Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: (Monday): Taylor plans to return

Rypien1191

Speaking of Taylor.....I was out on a friends boat this weekend in Ft Lauderdale and we stop at this bar and I see a ton of commotion out front.....look out there.....its Jason Taylor himself with his kids driving his boat. He was just leaving the bar....I yelled at him GO SKINS!! No aknowledgement.....oh well.

The Redskins have discussed ways to better utilize Taylor during their offseason meetings. Taylor is expected to have greater freedom next season, team sources said.

:applause:

I'm glad he's coming back healthy and I think the team realizes that they were trying to put him at a position that he's not a natural fit at.

Ok so now seriously all the draft a DE this year talk stops I would think...If we pick up Haynesworth which I doubt will happen that would solve the Draft a Dtackle talk. This leaves us with two options now IMO Oline and Linebacker. If there is not an instant impact Olineman then I will be severly upset if we pass on an instant impact LB just for the sake of drafting a lineman. I say trade down for more pics get Laurinitis a few spots back and grab an OL...(granted that would be a perfect situation)

8 million for what he did last year is beyond stupid. Jason Taylor isn't even playing in the position he is right for.

8 million dollars for a 34 year old washed up player that can't play the run in our devision makes me angry. God I hate this franchise sometimes :(

8 million dollars would go a hell of a long way to adding a player who could actually stop the run once in a damn while. Jason Taylor sucks and he's going to continue to suck and him being on the field is a damn detriment to the entire Defense. You think he's still got the skills? NO WAY IN HELL.

Signiture bet right now that he never gets 10 sacks next year. Who wants it? Who actually believes that Jason Taylor can get 10 sacks next season. Sign up players, put your praise and money where your mouth is and take the bet. I bet no one wants to, you all know Jason Taylor is a washed up injured player we shouldn't keep around.

Thanks a whole damn lot Vinny for being such an idiot that you never draft Defensive Linemen and you throw 8 million dollars at this washed up player. God our team sucks sometimes

8 million for what he did last year is beyond stupid. Jason Taylor isn't even playing in the position he is right for.

Wait! You can't blame Jason. The man was hurt for most of the year. Thats ridiculous.

8 million dollars for a 34 year old washed up player that can't play the run in our devision makes me angry. God I hate this franchise sometimes :(

Lets be for real!! Did the Skins sign him to stop the run? Come on, dude!

8 million dollars would go a hell of a long way to adding a player who could actually stop the run once in a damn while.

are you serious? The Skins were 8th in the league against the run. What are you talking about!!

Jason Taylor sucks and he's going to continue to suck and him being on the field is a damn detriment to the entire Defense. You think he's still got the skills? NO WAY IN HELL.

Well, if Blache LETS HIM RUSH THE QB!!!! Thats the problem.

Signiture bet right now that he never gets 10 sacks next year. Who wants it? Who actually believes that Jason Taylor can get 10 sacks next season. Sign up players, put your praise and money where your mouth is and take the bet. I bet no one wants to, you all know Jason Taylor is a washed up injured player we shouldn't keep around. .

This has "I don't remember any signature bet" written all over it. LOL!

Thanks a whole damn lot Vinny for being such an idiot that you never draft Defensive Linemen and you throw 8 million dollars at this washed up player. God our team sucks sometimes

So, what keeps you coming around here, if you don't like the team? Defense wasn't the problem last year, pal. Sorry! But if a team averages 16 points a game, they won't go to far.

Suffice it to say that I'm not especially surprised that he's coming back for another season. Teams usually don't give up on players that have eight-plus sack potential.

Hopefully next season the coaches devise a scheme that allows for his talents to flower, as opposed to penalizing him for who he is, athletically, and by forcing him to play in a rigid and inflexible system.

Wait! You can't blame Jason. The man was hurt for most of the year. Thats ridiculous.

I can certainily blame Jason regardless of the injury he had because he can not play the run. I'm going to start another topic regarding this later so we can discuss this there. He's also being asked to play outside of his natural position which he couldn't do. We are seriously making a mistake in my opinion and he will be our #3 player on the next "worst FA signings" most likely. We'd be much better off letting him go or trading him then trying to fit this square into a round hole.

Lets be for real!! Did the Skins sign him to stop the run? Come on, dude!

Nope they signed him to rush the passer....13 games, 3.5 sacks I believe is all he could get. And at the price of being the sole target of every team that ran against us.

Well, if Blache LETS HIM RUSH THE QB!!!! Thats the problem.

Honestly I'm fed up with Greg Blache's approach since he believes that we build from the outside in and the rest of the league thinks it starts with the Defensive Line. If your saying that Blache is also not using Jason Taylor for the reason we brought him in here and paid him 8 freaking millions then you tell me why we don't **** can Greg today? What a stupid waste of money and resources :doh:

This has "I don't remember any signature bet" written all over it. LOL!

I will start a thread on it if you'd like but I like your Sig and don't want to make you remove it but I will if your convinced that either:

1. I'd welsh on a bet (never ever would happen)

2. You think its safe to say he's going to have 10 or more sacks this year (not going to happen)

If either are true buddy book mark this post, we got a bet

So, what keeps you coming around here, if you don't like the team?

Same thing thats kept me with my wife for the past 12 years, I love "her/the team" and nothings ever going to make that change. Just because I say something bad about the direction the teams taking doesn't mean I'm any less of a fan. In my opinion this forums not one for yes men, its one for fans all over the country to talk about the Redskins. Sometimes I praise the team, sometimes I talk bad about them. I'm no less of a fan. I've been a fan of the Skins for over 30 years, never going to live a day in my life when I'm not. I work in Cowboy country and have pictures of Redskin greats all over my cubical. No one's ever going to get me not to be a fan of the team. I get passonate about us because I care so much

Defense wasn't the problem last year, pal. Sorry! But if a team averages 16 points a game, they won't go to far.

You've missed the point. 8 Million this year is going to be spent on a 34 year old washed up player who never will produce enough to warrent that contract. You said it yourself, Defense NOT THE PROBLEM. If its not then let this under achiving player go and use that 8 million and rebuild the damn offensive line so that Jon Jansen never touches the field again, Casey Rachbach can get replaced since he sucks so badly, and we don't have to bring back an old ass Pete Kendall. Use the 8 million bucks on the area of the team that needs it more. Our team with that line will average less points next year unless it finally rebuilds the line

If your going to be Mr. Know-it-all, at least get your facts straight...Carlos wasn't benched for Fred Smoot, he was benched for Shawn Springs...

I agree with Elkabong...I think we should move JT to WLB on 1st and 2nd down in place of Rocky...If healthy JT can blitz, and cover better than Rocky...

This is laughable.

Springs was the #1 corner on the Skins last season. When you are making up the depth chart, Rogers is NOT your starter.....backed up by Springs.

Clearly you do not follow the Redskins.

Hopefully he can play like he did against Philly all year this season. I know his injuries held him back, but well see how it goes, he's definitely a monster player when at full strength, we know that.

That Philly game is the only reason I'm kinda glad he's coming back. We KNOW he can do that in a lot more games. I just hope he can stay healthy this offseason/training camp.

This definitely makes our offseason more interesting. I wonder how FA and the draft are going to be handled, and who we may cut/restructure before the end of the week.

I know! It's exciting, isn't it?:doh: lol......... I'm ready for all the speculation to stop and it be over with myself.

Even JT himself said he wasn't worth 8mil. We should have played some hard ball or tried to renegotiate a little.

He needs to be put in a position to succeed, and if he doesn't he needs to hit the bench.

100% agreed.

The Redskins make very poor decisions not only in the admistrative offices but in the coaching departments as well.

I agree with this as it relates to the Taylor trade; the lot of it smacks of a disconnect between the front office brass and the coaching staff, which is disconcerting, to say the least.

Barring injury, one doesn't get too many surprises in trading for an 11 year veteran of this league; Vinny and company knew exactly what type of a player they were getting in Jason Taylor. To me, the onus should fall on the coaching staff for not appropriately tailoring a system to fit Jason and his talents.

At this stage of his career, he's still more than a capable player, but it's incumbent on the coaching staff to make sure they draw the most from him by allowing and enabling him to do what he does best.

With Greg Blache running the defense, I wouldn't count on it. :doh:

This is what I thought, too. But at the tail-end of this WP piece, Reid reports that the 'Skins plan on allowing Taylor more freedom, which makes sense if we are to improve on our lowly sack totals.

As a whole, I'd like to see a more aggressive approach from the defensive coaches, but likely we'll see a reprise of our '07 defense.

That Philly game is the only reason I'm kinda glad he's coming back. We KNOW he can do that in a lot more games. I just hope he can stay healthy this offseason/training camp.

He actually got the bad injury in one of the first games of the regular season...I want to say it was the Cards game but I'm not 100 percent sure.

The 8 million sucks, but if we let him go then we have 2 holes, at LE and at LOLB. I would be more ticked off if that 8 million keeps us from getting someone good, but if we clear up enough space regrdless then so be it. Both sides, as they've already said, gave a 2 year commitment. What I don't understand is why some of the same people who say JT isn't worth the 8 mill. are saying he should restructure. Restructuring would keep him here longer, which given his age probably isn't a good idea. Even with Taylor playing LDE, and injured, we had a top 10 unit. I think we'd be better served to move Taylor to OLB where marcus was, but we'll see if that happens. Blache wants to give Taylor more freedom next season, so maybe this will be the way he gets it done.

8 million dollars would go a hell of a long way to adding a player who could actually stop the run once in a damn while. Jason Taylor sucks and he's going to continue to suck and him being on the field is a damn detriment to the entire Defense. You think he's still got the skills? NO WAY IN HELL.

Signiture bet right now that he never gets 10 sacks next year. Who wants it? Who actually believes that Jason Taylor can get 10 sacks next season. Sign up players, put your praise and money where your mouth is and take the bet. I bet no one wants to, you all know Jason Taylor is a washed up injured player we shouldn't keep around.

It's real easy and convenient to be able to use hindsight, sit behind your keyboard and call the people who brought Jason Taylor in here names now that he has had a bad season.

But, after Daniels had went down...what (in all your infinite wisdom) would you had done? You've been able to point fingers and call a lot of names, but I have yet to see one alternative solution for Daniels' injury that you would have come up with.

In 2007 Taylor had accured 56 total tackles and 11 sacks. There were no signs that he was washed up. No signs that his game had slipped at all. The only reason that you are calling him washed up now is because he had his first bad season with us.

Now don't get me wrong, I am in no way a Vinny Cerratto fan. But, Vinny was getting a whole lot of props at the beginning of the season, and him jumping all over the Taylor trade was just one of the reasons why.

People are going to most certainly deny giving him props now.:):2cents:

It sounds like the feeling is mutual, with the comments from Vinny and Zorn.

I doubt the thinking was that Taylor was going to be a drop-in replacement for Daniels. To be honest, we weren't going to find that player at that point. What he is is a talented veteran who can help the team, and it is the job of the defensive coaches to figure out how to best use him. Unfortunately, that probably didn't happen last year, partially due to injury and partially due to not having a lot of time to adjust to a late-comer coming into the defense.

So is his second year a mutual option?

I understand your point. I'm just disappointed in the outcome, as many of us are. Hopefully with the second year we will see some improvement - I don't think we'll see enough of a turnaround to warrant the $8 Mil though.

Archived