Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR:Colt Brennan: The Future of the Washington Redskins...Jason Campbell: The Past

Lavarleap56

This whole Colt Brennan crap is really pissing me off. You cant even go on ES anymore without the same idiots spewing crap filled speculation and predictions.

Without speculation and predictions, ES would cease to exist.

Although, I guess the insults would carry it along for a bit...

This whole Colt Brennan crap is really pissing me off. You cant even go on ES anymore without the same idiots spewing crap filled speculation and predictions.

I think the line goes:

"In the Beginning there was Darkness, than ES was created and the first rays of light appeared. Than Colt Brennan was drafted and the sun appeared and fans began to question and predict. Great rumblings were heard and turmoil sprang and threw the ES board into darkness once more."

:silly:

Big Ben won his first SB his 2nd year as the starter. So you think Jason will get his this year then?

The supporting cast of the 'Skins is NOTHING like the supporting cast of the Steelers in 200X when Ben won his first SB. And, in the SB, he had the lowest rating of any winning QB ever. To say that Ben actually won that SB is a joke. The Steelers defense, special teams, and a nifty gadget play in which Ben was not involved won that SB.

Give JC that cast of characters, I don't know if he would have won the SB, but he probably couldn't have played worse.

These Ben vs. JC comments are just plain stupid. Any comparison between the Steelers, the most consistent franchise in professional sports, and the Redskins, one of the most inconsistent franchises in football, is ludicrous. Ben has always had a great supporting cast, a top ranked defense that scores points and gets turnovers to shorten the field, and has played in the same system his entire carear. They didn't need him to play great his first couple years starting. Because there were other ways to win games while he developed.

Forget JC. Name the last Redskins QB who can say that? I'll give you a hint. He wore #11 and played in 1991.

Let's face it... if Gibbs or Williams or Saunders or even Blache or Fassel were the head coach this past year, Campbell would have been benched in favor of Todd Collins. Jason's backing comes from Snyder.

To me, that's a clear delineation between who's right and who's wrong.

I really think people are just being very resistant to the idea that Campbell just might be the best QB in the roster, and THAT'S why he wasn't benched for Collins or Brennan.

Yeah Campbell is just conservative and hesitates on alot of passes because he does not want 2 get intercepted. He said that on one of the ESPN 980 radio shows. I really do not pay attention to fans that have man crushes on Colt because I know they are just basing they're speculations off his success in the off season (even though he was sacked like 8 times in 7 quarters or something crazy like that) and Campbell's conservative play and downfall in the second half of the season.

Our O-coordinator has to be conservative because he does not have a choice. Campbell has to be conservative because the O-coordinator and Zorn calls the conservative plays. They call conservative plays because the O-line is too old and weak to protect a QB that is dabbling in gutsy-down-the-field plays. With the protection and support Jason got from his O-Line, if he did throw the ball, it would be intercepted almost everytime.

So everyone can keep saying that Colt is the answer because he is not. TRENCHES are the answer and everyone else is wrong. If you put Brennan in, you would get a worse result. Campbell had to make smart decisions when his line sabatoged him and let 330 lb beasts break through and charge towards him. Obviously Brennan would have been starting if he was the answer. Vinny and Snyder knew they made horrible mistakes by not investing in the O-line and D-line more last year and now they are trying to make up for it.

All of you Brennan lovers will hop right back on Campbell this year when you see how talented he actually is with a decent O-line in front him. So get off of Campbell's jock and root on the O-line and watch what moves are made there this season. Go RineHArt!!!!!!

He hesitates because he can't find a receiver open which is due to his inaccuracy as a passer, and lack of instinkt, more so than the O-line.

Here's the flaw in that statement, we all saw our offense function properly when JC went down 2 seasons ago and Collins stepped in with the same personnel, against the same team, and move the ball, we also saw the running game start to unveil because of Collins ability to force the defense to respect the pass. Yes the O-coordinator is hamstrung with his play calling but it has less to do with the line, and more to do with the fact that JC just doesn't get it. On one hand all we here is JC needs more time to learn the offense? Well then how is the coordinators fault? On the other it's the line's fault? Yes we do need to rebuild the line, but their not nearly as bad as JC makes them out to be!

How would you know that Colt would be worse, he's proven to be better than JC on every level, and IMO as a rookie he had a better preseason than JC regardless of circumstances, he made the type of throws that we have never seen out of JC, and that is what has people optimistic about Colt, his ability to see a receiver open and make the accurate throw, while JC just holds the ball waiting for broken coverage and hopes he can get the ball close enough for the receiver to make the catch.

How would you know that Colt would be worse' date=' he's proven to be better than JC on every level[/quote']

I was with you until this. I respect counter-arguments to what I believe, but Colt hasn't PROVEN anything that would show he's better than JC on every level.

That's like saying Brett Ratliff proved to be better than Brett Favre on every level for the Jets last year, since he had a better preseason than Favre did.

How would you know that Colt would be worse' date=' he's proven to be better than JC on every level, and IMO as a rookie he had a better preseason than JC regardless of circumstances, he made the type of throws that we have never seen out of JC, and that is what has people optimistic about Colt, his ability to see a receiver open and make the accurate throw, while JC just holds the ball waiting for broken coverage and hopes he can get the ball close enough for the receiver to make the catch.[/quote']

Let's take "every level." Because that's just stupid.

Pop Warner: No statistics to compare. :)

HS: Colt played behind Matt Leinhart, started after he graduated. We can extrapolate that he didn't have a fantastic HS career because he was a walk on at the University of Colorado. I can't find anything about what JC did in HS. But whatever it was, it lead to him being recruited by Auburn.

College: Colt went to Hawaii. Well, ok, in fairness, he did go to the University of Colorado until he got kicked off the team. He set every passing record that exists in NCAA while playing in the run and shoot system at Hawaii, against pretty terrible competition most of the time.

JC went to Auburn, was the starting QB for 4 years. Won 2 bowl games, was the MVP of both of them, as well as the MVP of the SEC Championship game. Auburn went undefeated in the SEC in 2004, JC's senior year.

Ok, as far as stats are concerned, Brennan has the edge. As far as winning at a major college program is concerned, and getting MVP awards in major bowl games, it's not even close.

PRO: Brennan hasn't been active for 1 actual game in the pros, couldn't unseat Todd Collins for the #2 job, let alone compete for the #1. I would grade that as an "incomplete."

If we're comparing pre-seasons, let's just talk about how AWSEOME Danny Woe-full looked in Osaka in 2002 to see how much pre-season actually matters.

None of this is to say that Colt would/would not be better than JC if given the opportunity. Who knows? We'll see. But the comment above was just laughable.

I really think people are just being very resistant to the idea that Campbell just might be the best QB in the roster, and THAT'S why he wasn't benched for Collins or Brennan.
Come on, it's been proven over and over again that teams have very little idea who their best quarterback is until they put them on the field. What were we doing all those years farting around with Gus Frerotte and Heath Shuler when we had Trent Green? Drew Bledsoe was somehow considered the "best quarterback" on teams with Tom Brady and Tony Romo sits to pee. Rob Johnson-Doug Flutie. The list goes on and on.

The fact is, most of the lower-round or undrafted starting quarterbacks in the league had to overcome an incumbent hack at some point in their careers. Why? Because without opportunities to play, their ability can't be fully appreciated. And who gets the opportunities? High-pick, high-investment guys like Campbell. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, but it is a political directive, rather than an objective evaluation of personnel.

Let's take "every level." Because that's just stupid.

None of this is to say that Colt would/would not be better than JC if given the opportunity. Who knows? We'll see. But the comment above was just laughable.

Great post.

Look, Colt may one day work out, but it's also very possible he doesn't. I don't think any Redskins fan doesn't want us to find our franchise answer at QB that we've been missing for years now, but people who are jumping on this Colt bandwagon like he's the automatic sure thing are losing it.

Like Longshot said earlier, he's just the shiny new toy right now, the "X" factor that people are hyping up beyond belief.

Next week on journalists solidify their idiocy...
This guy isn't even a journalist, he's just a blogger.

Michael Wong, from his bio:

http://bleacherreport.com/users/3247-michael-wong

Currently living in and around Baltimore, MD, I am an avid Baltimore Ravens fan. I follow the NFL religiously, other teams that I have loved for years include the Philadelphia Eagles and to a lesser extent the Indianapolis Colts.. although with mixed feelings for the latter. I am an avid fantasy player and have won a number of championships through extensive use of the waiver wire and long-term injury statistical analysis. I also have loved college football for 10+ years, I am a miami hurricanes fan, a maryland terps fan(duh!), a virginia tech hokies fan and a virginia cavaliers fan. I believe fully that the separate NCAA football ranking polls should not begin until at least week 3, there is absolutely no way that teams should be ranked before they have ever played a game in the regular season.

In other news, I am a Washington Wizards fan in the NBA(I know, I know), a believer in the many positives of Andy Roddick in professional tennis and have a quiet and hidden love for arena football when other games are not on television. I spend my days toiling away at a normal 10 hour/day job tracking my fantasy leagues, watching espn sportscenter and watching nfl films classics on the NFL network.

I have been writing and gambling on football games for over 6 years as of July 1st, 2008.

We've already seen what campbell has to offer. Limited accuracy, very slow reads and ball release, gets rattled under presssure and seems to be fragile in his confidence, has a noticably losing record as a starter, despite having a strong defense and running game around him, etc. I'm sick of the "different offenses" excuse. There are a lot of people who produce in a new offensive system, even rookies. Being in a new offense has nothing to do with one's ability to read a defense and deliver an accurate, well-timed pass, which JC seems to be unable to do. 3 years I've given him...my patience is up. Apparently, I'm not the only one who has regrets, as a larger part of this community, as well as the redskins organization itself, has serious reservations about the kid.

We don't know what we have in brennan, so dont write hm off. He's raw for sure, but hs'e shown the ability to be very accurate, throw TD passes, and is a natural "gamer". At least brennan could throw a TD pass in college, as campbell had what, like 40 over his ENTIRE college career? He didnt make many big plays in college, and he isnt making big plays now. Furthermore, the WCO is not suited to campbell whatsoever, and I think is more suited for colts' strengths (quick release, accuracy, etc). I'll give JC 1/2 another season, and if he continues to remain mediocre, which I suspect he will, then dump him and put in collins or brennan and see what they could do.

Comparing JC to Joey Harrington...wow.

Guys let me tell you something. Some articles are fiction, and some are to get a stir and ratings. This is it, this is about creating a stir. This is the media taking advantage of the football-idiots of the fanbase.

Colt Brennan might not even be 2nd string from the look of it so far. So claiming CB is the future is rediculous. Second of all, Jason Campbell has proven, not claimed, not showed glimpses, but has proven that if you give him time he can be a pro bowl quarterback. If you don't believe that you need to open your eyes.

That's just the truth

Second of all, Jason Campbell has proven, not claimed, not showed glimpses, but has proven that if you give him time he can be a pro bowl quarterback. If you don't believe that you need to open your eyes.

That's just the truth

Pro Bowl QB's finish their 1st year starting 2-5.

Pro Bowl QB's finish their 2nd year starting with a 1-5 streak.

Pro Bowl QB's finish their 3rd year starting with a 2-6 streak.

5-16 to end his 3 years as starter on a team that made the playoffs every year he didn't finish the year as the starting QB. Leading your team at a far worse W/L percentage than other QB's on the same team during the same period is the sign of a great QB.

His W/L percentage against teams that finished above .500 are of the charts as well.

If they took out player voting and coaching voting for the Pro Bowl, Dan's marketing machine and the loyalty of the fan base might get him a spot. I even voted for him multiple times last year. Otherwise, JC would have to hope for 5 or 6 NFC QB's to take a pass on the Pro Bowl to earn a spot legitimately.

Were you not watching the games earlier in the year? He was playing and was going to be a pro bowl QB. Then the second half of the year his offensive line shut down and so did he.

Can you honestly tell yourself it was all Jason Campbells fault? Hell, Clinton Portis production dropped down dramatically as well. That's Jasons fault too though so nevermind.

:rolleyes:

Oh and you know as well as I do the '06 team was sh*t and 07 was Jason first full year starting. We just went over what happened in '08.

If the QB sucks, is responsible for line protections, then you stack the box to stop the run and blitz him with different packages to confuse him until he makes you pay.

"Was going to be a Pro Bowl Qb". I think he was also "going to be an astronaut" when he was 8. At this point, he has a better chance with NASA.

5-16 to end his 3 years as starter on a team that made the playoffs every year he didn't finish the year as the starting QB. Leading your team at a far worse W/L percentage than other QB's on the same team during the same period is the sign of a great QB.

His W/L percentage against teams that finished above .500 are of the charts as well.

If they took out player voting and coaching voting for the Pro Bowl, Dan's marketing machine and the loyalty of the fan base might get him a spot. I even voted for him multiple times last year. Otherwise, JC would have to hope for 5 or 6 NFC QB's to take a pass on the Pro Bowl to earn a spot legitimately.

There you go again. Making sense with valid statistics. Dont you know that JC will be God as long as he has X amount of years in X's system, or has Y and Z has his main targets, with an all pro ____ and highly ranked ____ and ____ ? Just a few more games, and you will see it!

So, he's 16-20 in his first 36 starts.

For the record, it took Troy Aikman 40 games to get to 16 wins (on a team with Michael Irvin and Emmit Smith and he was 14-24 in his first 38 starts). Peyton Manning got there in 32 starts. His Dad Archie, a 3 time pro bowler started 5-16-3 and it took him 71 starts to get to 16 wins. I could go on and on of course.

I'm not saying that Campbell is in the ballpark of those players nor am do I agree with the poster who said that Campbell has proven that he can be a pro bowler. But it is every bit as ludicrous to say that he has proven that he cannot be one.

I think it call comes down to one simple fact: Jason Campbell will NEVER be a franchise qb in the NFL, NEVER.

Can he win with all all pro supporting cast? Yes. Almost every qb in the NFL can besides Jake Delhomme.

But right now the franchise, whether Danny Boy likes it or not, is in a state of rebuilding.

So do you guys think it would be easier, to keep Campbell, and get an all pro o-line, a defense that scores points, receivers that are 10 feet tall and never drop passes.

OR.... take advantage of the new rules in the NFL, which give offenses a (qb's in particular) a distinct advantage, and try to find a franchise qb for the team.

-To make my point more clear, in today's NFL, it is far easier to rebuild at team starting with a franchise qb, then it is to have a descent qb and try to build an all-pro team around them.

I have nothing wrong with Campbell, but anyone here who thinks this guy can be a franchise qb, that makes plays on a consistent basis for his team, is drunk on the kool aid. Campbell is a nice, hard working, and physically gifted human being, but he will not be a franchise.

Will Colt be? Who knows, if I had to predict now I'd say probably not, precisely why we need to end this Campbell project sooner than later.

I know many will disagree with my point of view, and claim football all starts and ends in the trenches, which I completely agree with. But in light of recent rule changes, and the general direction football is heading (away from a hard nosed grind it out battle, into a fast paced high-flying passing game). I really believe it would be in the Redskins best wishes, to find a qb, and then build a team around him. Rather than trying to build an all pro o-line/d-line, secondary that scores off turnovers, receivers that run perfect routes and never drop the ball, and a top 5 rb. Especially in the salary cap era, it makes much more sense to have a high paid qb, with role players surrounding him, then to try and and have an all-pro team to pay, and have a role playing qb without a high priced contract. I fear I may have gotten to wordy again, to make my point more clear, it is easier for a team to stay away from cap hell, if you have a franchise qb, because you don't have to pay for all pro-lines, premier WR's, and a top 5 rb.

So, he's 16-20 in his first 36 starts.

For the record, it took Troy Aikman 40 games to get to 16 wins (on a team with Michael Irvin and Emmit Smith and he was 14-24 in his first 38 starts). Peyton Manning got there in 32 starts. His Dad Archie, a 3 time pro bowler started 5-16-3 and it took him 71 starts to get to 16 wins. I could go on and on of course.

I'm not saying that Campbell is in the ballpark of those players nor am do I agree with the poster who said that Campbell has proven that he can be a pro bowler. But it is every bit as ludicrous to say that he has proven that he cannot be one.

Aikman was drafted by a 3-13 team. Peyton was also drafted by a 3-13 team. Archie was drafted by a 2-11-1 team.

Since JC has been a Redskin, the Skins have made the playoffs every year he was not the starting QB at the end of the season.

JC is only 16-20 if you count the Bears game. Even if you give him that one, he is 5-10 against teams that finished above .500 in his career. The Skins are

9-8 against teams above .500 when he doesn't start since he's been on the team.

Also since he has been on the team, the Skins are 16-12 overall when he is not the starter, 16-20 when he is (throwing him a bone for the Bears game).

A winning team when he sits, a losing team when he starts. He brings the team's level of play down. That is not what Pro Bowl players do.

Archived