Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

BR:Colt Brennan: The Future of the Washington Redskins...Jason Campbell: The Past

Lavarleap56

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/127468-washington-redskins-colt-brennan-is-the-future-jason-campbell-the-past

It's easy to say that Jason Campbell should be the past and that Colt Brennan should be the future of the Washington Redskins' organization—really it is. That's just the way it is with us fans, the media, and even some of the NFL management.

That's the problem though; we far too often aren't given the total story and are forced to make our own opinions and decisions based on 50 percent of the total information or less.

Normally, I would disagree that it is the QB's fault; I usually would preach to the choir about how we as NFL fans should break the mold and actually give players a few years to adjust to their surroundings, before we unfairly or fairly demand that they become the stars that we drafted or signed them to be.

Not this time.

Campbell has had many chances to prove his worth as a professional QB over the last couple of years—regardless of the situation with the head coach or the offensive system. Every quarterback in the NFL today has to learn to cope and deal with problems regarding personnel turnover.

Like Joey Harrington in Detroit, neither of them had a chance to play in an optimum environment. That is to say neither of them had much of a chance to have success.

I don't buy into the thought process that says you absolutely need to have a great offensive line, key players at skill positions, and a dynamic and creative head coach at the helm to succeed.

Tom Brady didn't have a lot to go on when he won his first Super Bowl as a New England Patriot. Look at the Patriot teams before he was under center.

Sure they had Mike Vrabel, Tedy Bruschi, Ty Law, and Richard Seymour, but the success was minor while Drew Bledsoe was under center. A good or great quarterback—without a doubt—increases his team's chances for success 100 fold.

It can make an average offense become a great offense, just look at Brady's numbers over the past nine seasons. It can even make an aging and injury-ridden defense look dominant.

Players have something to play for and realize that if and when they make a mistake, their QB, the leader of the team and locker room, will be able to overcome these mistakes and put points on the board when it counts the most.

:40oz::munchout:

I find it peculiar that the article mentions nothing about Colt Brennan's ability to do be more successful than JC has.

...All I know is that it is probably going to be an awkward show come mid-season next year, assuming JC is still at the helm and assuming that we are still the same mediocre team.

All of these Anti/Pro JC threads are starting to look the same anyway. Could you imagine if the QB of the redskins wasn't even an issue?...

There will always be an excuse for JC, it's impossible for some to comprehend he's just plain and simple a lousy QB. He had 1 quality year in the last 8 seasons, and why? Because he was on an over whelming team [talent wise] his senior year at Auburn, receivers do not get that wide open in the pro's because there are not those type of mismatches at the pro level as there are at the college level. A QB has to work much harder, and be much smarter to find the open receiver, he then has to be very accurate because the receiver that is open doesn't have the cushion he had in college, and the cushion he does have closes much faster. Couple all that with JC's Dizzy Dean type wind up before he throws, and there you have it a recipe for failure. Lets face it the guy can't even make a decent throw 10 yds away, how many times do we see a WR screen with the WR having to either turn back for the ball, jump for it, or both?

Whether or not Colt is the real deal remains to be proven, but one thing that has been proven is JC is not, we have wasted 4 years trying to prove to the world Gibbs had a clue when he drafted him, what's one more failed season?

I posted it cause maybe some might find it entertaining, the hawaii crowd will like it. Extremeskins is all about diversity. I posted the article and source but didnt say if i agreed or disagreed on JC or CB.

I'm guessing your source told you that JC has lost the locker room and that the guys want to see CB get a shot? :silly:

Well, that's what I'm hoping any way :D

Besides, just as McD5 can post 87 threads aboue Betts over Portis, and Brandon lloyd Xmas can post 143 threads about "we suck", LL56 certainly can post about the QB situation with a new article as his base for discusssion. :)

You know, last year I told myself to remember what I told myself the year before :D ---that I would not pull another "Ramsey" and try to delude myself that we finally had a Redskin QB that was the answer when they weren't. I loved Pat and got my hopes all up and my denial was strong for awhile. I usually have little appreciation of denial as a coping mechanism.

So last year I said "this is Campbell's last year with me, no excuses." I really like the guy, think he has some very good tools, and for the first half of the year I thought "thank you!" Then, I'll be damned if not only did it go into the toilet, but it did so in a multi-faceted complicated way that left me with no clear-cut objective decision on JC.

But I kept reminding myself I had promised to come to a conclusion and move on either way. Obviously, what I think only affects the Redskins' decisions somewhat :silly: and not totally. But even with the mixed analysis of last years issues, I have decided JC isn't going to be the guy. It's not "all his fault", but that doesn't matter. He just isn't good enough in enough ways to carry this team maninly on his own back other than briefly and rarely.

And that is the one thing we need in a QB more than anthing else--someone who can make it happen mainly on their own talent and instincts when you need it, and do so on a semi-regular basis, at least. That's not Jason, IMO.

We will go into next year with him at #1 and obviously I will hope and root for the best, and pray that I have it wrong.

<edit--forgot to add---Zorn has said he will look hard at Colt. I think the guy is very rough, but hope he gets serious time with the first string in pre-season. If we look lukewarm at the position during the season, I would love to see him in some real game situations.

But I kept reminding myself I had promised to come to a conclusion and move on either way. Obviously, what I think only affects the Redskins' decisions somewhat :silly: and not totally. But even with the mixed analysis of last years issues, I have decided JC isn't going to be the guy. It's not "all his fault", but that doesn't matter. He just isn't good enough in enough ways to carry this team maninly on his own back other than briefly and rarely.

And that is the one thing we need in a QB more than anthing else--someone who can make it happen mainly on their own talent and instincts when you need it, and do so on a semi-regular basis, at least. That's not Jason, IMO.

One thing that Roethlesburger and Eli Manning proved in the last couple of years that you don't have to have your QB make all the plays, just enough of the plays. While Campbell may never be great, he probably can be pretty good. Course, we are getting to the end of the line for him to prove it here, and apparently the Skins feel likewise.

I know it is in vogue to look at Brennan as the next savior, but right now he's just the new shiny toy that hasn't lost its sheen. At one time a lot of us felt the same about Ramsey and Campbell.

It really irritates me when people try to criticize Brennan because of the college offense he played in, so I'd like to follow up on this quote from the first poster of the Bleacher article discussion who is influenced by Jaws just a little too much:

"Colt’s numbers in college are seriously inflated by June Jones high octane offense that he ran. If you pass every down then your numbers can only go up."

Here's what gets me ~

This is a fact. With 8 years of both college and NFL careers combined, Campbell has 347 more pass attempts than Brennan has. Although he has 347 more pass attempts than Brennan, he has 51 less TD passes than Brennan does.

Brennan sells himself ~ You following me camera guy?

It really irritates me when people try to criticize Brennan because of the college offense he played in, so I'd like to follow up on this quote from the first poster of the Bleacher article discussion who is influenced by Jaws just a little too much:

"Colt’s numbers in college are seriously inflated by June Jones high octane offense that he ran. If you pass every down then your numbers can only go up."

Here's what gets me ~

This is a fact. With 8 years of both college and NFL careers combined, Campbell has 347 more pass attempts than Brennan has. Although he has 347 more pass attempts than Brennan, he has 51 less TD passes than Brennan does.

Brennan sells himself ~ You following me camera guy?

You still didn't account for the fact that he played in an offense where his numbers got inflated. :)

So he threw 51 more TDs? What does that mean in NFL terms? Squat. Because college and NFL are not the same thing, regardless of what people want to say.

Do I want Brennan to succeed? Sure. I want Campbell to as well, because they are both Redskin QBs. That being said, what Brennan's statistics were in college means diddly. Same with Campbell's.

You still didn't account for the fact that he played in an offense where his numbers got inflated. :)

So he threw 51 more TDs? What does that mean in NFL terms? Squat. Because college and NFL are not the same thing, regardless of what people want to say.

Do I want Brennan to succeed? Sure. I want Campbell to as well, because they are both Redskin QBs. That being said, what Brennan's statistics were in college means diddly. Same with Campbell's.

It's hard to inflate 70% completion.

It's hard to inflate 70% completion.

I'm sure it is. And I'm not trying to discount Colt Brennan's skills in any way. I'm just saying college production and NFL production don't necessarily go hand in hand. Plenty of college QBs with great stats don't transition well to the NFL. Will Colt be there? I hope not. Could he? Yes, he definitely could.

I'm sure it is. And I'm not trying to discount Colt Brennan's skills in any way. I'm just saying college production and NFL production don't necessarily go hand in hand. Plenty of college QBs with great stats don't transition well to the NFL. Will Colt be there? I hope not. Could he? Yes, he definitely could.

Some things like accuracy can't be ignored regardless of what level you are playing football. Either you have it or you don't. ;)

Why did you have to post this? We don't have enough idiotic CB should start threads?

Whoever wrote this is probably a 19 year old kid who goes to Hawaii and has never watched a professional football game.

Brennan behind our O-line with our WRs last year = 2-14.

I agree we didn't need a rehashing of the same old Campbell material but for Gawds sakes do we always have to have a someone come in here and start throwing name calling around like IDIOT or retard or whatever. These name calling members need to be called EX-MEMBERS.

Sounds like the name caller is the 19 year old.

What's wrong with the article? Dude is the QB of the Redskins and everybody gives him a pass for a bad day. What's he making, oh I don't know 4mil a year. He needs to perform. Think if you were standing facing him and you're a warehouse worker busting your ass every day and looking for all the overtime you can get to make ends meet vs. this guy that goes out and plays a game and makes in one year what you'll make total in a lifetime and says "well we were one play short" He's getting payed millions of dollars and getting a free pass to suck. He needs to perform and it needs to happen now or he can get fired and work a real job. Sorry I went away for a moment but I'm serious, if he can't get it done GET SOMEONE ELSE . No more time left with this guy! No more rope! He should be gone if he doesn't get us to the SB NOW.<yes I like long paragraphs>:cheers:

I know it is in vogue to look at Brennan as the next savior, but right now he's just the new shiny toy that hasn't lost its sheen. At one time a lot of us felt the same about Ramsey and Campbell.

This is a strong point. Remember the Brunell vs. Ramsey debates? Good ole days;).

:cheers:

One thing that Roethlesburger and Eli Manning proved in the last couple of years that you don't have to have your QB make all the plays, just enough of the plays. While Campbell may never be great, he probably can be pretty good. Course, we are getting to the end of the line for him to prove it here, and apparently the Skins feel likewise.

First, despite all the flak Eli gets here, some of it well merited, he's shown a level of play to me at times that I have never seen from Campbell. And I'm talking about play on the field (and IMO) not statistics. Same with Ben, and each in different ways. Additonally, my remarks about needing a QB to be able to be "carrying the team" fairly often were made after thinking of teams like the Giants and Steelers who have such strong supporting team units and more than one genuine star players that the QB does have more rope than ours does to be less than stellar. We don't have those qualities over the course of a whole year and deep into the play-offs, and haven't for a long time.

Over recent years, we've had a very good defense at times, often statistically, but also one that regularly gives up big plays at the worst times and does not "carry" us deep into the play-offs, or even get us there half the time mainly on their back.

We have an impressive running game that does carry the team for some parts of each year. We have a star RB and TE. But neither really has the big-play game-winning "carry" us aspect either, other than irregularly. Again, I'm not talking statistics.

This is all part of why a Redskins QB will have to do more to win than a Giants QB or a Steelers QB over the last couple years, forgetting the fact the I will not buy an argument that JC is as good at this point as Eli or Ben, overall. I would take either one of them in a heartbeat over JC. Sorry, guys (especially mi amigo, bubba). That's just my take.

I hope I am wrong, but I think Campbell hit the end of his usefulness last year, not that this opinuion matters since he'll be back as the starting QB and I will be pulling to be looking like I didn't know what I was talking about (not the first time). My hope will be an improved rookie receiving corps, some evolving OL back-ups, and a lot of luck health-wise, will help JC.

And just to clarify, I'm no CB groupie, he's just what we got to work with (I sort of ignore TC which may be wrong). Based on what I have seen/learned, he may have those intangibles that can make him "that guy", but otherwise is very raw and hasn't proven much of anything yet. Since he's the only other (sorry TC) horse in the race right now to run as a potential Redskins leader for a few years, that's why I want to see him get a shot if we struggle at the position.

If it unfolds in such manner, I don't want to just "stick with JC" through another series of tough times that "aren't all his fault."

I'd rather use a few games to see what we have in CB, unless he shows he's not even ready for that level next season, which would be sad.

Michael Wong: That's the problem though; we far too often aren't given the total story and are forced to make our own opinions and decisions based on 50 percent of the total information or less.

To this point, the only solid evidence on Colt Brennan is that 31 NFL teams passed him through to the sixth round. But the author has decided that Colt = Schaub based on his own judgment.

I don't buy into the thought process that says you absolutely need to have a great offensive line, key players at skill positions, and a dynamic and creative head coach at the helm to succeed...Tom Brady didn't have a lot to go on when he won his first Super Bowl as a New England Patriot. Look at the Patriot teams before he was under center.

Matt Cassel won 11 games last season; one less than Brady averaged with that dull coach and uninteresting supporting cast.

Suffice it to say, just like the Falcons, the Redskins are holding a very good QB hostage. If they don't give him a shot within the next two to three seasons at the most, I am certain someone else will.

The author could be right, but he doesn't make a strong argument for it.

Archived