Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wireless Routers

ccsl2

I have a WRT54G and a WRT54GL which I turned into a wireless bridge for my xbox & dvr. For a standard home setup the WRT54G is a fine router that is cheap. I like the GL because it has more memory and you can install several open source replacement firmwares. But that's overkill unless you have a specific need, like I did (wireless bridge).

Note, some version of the WRT54G (well you'll likely find a WRT54GS now) can have the same open source firmware installed on it.

Good info. Good looking out GF :cheers:

He mentioned computer shows... http://www.marketproshows.com/computershows/showschedule.php

Its behind the safeway near the wawa on 228 in the capital club house every now and then ;) They have like $2 off coupons you can print out on admission or something, search the site.

not till march 28th in Waldorf tho :(

Bowie next weekend though, its not far. Since you are going wireless for sure then you dont need me :)

Guys just wanted to give an update. I picked up the Linksys WRT310N (N Ultra Range Plus) wireless router from BestBuy.

It kicks butt! Now the wife can sit in the bed and use the laptop, and I can use my Ipod Touch in the house now.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. Much appreciated. :cheers:

Guys just wanted to give an update. I picked up the Linksys WRT310N (N Ultra Range Plus) wireless router from BestBuy.

It kicks butt! Now the wife can sit in the bed and use the laptop, and I can use my Ipod Touch in the house now.

Good choice. The 54GL's are old school now. Wireless N works better with G than G works with G.

So my wife and I are expecting a little one in September of 2009, and she has been ordered by her Dr. to be on bed rest for the entire pregnancy due to previous miscarriages. She will be ale to work from home and has a laptop, so I am looking into a wireless router for the house. We already have DSL.

Any wireless routers that are good to look at? And are there any things I need to pay attention to or look at before buying a wireless router? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Studies show that wireless routers can mess with a pregnant woman's hormone levels and make her more ****y than usual.

• 4 months later...

Any new opinions on the topic of this thread? I'm in the market for a new router - I've always had Netgear routers and been pretty happy with them but the N routers for them don't seem to have as good reviews as some other brands.

I see the Belkin N+ router has pretty good reviews - just wondering if anyone had new advice.

Thanks.

Thanks USS I appreciate it. I will be a nervous wreck for the 9 months but it will be well worth it.

Only 9 months?:)

Just me I have 3 kids I'm still nervous.:D

One step at a time.

Glad to hear about a kid.Skins fan all the way.

If not ban the wife.:D

Back to your question,I also like the Linksys WRT54G .

Any new opinions on the topic of this thread? I'm in the market for a new router - I've always had Netgear routers and been pretty happy with them but the N routers for them don't seem to have as good reviews as some other brands.

I see the Belkin N+ router has pretty good reviews - just wondering if anyone had new advice.

Thanks.

Do your PCs have N cards in them? If not a n-router won't give an increase in range over the G or B.

So my wife and I are expecting a little one in September of 2009, and she has been ordered by her Dr. to be on bed rest for the entire pregnancy due to previous miscarriages. She will be ale to work from home and has a laptop, so I am looking into a wireless router for the house. We already have DSL.

Any wireless routers that are good to look at? And are there any things I need to pay attention to or look at before buying a wireless router? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Linksys wireless N for the win......

That's the exact model I have. ****ing awesome router, easy set-up and the range is fantastic.

for the most secure connection use WPA2 encryption and don't broadcast your SSID.

It will show up on wireless connections as unamed network. To be able to connect you have to first enter the name of the router (the one you gave it) and then the password. its pretty damn secure.

Archived