Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Basketball Pre Tourney Talk

dcoles11

The only way GU or ND get into the dance is if they win the Big East Tournament. Get ready to watch them in the N.ot I.nvited T.ournament

there is definate chance that might happen.

i wouldn't be so sure though, i'm not ready to count either one of them out just yet

there is definate chance that might happen.

i wouldn't be so sure though, i'm not ready to count either one of them out just yet

They need to get to 20 wins for an at large, and that's not happening.

Well they can only play the teams that are on their schedule. While they did lose to Syracuse, Georgetown, and Xavier, all those games were close and all 3 are quality teams. If you look at another projected #2 like Mich St, you can find problems with their resume too. While they are 13-3 in the Big Ten, the Big Ten isn't as good as previos years. Mich St lost by 18 to UMD, by 35 against UNC, and lost at home to Northwestern and Penn State. The UMD and UNC games were both neutral courts, the UNC game was played in Detroit so not really a true neutral court.

But if you compare them to Memphis, couldn't you say Memphis is just as good if not better than Mich St? Its not like the teams from the Big Ten are world beaters and Mich St has a huge blowout loss to UNC. Memphis's 3 losses are by 5, 7, and 9 points. I think Memphis deserves no greater than a #2, I think a #1 would be pushing it a little, but a #2 seems about right.

I think Duke's resume is superior to Memphis's. I don't see how Memphis could or deserves a better seed than Duke.

As Joe Lunardi has it now.

I think Duke's resume is superior to Memphis's. I don't see how Memphis could or deserves a better seed than Duke.

As Joe Lunardi has it now.

I think alot of that has to do with Memphis's big winning streak. They haven't lost since Dec. 20th. My #2 seeds are Memphis, Louisville, Duke, and Mich St. I can see why he has Kansas as a #2 for now, but I think they will be a #3 unless they win the Big 12 and one of the #2s I mentioned falters down the stretch.

My top seeds are Uconn Pitt :puke: UNC and Oklahoma.

Once again, Duke will be seeded way too high and lose in the 2nd round to a team that bullies them inside. If they get a 3 seed and play a six seed from the Big East or Big 10, they'll lose.

Marquette is going to be seeded too high. They had a great first 2/3 of the season but injuries have killed them lately.

Gtown wont get in, they havent done anything all year since beating UCONN back in December.

My top seeds are Uconn Pitt :puke: UNC and Oklahoma.

Once again, Duke will be seeded way too high and lose in the 2nd round to a team that bullies them inside. If they get a 3 seed and play a six seed from the Big East or Big 10, they'll lose.

Marquette is going to be seeded too high. They had a great first 2/3 of the season but injuries have killed them lately.

Gtown wont get in, they havent done anything all year.

So where should the 2nd best team in the ACC be seeded?

Not sure how you can over rate the 2nd best team in the ACC.

As far as losing to a 6th seed from the Big 10 and Big East, they didn't have any trouble with Purdue at Purdue and they beat Georgetown.

As far as losing to a 6th seed from the Big 10 and Big East, they didn't have any trouble with Purdue at Purdue and they beat Georgetown.

They had some trouble with a #7 seed last year, and an 11 seed the year before.

WHOA they beat Georgetown? OMFG! GEORGETOWN?!?!?!?!

I think Duke is a #2 seed. Depending on their 2nd round matchup, I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose in the 2nd round. They do struggle against teams that have an inside game and if they have an off night from outside, they are done.

They had some trouble with a #7 seed last year, and an 11 seed the year before.

WHOA they beat Georgetown? OMFG! GEORGETOWN?!?!?!?!

What does last year and the year before have to do with where they should be seeded this year?

And yes they beat Georgetown, who has beaten teams like UConn and Nova.

You make it sound like Duke can't beat Big East teams, if they can beat Georgetown they can beat anyone in the Big East on any given day.

What does last year and the year before have to do with where they should be seeded this year?

You make it sound like Duke can't beat Big East teams, if they can beat Georgetown they can beat anyone in the Big East on any given day.

a georgetown team that lost to seton hall...just sayin...lol

Xavier, another overrated team from a terrible conference.

Georgetown, a mid to low level big east team

Syarcuse, another mid level big east team

Not sure how the 9th ranked conference out of 32 total is "terrible." It is usually ranked as the 7th-9th conference on any given year. Above average but not great I would call the A10.

It shows that in the tournament, when they play teams with an inside presence, Duke folds like deck chairs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4OWvM6EGgg

The 2nd place team in the ACC SHOULD get a 2 or 3 seed. THIS Duke team isnt good enough to warrant it and will get beaten early. Again.

Earth to Dcoles. Georgetown sucks. Sure, they beat Uconn in December. They have also lost to Seton Hall, Cincinnatti twice, Notre Dame, and are 6-10 in the Big East and wont make the tournament.

:doh:

Georgetown is currently in 11th place in the Big East. So that is the equivilant of me saying if Morgan State can beat Maryland, they can beat anyone in the ACC.

I think Duke is a #2 seed. Depending on their 2nd round matchup, I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose in the 2nd round. They do struggle against teams that have an inside game and if they have an off night from outside, they are done.

any team can get knocked out in the 2nd round, this notion that it's only Duke that has to worry about this come from the fact that it's happened to them the past 2 years.

The Duke team thats lost to VCU was just a bad team, they were only a 6th seed.

Last year's team was better than that team that lost to VCU but not great by any stretch. They lost in the 2nd round, which has happened to numerous teams, no matter what the seed.

Could they lose in the 2nd round this year? Of course, and so could UNC, they lost in the 2nd round to George Mason a few years back.

With the parity in college basketball, once you get in the 2nd round, anyone can lose.

I realize most everyone roots for Duke to get beat, but to act as if they are the only team that this could happen to is a little unfair.

I wouldn't use G'town to raise duke's stock in an argument. Just stick to the fact that they will more than likely be the #2 team in the best conference in basketball (could be the #1 team if things play out right)....that is enough.

Duke seems to have gotten it together at the right part of the season this year. If Scheyer and Henderson keep on playing like they have been and Paulus and Singler can turn it back up....Duke could be very dangerous in the tournament this year.

.....or they could just fold in the second round again.

So now we're basing seeds on potential match up issues a team could have? Just throw out their body of work during the season.

Win 25+ games, finish 2nd in a top conference, none of that matters, they might have trouble with a team that has a good inside game so they don't get a good seed :doh:

Plus we should hold what a team did the prior 2 years, in a single elimination tournament, against them when seeding, again don't bother to look at their body of work for the 2009 season.

When seeding for the 2009 tourney, look at what they did in 08 and 07?

Going to have to strongly disagree with this thinking.

So now we're basing seeds on potential match up issues a team could have? Just throw out their body of work during the season.

Win 25+ games, finish 2nd in a top conference, none of that matters, they might have trouble with a team that has a good inside game so they don't get a good seed :doh:

I said they WILL get a good seed. THEN they will be beaten by a lower seeded team with an inside presence.

Plus we should hold what a team did the prior 2 years, in a single elimination tournament, against them when seeding, again don't bother to look at their body of work for the 2009 season.

When seeding for the 2009 tourney, look at what they did in 08 and 07?

Going to have to strongly disagree with this thinking.

The reason Duke is overrated in the rankings every year is due to what they did in the early 90's.

I think the best conference in basketball is probably the one that is going to have 2 #1 seeds and a #2 seed.

It is a pretty close race....but I'm going to have to go w/ the conference that will have half of their teams record 20 win seasons.

It gets a little bit easier to post two #1 seeds when you have 16 teams in your conference.

Big East is very good though. Close second in my book.

It is a pretty close race....but I'm going to have to go w/ the conference that will have half of their teams record 20 win seasons.

It gets a little bit easier to post two #1 seeds when you have 16 teams in your conference.

big east has less overall wins cuz top to bottom its a better league and teams lose to good teams

I'm a huge ACC fan, but this year the Big East has better teams at the top. UConn, Pitt, Louisville, Marquette could easily match up against UNC, Duke, Wake, and Clemson. I would take Marquette and Louisville over Wake and Clemson. The other 2 would be a toss up. I would give the edge to Pitt over Duke because of Blair. And UNC vs. UConn is what I'm hoping for in the Nat'l Championship because I believe those are the 2 best teams in the country.

I would def say its close. The Big East is better at the top, and deeper though.

I mean jeez, people are saying Gtown is good, and they are 6-10 in the league and in 11th place of 16. :)

DePaul would lose to GT though. :silly:

Archived