Haynesworth. :doh:

I am ok with a LB or De. In terms of your point about Heyer, being an OL doesn't seem to be like lets say a QB or WR who take quite some time to develop, most OL seem to either flourish right away or at least in season 2 or not -- with some rare exceptions like Davis with Dallas.

IMO Heyer is OK but from what I read he's not the smartest player, he has a hard time apparently remembering plays and assignments, I recall reading that Randy Thomas was frustrated about that. He seems to be a decent but not great pass blocker, and a below average at the moment run blocker.

Then you read all the JLC reports of "sources" thinking Heyer doesn't have what it takes to be more than a backup. All this together, doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about planting him at the all important RT position. Having said that, who knows, if Bugel is into it, good enough for me, he's the expert. At the moment, I'd gather if Bugel thought he was up to the task they wouldn't be looking at other options.

Then using your criteria, you think Jansen is still a good player and should be strong next year. That's what Bugel said in an interview a few days ago;)

And that's not speculation from one of JLC's mystery sources, but straight from his mouth.

http://www.redskins.com/do/videoGallery

As of yesterday the signing of Willis has not been made official.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2008824653_hawk07.html

The team has not announced the signing and Willis' agent has not returned phone calls since free agency began, but a report on the league's official Web site said it was a two-year deal.

Would like to see us get back on the phone and pony up a bit more money and get this guy signed. We could right a wrong. Until it's made official, those who were wanting us to sign him can hope.

Archived