Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Basketball Pre Tourney Talk

dcoles11

I think we need a thread to talk about everything college basketball being that it's getting to that time of the year and the "Fear The Turtle" thread has become the de facto spot for basketball talk.

I'm going to start it off with Memphis. My comment, give me a damn break! That is not 3rd best team in the county, not even close. This does a great job of illustrating how stupid polls are, not just football but basketball as well.

Memphis is 26-3, no doubt an impressive record, until you realize they play in freaken conference USA.

Their 3 loses are:

Xavier, another overrated team from a terrible conference.

Georgetown, a mid to low level big east team

Syarcuse, another mid level big east team

Their most impressive win, Gonzaga?

Joe Lunardi has them as a #2 seed, moronic.

I'm going to be a Duke homer now, though I think anyone that is being honest would agree.

Duke should without a doubt be a higher seed than Memphis.

Duke destroyed Xaviers at Xavier and Duke beat Georgetown. So Duke is 2-0 vs teams that beat Memphis.

Duke has a record of 24-5 and they play in the ACC. I think 24-5 in the ACC is a lot more impressive than 26-3 in conference USA.

I'm not saying Duke should be a #1 seed, I think they'd have to beat UNC then make the finals in the ACC tourney to get that.

But there is no way in hell Memphis should be any higher than a 3 seed, they've beaten nobody and play in a terrible conference.

If Memphis gets a 1 or 2 seed, a lot of teams should and will be upset.

I'm an XU alumn. We are very not overratted. Not saying the best but better than being 18th right now. Unfortunately we went on an obnoxious unorthodox cold streak for a little and dropped 3 of 4 in two weeks- about two weeks ago.

Also,, Xavier did get rocked by Duke, but that was NOT at XU. It was on a neutral court in New York for the record.

I am a Villanova fan. Every time I've watched them on TV this year they've lost.

When I don't watch, we shoot the lights out. When I do, offensive rebounds are missing in action.

So while I think the Wildcats can pull a 4 or 5 seed, I know if i watch any more games, we might miss the dance altogether!

~Bang

My top seeds for the tourney are:

UConn

UNC

Pitt

Oklahoma

I think the highest Memphis will be is a 2 seed. I think Duke is a borderline 2 seed, if they can win the ACC tourney I think they will be a 2, if not they will prolly end up a 3.

I agree with this.

Unfortunatley, Memphis didn't play anyone last year either, and they were also a #1 seed. That team eventually made it to the national championship.

Personally, I'd rather see them ranked a #1 because they strike me as a scarey #2 seed. I was looking at ESPN bracket (by Joe Lonardi), and he had Memphis as the #2 seed in UNC bracket.

As a UNC fan that's not something I really want to see.

My top seeds for the tourney are:

UConn

UNC

Pitt

Oklahoma

I think the highest Memphis will be is a 2 seed. I think Duke is a borderline 2 seed, if they can win the ACC tourney I think they will be a 2, if not they will prolly end up a 3.

I they make it to the ACC Championship and lose, it'd be really hard to figure out a justification for not making them a 2 seed. Their record in the ACC trumps a better record in any conference other than the Big East.

I they make it to the ACC Championship and lose, it'd be really hard to figure out a justification for not making them a 2 seed. Their record in the ACC trumps a better record in any conference other than the Big East.

Yeah you're right, I guess after looking at everything again, Duke should be a #2, but I don't think they could get to a #1 unless everyone in front of them lost. I think UConn, UNC, and Pitt are almost locks for the top seeds. I think Oklahoma will end up with the other #1. The #2's will be Duke, Louisville, Memphis, and Mich St. I'm not sure any of those 4 could move up to the #1 line, maybe you could make a case for Memphis, but I don't see it.

I agree with this.

Unfortunatley, Memphis didn't play anyone last year either, and they were also a #1 seed. That team eventually made it to the national championship.

Personally, I'd rather see them ranked a #1 because they strike me as a scarey #2 seed. I was looking at ESPN bracket (by Joe Lonardi), and he had Memphis as the #2 seed in UNC bracket.

As a UNC fan that's not something I really want to see.

I'm not completely sold on Memphis. The decent teams they've played this year, they lost to. C-USA isn't a push over conference, but besides a few teams like UAB and Tulsa, C-USA doesn't really offer Memphis a challenge. They could make the Sweet 16, but I don't expect them to get much farther.

I'm not completely sold on Memphis. The decent teams they've played this year, they lost to. C-USA isn't a push over conference, but besides a few teams like UAB and Tulsa, C-USA doesn't really offer Memphis a challenge. They could make the Sweet 16, but I don't expect them to get much farther.

I'm not saying I'm "sold" on them I just personally don't want to play them in March.

Georgetown will need to finish with two wins in the regular season (easy since its St Johns and Depaul).

They will also need to win their first 2 games in the BE tourney to get on the bubble. I think a 19-13 Hoyas team with wins over Maryland, Memphis, UConn, Syracuse, and Villanova would get in.

Especially since the pundits keep saying that the mid majors this year are soft.

Georgetown will need to finish with two wins in the regular season (easy since its St Johns and Depaul).

They will also need to win their first 2 games in the BE tourney to get on the bubble. I think a 19-13 Hoyas team with wins over Maryland, Memphis, UConn, Syracuse, and Villanova would get in.

Especially since the pundits keep saying that the mid majors this year are soft.

I think Notre Dame would get in ahead of Georgetown. Right now, I see the Big East getting 8 teams in: UConn, Pitt, Louisville, Villanova, Marquette, WVU, Providence, and Syracuse. I don't see the Big East getting 9 or 10 teams in and if they did get 9 I think Notre Dame has a better chance and here's why. Notre Dame beat Georgetown back in January. If Notre Dame were to win their last game plus 2 games in the BE tourney, they would be 19-14 with a win over Georgetown, Texas, Louisville, and Providence. Their worst loss would be to St. John's.

Now if you look at Georgetown, they do have better quality wins, but they lost to Notre Dame. GU also lost to Seton Hall and Cincinnati twice, a team that is also on the bubble. I think the losses to Notre Dame and Cinncy will hurt them the most because they are also bubble teams and they don't have the head-to-head over them

Hell, knowing the BCS bias, a 6-10 G-Town team could get in over a Davidson team (if Davidson somehow loses in their tourney) :doh:

I'd make it you have to be AT LEAST .500 in your conference regular season to get an at-large :2cents:

Hell, knowing the BCS bias, a 6-10 G-Town team could get in over a Davidson team (if Davidson somehow loses in their tourney) :doh:

I'd make it you have to be AT LEAST .500 in your conference regular season to get an at-large :2cents:

I agree with that! The best part of the NCAA tourney is watching the underdogs win some games. There are some good mid-majors that won't make the tourney this year in favor of teams that are under .500 in conference. If you can't win half your conference games, you shouldn't be allowed to get in!

I think the Hoya's will need 3 wins in the Big east tournament. Otherwise it will be hard to justify them passing a Cincinnati team that swept them and finished 2 games ahead of them in the standings.

I'm going to be a Duke homer......

But there is no way in hell Memphis should be any higher than a 3 seed, they've beaten nobody and play in a terrible conference.

If Memphis gets a 1 or 2 seed, a lot of teams should and will be upset.

Shocking. Duke has lost 4 conference games. Memphis is undefeated in conference play. Duke isn't even the best team in their own conference, and should not be a #1 seed.

The #1 seeds should be:

1) UCONN

2) UNC

3) Oklahoma

4) Toss up -- Pitt/Memphis (I lean towards Pitt)

Shocking. Duke has lost 4 conference games. Memphis is undefeated in conference play. Duke isn't even the best team in their own conference, and should not be a #1 seed.

The #1 seeds should be:

1) UCONN

2) UNC

3) Oklahoma

4) Toss up -- Pitt/Memphis (I lean towards Pitt)

Not that I'm a Duke fan or anything, but you say that Duke isn't the best team in their conference, which is true, but neither is Oklahoma or Pitt. Oklahoma is 2nd in the Big 12 and Pitt is 3rd in the Big East. So just because a team doesn't have the best record in their conference doesn't mean they can't be a #1 seed. I think Memphis should be a #2, but they could make a case for #1 Pitt, Oklahoma, UNC, or UConn struggle in their conference tourneys

i was disappointed with Notre Dame down the stretch of last nights game.

i know g-town lost to notre dame, but they also beat villanova this week and notre dame just lost to them.

i also think SOS plays a huge part in the selection, and Notre Dame has a SOS of 40 something compared to g-town's 1.

i give the edge to g-town depending on how they do in the big east tourney.

Archived