Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NCAA Basketball Pre Tourney Talk

dcoles11

i was disappointed with Notre Dame down the stretch of last nights game.

i know g-town lost to notre dame, but they also beat villanova this week and notre dame just lost to them.

i also think SOS plays a huge part in the selection, and Notre Dame has a SOS of 40 something compared to g-town's 1.

i give the edge to g-town depending on how they do in the big east tourney.

thats a valid arguement with SOS, but i just feel like they take head-to-head into account too and nd beat gu and gu also got swept by cinncy who is another bubble team

i think the conference tourneys this year will play a huge role for the bubble teams. if all the experts are right that mid-majors won't get alot of bids, then teams like georgetown, notre dame, miami, michigan, virginia tech could get in with good runs in their conference tourneys. should be fun to watch!

dcoles, do you second this?

Yeah, I just don't see them getting in without winning the Big East Tounrey.

Even if they win their last 2 Big East games vs St. John's and Depaul, that only puts them at 8-10 in the conference and 17-12 overall.

I think the magic number is .500 in your conference. Plus they are probably going to finish around 10th in the Big East.

any SEC team gonna do squat?

and how strong is the pac 10 this year?

discuss!

I typically think the Pac-10 is very overrated in basketball. Really the only team that has any measure of success in the tournament is usually UCLA. I have a hard time affording credit to schools that WVU has prawned in the NCAAs (Arizona and Duke last year).

I think LSU has a shot at success in the tourney this year, and then maybe Tennessee if they get the right matchup. Otherwise, SEC teams will probably get killed by anyone they meet from the Big 12, ACC, or Big East. (That said, it's noteworthy that UK beat WVU earlier in the season so I don't seem too much like a hypocrite... That was a looooooooong time ago, though.)

Shocking. Duke has lost 4 conference games. Memphis is undefeated in conference play. Duke isn't even the best team in their own conference, and should not be a #1 seed.

The #1 seeds should be:

1) UCONN

2) UNC

3) Oklahoma

4) Toss up -- Pitt/Memphis (I lean towards Pitt)

If you read my post, you'd see that I said Duke shouldn't be a #1 seed, I said #2 seed.

Also, you want to make Pitt and UConn both #1 seeds, one of them isn't going to be the best team in their conference, so why the double standard against Duke?

Memphis should be a 3 seed. Their most impressive win all year was against Gonzaga and they have lost to teams that a #1 seed should beat.

They lost to Xavier, Georgtown, and Syracuse. Duke destroyed Xavier and beat Georgetown.

Basically, whenever Memphis did play a team that was decent, they lost.

Highly overrated team.

Not that I'm a Duke fan or anything, but you say that Duke isn't the best team in their conference, which is true, but neither is Oklahoma or Pitt. Oklahoma is 2nd in the Big 12 and Pitt is 3rd in the Big East. So just because a team doesn't have the best record in their conference doesn't mean they can't be a #1 seed. I think Memphis should be a #2, but they could make a case for #1 Pitt, Oklahoma, UNC, or UConn struggle in their conference tourneys

Exactly, typical double standard shown by Popeman38.

Duke shouldn't be a #1 seed (which I never said they should be anyway) because they aren't the best team in their conference.

But it's ok for Pitt and Oklahoma to be #1 seeds :doh:

My trouble with Memphis is, when they played anyone that was decent, they got beat.

How can a team be #1 or #2 seed when their most impressive win all year was against Gonzaga?

Are we saying winning and dominating conference USA is enough to earn a #1 seed?

I think finishing 2nd in the ACC or 2nd or 3rd in the Big East is much more impressive.

Memphis is a 3 seed in my opinion. They'll probably get a 2 but if they get a 1 that will be very unjust.

My top seeds for the tourney are:

UConn

UNC

Pitt

Oklahoma

I think the highest Memphis will be is a 2 seed. I think Duke is a borderline 2 seed, if they can win the ACC tourney I think they will be a 2, if not they will prolly end up a 3.

If Duke wins the ACC tourney....they will be a lock at #1 seed

Just to further my case for Duke getting a higher seed than Memphis.

Duke is probably going to finish 2nd or 3rd in the ACC, a conference that is going to get 7 or 8 bids.

Memphis plays in a conference where it's possible they will be the only bid, maybe 2, but that is it.

I really don't see how the 2 compare.

And again, Duke is 2-0 vs teams that Memphis lost to. Beating Xavier and Georgetown.

Exactly, typical double standard shown by Popeman38.

Duke shouldn't be a #1 seed (which I never said they should be anyway) because they aren't the best team in their conference.

But it's ok for Pitt and Oklahoma to be #1 seeds :doh:

My trouble with Memphis is, when they played anyone that was decent, they got beat.

How can a team be #1 or #2 seed when their most impressive win all year was against Gonzaga?

Are we saying winning dominated conference USA is enough to earn a #1 seed?

I think finishing 2nd in the ACC or 2nd or 3rd in the Big East is much more impressive.

Memphis is a 3 or 4 seed in my opinion.

For once me and you agree on something! :cheers:

I think Memphis is overrated a little, but I can still see them as a #2 seed. For them to be undefeated in conference play again is impressive and C-USA does have some quality teams in it unlike years past. UAB is a good team that has a chance at making the tourney and Tulsa is another solid team. Granted Memphis lost to the good teams they did play out of conference, every night in conference play they have a huge target on their back and they still haven't lost. Plus, unlike most teams, they don't really have a bad loss unless you include Georgetown who they lost to in OT @Georgetown.

If Duke wins the ACC tourney....they will be a lock at #1 seed

I don't know. If UNC wins out the regular season and loses to Duke in the ACC Championship would they lose their #1 seed? What if Oklahoma wins the Big 12 tourney and UConn or Pitt win theirs with both of them being in the championship game? For Duke to get a #1 it would take a little more than them just winning the ACC, imo

For once me and you agree on something! :cheers:

I think Memphis is overrated a little, but I can still see them as a #2 seed. For them to be undefeated in conference play again is impressive and C-USA does have some quality teams in it unlike years past. UAB is a good team that has a chance at making the tourney and Tulsa is another solid team. Granted Memphis lost to the good teams they did play out of conference, every night in conference play they have a huge target on their back and they still haven't lost. Plus, unlike most teams, they don't really have a bad loss unless you include Georgetown who they lost to in OT @Georgetown.

I think you can come up with a whole host of teams that could have gone undefeated in Conference USA out of the ACC and Big East.

For Memphis to be a high seed they had to prove they deserved it in their non-conference shedule and they didn't do that.

Losing to Xavier, Syracuse, and Georgetown. Their most impressive win is over Gonzaga.

Memphis is below .500 against quality teams. Stick them in the ACC or Big East and they are middle of the pack.

Ah March Madness...:D

All I'm focusing on right now is the CAA tournament this weekend. My GMU Patriots have a great shot at winning it from the #2 seed, so there's that to look forward to. I don't think we have a legit shot to make another run like we did in 06 if we make the NCAA, but we could always win a game, maybe two, to start the tournament off.

I think you can come up with a whole host of teams that could have gone undefeated in Conference USA out of the ACC and Big East.

For Memphis to be a high seed they had to prove they deserved it in their non-conference shedule and they didn't do that.

Losing to Xavier, Syracuse, and Georgetown. Their most impressive win is over Gonzaga.

Memphis is below .500 against quality teams. Stick them in the ACC or Big East and they are middle of the pack.

Well they can only play the teams that are on their schedule. While they did lose to Syracuse, Georgetown, and Xavier, all those games were close and all 3 are quality teams. If you look at another projected #2 like Mich St, you can find problems with their resume too. While they are 13-3 in the Big Ten, the Big Ten isn't as good as previos years. Mich St lost by 18 to UMD, by 35 against UNC, and lost at home to Northwestern and Penn State. The UMD and UNC games were both neutral courts, the UNC game was played in Detroit so not really a true neutral court.

But if you compare them to Memphis, couldn't you say Memphis is just as good if not better than Mich St? Its not like the teams from the Big Ten are world beaters and Mich St has a huge blowout loss to UNC. Memphis's 3 losses are by 5, 7, and 9 points. I think Memphis deserves no greater than a #2, I think a #1 would be pushing it a little, but a #2 seems about right.

Archived