Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wireless Routers

ccsl2

So my wife and I are expecting a little one in September of 2009, and she has been ordered by her Dr. to be on bed rest for the entire pregnancy due to previous miscarriages. She will be ale to work from home and has a laptop, so I am looking into a wireless router for the house. We already have DSL.

Any wireless routers that are good to look at? And are there any things I need to pay attention to or look at before buying a wireless router? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

If you need someone to set it up and make sure encryption is used hit me up :)

You don't want to use any credit cards online, check your bank statements, or do anything else personal with making certain that its secure.

I have the linksys as well. If you're going to get a new router you may as well go with the fastest speed possible and get a new network card that can handle it as well.

Same price as above, but faster download speeds

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8305568&st=wireless+router&type=product&id=1173577562535

if you wanted to stay with Linksys (good company - bought by Cisco)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8639967&st=sireless+router+N&type=product&id=1194054018722

I agree make sure either you secure your network or have someone who knows what they are doing secure it. Its really not hard to do but make sure it is done. Other than that, any high speed router is probably good although I use linksys and so most people I know. Not one problem and mine is a hand me down.

I have a free wireless B router you can have for the price of shipping if you want it. I just bought a wireless g+ at walmart for $60. The wireless B doesn't have as much range or encryption as the G series. There is also an N series out now which is marginally better than the G+.

Nice offer. Unless of course you supply him with the encryption key to input into his setup. :D

I use to do pen testing on the side and I have a clearance with the Gov so it wouldn't be wise of me to 'hack' into someone's home network. Not to mention pretty boring :)

Just putting some feelers out there that I am damn good at securing home computers, networks, servers, businesses, etc...

So if anyone has the need for that sort of thing... :)

And GibbsFactor, nice find on that router. That's the on I would purchase as well.

The router I bought at Walmart was a Balkin G+.

The router is great so far. The support for the problems I had setting it up sucked. I was used to XP and was having problems setting it up such that it could be used by both my old XP computer and my new Vista computer. After an hour, I realized I had violated my customer service rule of hanging up if the person has had you on the phone for more than 20min and keeps repeating steps.

I hung up and jsut kept working on it myself until I found the screens I was looking for to put in an encryption for my pass code.

I have had the linksys WRT54G for a long while (well over a year) and while it will have to be replaced in the next 6 months because its starting to flake out, it has done a solid job for about 2 years atleast.

Just make sure whatever router you get, you get its accompanying network card for the computer. (If it is a G router, get a Wireless G card.) Although, if your wife is using a laptop, it may already have wireless onboard, so you may want to consider saving the cost of buying a card and just use that.

So my wife and I are expecting a little one in September of 2009, and she has been ordered by her Dr. to be on bed rest for the entire pregnancy due to previous miscarriages. She will be ale to work from home and has a laptop, so I am looking into a wireless router for the house. We already have DSL.

Any wireless routers that are good to look at? And are there any things I need to pay attention to or look at before buying a wireless router? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hey man, i live in Waldorf as well, if you need any cat5 ran, i know how to fish walls and dont charge much, i can also put the ends on cat5 cables too :) But if you want to go entirely wireless look at the new "N" routers, the range is better, so if you have a house thats over say 1800sq feet, the N will cover your signal a little farther than G router. P.S. i know to to set up encryption too lol

Hey man, i live in Waldorf as well, if you need any cat5 ran, i know how to fish walls and dont charge much, i can also put the ends on cat5 cables too :) But if you want to go entirely wireless look at the new "N" routers, the range is better, so if you have a house thats over say 1800sq feet, the N will cover your signal a little farther than G router. P.S. i know to to set up encryption too lol

Hey Dave, want to start up a small computer shop with me ? :D

Cat5?? I have no electrical wiring expertise at all so you gotta explain that to me. But I am going wireless router route for this. The dr. is being very cautious. He doesn't even want her working from out home computer.

My townhouse is about 1650 sq ft.

So my wife and I are expecting a little one in September of 2009, and she has been ordered by her Dr. to be on bed rest for the entire pregnancy due to previous miscarriages.

Congratulations man and best of luck to you both. My wife had a miscarriage a few months ago- she is pregnant again though and due in July. Keep after it! :cheers:

BTW- I have a Linksys router and I've been happy with it

Congratulations man and best of luck to you both. My wife had a miscarriage a few months ago- she is pregnant again though and due in July. Keep after it! :cheers:

BTW- I have a Linksys router and I've been happy with it

Thanks Zoony! It will be nerve racking, but I am staying positive about it. :cheers:

Cat5?? I have no electrical wiring expertise at all so you gotta explain that to me. But I am going wireless router route for this. The dr. is being very cautious. He doesn't even want her working from out home computer.

My townhouse is about 1650 sq ft.

Cat5 is network cable. The cable that's a bit thicker then a phone cable (cat3). But you want Cat6 today because it's going to support 10GBASE-T.(10 GB)

You get what you pay for. If you go with the linksys it would behoove you to update the firmware when you get it. It isn't hard. But that's really all you need. You can get them pretty cheap, even cheaper if you go to a computer show.

They all come with setup CDs that have wizards to step you through the process. Just put some sort of encryption on it when you get it.

Cat5 is network cable. The cable that's a bit thicker then a phone cable (cat3). But you want Cat6 today because it's going to support 10GBASE-T.(10 GB)

You get what you pay for. If you go with the linksys it would behoove you to update the firmware when you get it. It isn't hard. But that's really all you need. You can get them pretty cheap, even cheaper if you go to a computer show.

They all come with setup CDs that have wizards to step you through the process. Just put some sort of encryption on it when you get it.

Good info. Good looking out GF :cheers:

Archived