Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ray Willis Visited Redskins Park on Wed (3/4)

bushwack

For the right price, sign them both. Do I think these guys are going to come in and have an immediate impact? HELL NO! But, they are YOUNG, have SIZE and have some EXPERIENCE. They can add depth to our aging line and challenge the old guys for starting spots. WE STILL USE OUR #13 PICK ON BPA (OL) or Trade back if we can still get him there!!!!! If we are complaining next year that we have too much talent on the OL, then I will be estatic. Players are going to get hurt. A great OL can make an average QB look great (Campbell) look great. We use our Third Round pick on the best DE available. Once again, a strong DL makes everyone look better (LBs/CBs) IT ALL STARTS WITH THE LINE!!

yup.

in addition, a QB whos is familiar to a system, can make a bad line work.

i think jason is still above average, talent wise no question.

i really think youll be surprised with his precision next year. its not like the mistakes hes made are any different than what most qbs do in a new system.

tony homo had 4 years gettin it on with garret before the tuna gave him the nod.

there will be just as much improvement on this years mistakes, as he did on last years. to quote 98 degrees - "this i promise you"

Six million is probably correct - we had to wait until Monday before D. Hall signed.

We didn't get all of that 8.5 mil back from Taylor being let go I think we go 8 mil and has the 4 mil increase in cap space been added to that Six mil?

Very promising young player who played well for us at both RG and RT this season while seeing his first significant playing time since being drafted in 2005 due to the abundance of oline injuries the Hawks suffered in 08.

Proved to be starter-quality at both RG and RT with some significant upside to him. A physically imposing 6'6 315 that looks bigger than that as opposed to a more athletic looking 6'6 315 like Walter Jones.

From the RG spot did a really nice job as a bulldozer but with limited athleticism but kills guys when he gets their hands on them. Decent pass blocker from the RG spot where he is protected on both sides.

As a RT, again, very impressive as a run blocker but only adequate at best as pass blocker on the edge. So as a RT he gives that dominant run blocker that teams like to have on that size but will be a liability from time to time in pass pro and will require TE help. Will never be a LT.

His not seeing any action until 2008 is no refelction of poor play or slow development or anything like that - just that we have Walter Jones at LT and Sean Locklear at RT and Rob Sims at RG and they stayed healthy up until 08.

The Hawks apparent lack of an attempt to resign Willis should not be seen as a knock on him either. Jones should have a couple years left in him at LT, Locklear is on a long-term contract and is an upper-echelon RT and the Hawks more than likely will be drafting Jones replacement at LT with either the 4th or 37th pick in the draft.

Willis played well enough to get a starting RT job and starting RT money, but the Hawks are set at RT and Willis isn't the future at LT - that's coming in the draft.

So Willis could be back with the Hawks if there is no one willing to take him on as their starting RT and we promise him the starting RG spot.

But I think he deserves, and he probably thinks so to, that he should be a starting RT in the NFL this season, and that's not happening in Seattle - but you guys should be happy if it's with the Skins.

But if the Skins are thinking about drafting Chris Samuel's eventual replacement and starting that guy at RT - I don't see Willis going anywhere to backup.

Wow, Im surprised this slipped past ES yesterday....that's a first.....Im still not sold on this guy. To be honest, I dont even know him. I cant remember seeing him play. Some people on here have said that he wouldnt be that much of a upgrade over Heyer....

For those of you who dont think Willis will be an upgrade go back and watch our game against the Seahawks this year. He played RG and looked solid against the #4 defense.

Well Oakland is interested in Willis and Oakland and Seahawks are rivals so I know Oakland is familiar with seeing the guy play. They said he has long arms and I think it can be an immediate upgrade from Jansen.

Hopefully, Willis will get signed and win the staring RT job against Heyer.

Willis played 3 preseason games and one regular season game against Oakland in his career. They aren't rivals in the same way the Cowboys and Redskins are, and aren't even in the same conference.

They're no more familiar with seeing him play than any other team outside of the NFC West.

I don't think he'll sign. If he left redskins park without a contract than that usually means he won't be a skin. Maybe that's the reason they have elton brown in for a visit.

He also recently visited Oakland so he may just be making the rounds. I think the whole "don't let them out of the building thing" is reserved for 1st day free agents....

The Skins should sign Brown and Willis as long as they come reasonable. Okay sure Heyer has been with the Skins for a while but with the D the Skins have even after some personnel losses the Skins could go deep in the playoffs with the proper OLine mix and or depth. I honestly believe that but my beliefs have lead me astray before.

Got to disagree. Jansen is no longer a starting caliber lineman in this league and Heyer has not shown the ability to stay healthy throughout a season. Willis is young, adds size, and only gave up 1.5 sacks in 10 starts last year on a team that often was playing from behind, thus teams did not have to respect their running game and could tee off on the QB. Jansen should not be considered in the equation to me at all....

Nice point.

With Jansen going nowhere, why bring in Willis when we already have one of our own we've spent the past two season's developing, Stephon Heyer?

Everyone always talks about not sticking with our own players, yet when we have a good young player, your looking to upgrade with someone who's not only started less games than Heyer in two more years as a pro, but is no bigger or better a lineman.

Unless we draft a tackle, say no to Willis, give Heyer another year of starting experience, with a fresh Jansen backing him up.

Hail.

I'm kinda with you in this one. I don't want a bunch of backups on my team. If Heyer isn't given a chance to compete for the starting spot, I want it to be because we have a STUD at RT, not a guy whos a little older and maybe a little better than Heyer.

For those of you who dont think Willis will be an upgrade go back and watch our game against the Seahawks this year. He played RG and looked solid against the #4 defense.

While I've never really heard of him other than on these boards, and don't recall ever seeing him play, his performance against our sorry defensive line last year really isn't an indicator of how well he plays. Hopefully we'll bring him in and he'll be successful, freeing us to draft for some other need.:logo:

I don't think he'll sign. If he left redskins park without a contract than that usually means he won't be a skin. Maybe that's the reason they have elton brown in for a visit.

I don't know. It probably means that we're not IN LOVE with him. We may have given him a respectable offer and told him to think about it. I remember last year we did that with that Seattle WR (Hackett???).

I say sign them, for the right price. It doesn't hurt to have extra young depth all along the line. The worst that can happen is they compete for playing time in training camp. Even Jason Fabini is 34, so replacing our backups with youth doesn't hurt, if that's all he turns out to be.

Well Oakland is interested in Willis and Oakland and Seahawks are rivals so I know Oakland is familiar with seeing the guy play. They said he has long arms and I think it can be an immediate upgrade from Jansen.

Hopefully, Willis will get signed and win the staring RT job against Heyer.

But is that as important as, say, Mix's height?

I don't know. It probably means that we're not IN LOVE with him. We may have given him a respectable offer and told him to think about it. I remember last year we did that with that Seattle WR (Hackett???).

I think this is an entirely different deal. Hackett was offered a 1-year deal for the vet min. + incentives to show that he could stay healthy, and then the FO would go from there, and Carolina offered him a 2-year, $3.5 million deal.

When it comes to Willis, I believe he's been stuck behind solid guys playing on the Seattle o-line, at least at the tackle position in Jones and Locklear. It sounded as if he played solidly when given the chance, has potential, and injuries are not an issue. I think he the Skins are more willing to give him a legit offer, unlike the offer they gave Hackett last offseason.

Archived