Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: (Monday): Taylor plans to return

Rypien1191

Sigh. Would be fine if he was back for $3M.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/22/AR2009022202176.html

Redskins' Taylor Is Planning to Return

Hobbled by injuries during his first season with the Washington Redskins, defensive end Jason Taylor plans to return to the team and is "ready to roll," his agent said last night.

"It's tough to play when you're injured, when you can't do the things you always have, and Jason was just dealing with a lot last year," said Taylor's agent, Gary Wichard. "But it is what it is. That's just part of this game, and Jason never made excuses. He's working to be the same Pro Bowler he always was, and he's ready to go."

Last season, Taylor, 34, rarely resembled the all-pro performer and former NFL defensive player of the year for whom the Redskins dealt a second-round pick in April's draft and a sixth-round pick in 2010. Taylor sprained his right knee in a preseason game and twice underwent surgery on his left calf to relieve acute compartment syndrome, a buildup of pressure on muscle groups.

Predominantly playing left end for the first time in his career, Taylor had only 3 ½ sacks -- his lowest total since 1999. The 12-year veteran's lack of production prompted speculation that the Redskins would ask Taylor to take a pay cut from his $8.5 million salary in 2009, and release him if he declined. But Taylor's salary for next season has never been an issue, Wichard said.

"Before the trade was done, he was asked if he would play out his two years left on the contract, and he said, 'Absolutely,' " Wichard said. "They asked for a two-year commitment from Jason. They gave up a lot to get him, so I understand why they did, and we gave them that commitment. That was the deal, so there's nothing new there. They weren't doing it for one year and we weren't doing it for one year. It was two years on both sides."

Acquired from the Miami Dolphins on the first day of training camp in July after defensive end Phillip Daniels suffered a season-ending knee injury, Taylor was expected to significantly bolster the Redskins' pass rush. With Taylor and right end Andre Carter, the Redskins envisioned having one of the league's top edge-rushing tandems.

But Taylor was miscast in Washington's defensive plans, team sources said. The successful scheme that coordinator Greg Blache and his predecessor, Gregg Williams, brought to Washington emphasizes stopping the run above all else, and Taylor, whose weight during the season drops to about 240 pounds, was never considered an elite run-stopper. He lacked the freedom to simply blitz upfield and attack any gap he pleased, as he did with abandon in Miami.

Also, the Redskins' 4-3 defense mandates that players exercise discipline in executing assignments. Washington's approach does not allow for the type of freedom Taylor, who at times operated as a de facto outside linebacker in Miami's 3-4 alignments, had with the Dolphins. Linebacker Joey Porter thrived as the team's top edge rusher from the weak-side linebacker position Taylor formerly occupied, finishing second in the league with 17 ½ sacks.

The Redskins have discussed ways to better utilize Taylor during their offseason meetings. Taylor is expected to have greater freedom next season, team sources said.

Quick! Someone cut and paste a picture of someone flushing money down the proverbial toilet. He is inconsequential to the success or failure of our defense. Taylor is moot. He will be moot again next year. They might as well pay him and release his ass. They're just throwing poop at the wall hoping that it will stick again. Same ol', same ol' :2cents:

Would anyone really want him?

of corse teams would want him. Maybe not for a 2nd and 6th, but definately for something. He's a former NFL MVP who's amongst if not THe league leaders in sacks since 2000, he fits perfectly into many schemes (ust not ours last year) and could play for almost anybody at RDE.

We could get something if we dangled him. The question is will the offers be worthwhile.

He still has one year left on his contract...that means it's up to the Skins if he comes back or not, not Taylor. He could still technically be a cap casualty.

Anyhoo, this article blatantly admits the poor planning and research into acquiring Jason. His skill set and play style did not fit Blache's or even GW's defense. Was there any research prior or was it just ignored?

Thank god you people don't run the front office. Our team would be more in shambles than it is now. If you have any games DVR'ed please watch them. I'm not giving the sarcastic comment 'please watch the games because you don't know what your talking about'. I'm saying start the games and watch strictly our ends. I understand on Defense you don't really watch anyone except where the ball is. Carter and Taylor both explode from the line of scrimmage. I have never seen another team explode off the ends like these guys do. But then watch closely the DT's getting pushed back off the line of scrimmage. The pocket for QB's is HUGE. Carter and Taylor aren't the problem. If we can get some pocket collapsing DT's we would have 2 pro bowl ends on our team right now. I understand Taylor is using 8Mil on the cap, but the guy is still in amazing physical condition and can still play at a very high level. I'm glad we have JT for another year, despite his injuries he was an asset to this team.

He still has one year left on his contract...that means it's up to the Skins if he comes back or not, not Taylor. He could still technically be a cap casualty.

It sounds like the feeling is mutual, with the comments from Vinny and Zorn.

Anyhoo, this article blatantly admits the poor planning and research into acquiring Jason. His skill set and play style did not fit Blache's or even GW's defense. Was there any research prior or was it just ignored?

I doubt the thinking was that Taylor was going to be a drop-in replacement for Daniels. To be honest, we weren't going to find that player at that point. What he is is a talented veteran who can help the team, and it is the job of the defensive coaches to figure out how to best use him. Unfortunately, that probably didn't happen last year, partially due to injury and partially due to not having a lot of time to adjust to a late-comer coming into the defense.

Thank god you people don't run the front office. Our team would be more in shambles than it is now. If you have any games DVR'ed please watch them. I'm not giving the sarcastic comment 'please watch the games because you don't know what your talking about'. I'm saying start the games and watch strictly our ends. I understand on Defense you don't really watch anyone except where the ball is. Carter and Taylor both explode from the line of scrimmage. I have never seen another team explode off the ends like these guys do. But then watch closely the DT's getting pushed back off the line of scrimmage. The pocket for QB's is HUGE. Carter and Taylor aren't the problem. If we can get some pocket collapsing DT's we would have 2 pro bowl ends on our team right now. I understand Taylor is using 8Mil on the cap, but the guy is still in amazing physical condition and can still play at a very high level. I'm glad we have JT for another year, despite his injuries he was an asset to this team.

One problem with this is that teams were taking advantage of Carter - and especially Taylor - exploding off the line of scrimmage by running the ball right at him, effectively neutralizing his pass rush.

I doubt the thinking was that Taylor was going to be a drop-in replacement for Daniels. To be honest, we weren't going to find that player at that point. What he is is a talented veteran who can help the team, and it is the job of the defensive coaches to figure out how to best use him. Unfortunately, that probably didn't happen last year, partially due to injury and partially due to not having a lot of time to adjust to a late-comer coming into the defense.

I think we had this convo last year, saying that adding Taylor was effectively addressing our pass rush. I think you may have hit the nail on the head right here. But I wonder how effective he can be on the left side trying to stop the run.

Jason Taylor is a beast. Ofcourse Murphy's law strikes us consistently though. People forget he had a life threatening calf injury last year and needed surgery on it. small surgery but they cut him open. Hopefully he'll be 100 percent this year. He's coming back so give him a chance

But Taylor was miscast in Washington's defensive plans, team sources said. The successful scheme that coordinator Greg Blache and his predecessor, Gregg Williams, brought to Washington emphasizes stopping the run above all else, and Taylor, whose weight during the season drops to about 240 pounds, was never considered an elite run-stopper. He lacked the freedom to simply blitz upfield and attack any gap he pleased, as he did with abandon in Miami.

Washington's approach does not allow for the type of freedom Taylor, who at times operated as a de facto outside linebacker in Miami's 3-4 alignments, had with the Dolphins.

The Redskins have discussed ways to better utilize Taylor during their offseason meetings. Taylor is expected to have greater freedom next season, team sources said.

How funny. I knew all of this last summer. I knew that Jason Taylor was a PASS RUSHER and not a run stopper last summer. I knew that he was better as a roaming linebacker, free to make plays.

How is it that I knew all these things but nobody on the Redskins could figure it out? Blache is stubborn just like Greg Williams and in addition, Blache is not very smart. He benches Carlos Rogers in place of Fred Smoot?

The Redskins make very poor decisions not only in the admistrative offices but in the coaching departments as well.

Next year when Campbell is gone, and they are saying that Jason just wasn't a good fit for the West Coast offense, I guess I'll have to come here and say the same thing "Funny, but I knew this last summers, etc"

I still say one of the best moves we can do is to put Taylor at OLB and re-sign Evans at a decent price. We'd still need DT, OL, and LBer, 2 of those we can draft high, one we have to get in free agency. We could even opt to try and find another diamond in the rough like Blades in the later rounds to take over for Taylor after this coming season.

How is it that I knew all these things but nobody on the Redskins could figure it out? Blache is stubborn just like Greg Williams and in addition, Blache is not very smart. He benches Carlos Rogers in place of Fred Smoot?

If your going to be Mr. Know-it-all, at least get your facts straight...Carlos wasn't benched for Fred Smoot, he was benched for Shawn Springs...

I agree with Elkabong...I think we should move JT to WLB on 1st and 2nd down in place of Rocky...If healthy JT can blitz, and cover better than Rocky...

Archived