Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reckless Driving....88 in a 55 (fairfax county) calibration update page 5

skins84

No way a judge buys that. On an occasion that I was in court, I heard a guy tell the judge that he thought he was only ten over, not twenty. The judge told him it was still speeding, too ****ing bad. Paraphrasing, but you get the picture. MAYBE the judge could throw out the reckless driving, but that is best case and there will still be at least a hefty fine.

i agree, no way in heck is a judge going to let her off. but her goal should be to get the reckless talked down to a speeding. huge difference in fine and consequences.

BTW, isn't re-calibrating the speedo the first thing you should do when you get retarded-sized rims? :doh:

yeah, but it apparently wasn't her car, which is going to work in her favor (hopefully).

No way a judge buys that. On an occasion that I was in court, I heard a guy tell the judge that he thought he was only ten over, not twenty. The judge told him it was still speeding, too ****ing bad. Paraphrasing, but you get the picture. MAYBE the judge could throw out the reckless driving, but that is best case and there will still be at least a hefty fine.

BTW, isn't re-calibrating the speedo the first thing you should do when you get retarded-sized rims? :doh:

that's the point though, you definitely want that reckless charge removed. A reckless charge is considered a felony (at least in TN) whereas speeidng is just a misdemeanor.

Basiclaly, you don't want to just pay the reckless fine and have it placed on your record. I dunno what your gf plans on doing career wise, but a felony always has to be reported. Think especially for government related jobs or any other job that does an intense background check (like applying for a state bar for me), they want everything, including moving violations and a felony charge would not be good.

Long story short, do the calibration and get an attorney, don't take chances. The few hundred they will cost is worth it in the long run to get away from that reckless charge.

I hate the speed laws in this country. Not to say that there shouldn't be any, but they are way too low and strict. The other night I was going 80 on the 405 freeway(which is a 65 limit) at midnight with no one on the road. Got a ticket. There needs to be leniency for the love of God, I wanted to choke out the officer who gave it to me. I was like, "really?!"

As for your girlfriend, I would'nt sweat it too much. She might have to do like a two month class and then she'll get her license back. Her clean record should help too. A lawyer would help. No biggie to be honest in my opinion.

Reckless driving is a misdemeanor, not a felony.

Did he win? BTW, I think it's entrapment big-time when cops entice people into racing with their unmarked cars. :2cents:

I don't know....he drove an '03 GTI Limited Edition at the time...this was about 4 years ago or so. I told him he was an idiot. He used to race with me in the car with him, I would get soooooo pissed. And yeah, he thought it was entrapment,too, but he should have known better than to race at all. Street racing is incredibly stupid. He deserved what he got.

I'm sorry, but there is no excuse for driving that fast. At all.

I used to drive over 100 to and from JMU when I was in college on 66 and 81. I was an idiot. Now I rarely go over 80...but California's speeds are higher, and everyone goes 80, so it's just so I can keep up with traffic.

I hate the speed laws in this country. Not to say that there shouldn't be any, but they are way too low and strict. The other night I was going 80 on the 405 freeway(which is a 65 limit) at midnight with no one on the road. Got a ticket. There needs to be leniency for the love of God, I wanted to choke out the officer who gave it to me. I was like, "really?!"

counties and states have grown dependent on that income. most tickets are given to people operating their vehicles in a completely safe manner. going 80 on a deserted highway is no less safe than going 55.

to be fair, when it's late at night, i think cops pull over speeders in an attempt to troll for drunks on the road. that's at least understandable. but once they determine i'm sober, i wish they'd let me be on my way without the customary tax.

As for your girlfriend, I would'nt sweat it too much. She might have to do like a two month class and then she'll get her license back. Her clean record should help too. A lawyer would help. No biggie to be honest in my opinion.

Reckless driving is a misdemeanor, not a felony.

Yeah i'm sure it wasn't a felony, lol. But yeah we're gonna get a lawyer, she's one of those types who freak out about every little thing so we would rather be safe than sorry.

^Word, a lawyer will give you the best chance. Sadly that's just how it is. I only said it wasn't a felony because the guy above me(Mr. S) was talking about having a clean record for jobs and said it was a felony. I just wanted to clarify. Best of luck.

counties and states have grown dependent on that income. most tickets are given to people operating their vehicles in a completely safe manner. going 80 on a deserted highway is no less safe than going 55.

to be fair, when it's late at night, i think cops pull over speeders in an attempt to troll for drunks on the road. that's at least understandable. but once they determine i'm sober, i wish they'd let me be on my way without the customary tax.

I hear that. It is so maddening, because they target people, so the leniency that I was talking about goes right out the window. I don't have $250 to blow on a damn ticket, I don't care how poor California is(which can't be that poor). It's the same thing with street sweeping and things like that. The City of Lawndale, where I live, sweeps the street twice a week. They really don't need to do that, there isn't garbage strewn everywhere. Consequently it makes parking a tremendous hassle on Tuesday and Wednesday nights. I've gotten more than a few because I forget. :mad:

my uncle who is a lawyer and lives in Fairfax Co. says that he's seen a judge give a night in jail for every mile over 75! Ouch. Maybe your gf can learn some new skillz in jail. 2 weeks in jail would break her.

what??

I heard that it was every mile over 90 is a night in jail. I'm pretty sure that was just an isolated incident.

first: 88 in a 55 in fairfax is big trouble. she is probably going to lose her license.

second: i've repeatedly heard that speedometer calibration is not an acceptable excuse anymore. HOWEVER, if she is on 22" rims (on a car that likely was calibrated for 17" rims) that would account for a significant difference in speed.

the difference in circumference between a 17" wheel and a 22" wheel is 19.5%, meaning she was actually traveling 19.5% faster than the speedometer was displaying. so if she was going 88mph then her speedometer would have only been registering about 73.5mph. that is still speeding, but it is less than 20mph over the limit, so it would not be reckless. and there is a huge difference between reckless and speeding.

i don't know if a judge would buy that or not, but the math is true. good luck!

Not sure if your math is correct. Rim size and tire size are two different things. He probably has low profile tires making the overall size of the wheel and tire around the same as stock or just a little larger.

Either way, save your money on the calibration, throw yourself at the mercy of the court and pay the fine. Judges are leinent on first time offenses.

Did he win? BTW, I think it's entrapment big-time when cops entice people into racing with their unmarked cars. :2cents:
I don't know....he drove an '03 GTI Limited Edition at the time...this was about 4 years ago or so.

He got dusted. A 4th gen Camaro vs. a VW GTI = go home and cry in your pillow, farvegnugen.

what??

I heard that it was every mile over 90 is a night in jail. I'm pretty sure that was just an isolated incident.

They are all isolated incidents. I'm sure the person was in court for their 3rd or 4th offense and the judge was trying to teach a lesson.

Although she was going pretty fast I don't see them doing anything besides hitting her with a fine, maybe a 30 day ban on the license (they usually always give restricted so you can go to-from work), and the points on her license.

If I were her I would be more worried about how her insurance co is going to take her to the cleaners. You think the county is bad, the insurance is downright criminal in my mind.

Not sure if your math is correct. Rim size and tire size are two different things. He probably has low profile tires making the overall size of the wheel and tire around the same as stock or just a little larger.

Either way, save your money on the calibration, throw yourself at the mercy of the court and pay the fine. Judges are leinent on first time offenses.

Get the calibration, it'll save you from a repeat. Either that or ditch the aftermarket bling.

If I were her I would be more worried about how her insurance co is going to take her to the cleaners. You think the county is bad, the insurance is downright criminal in my mind.

I haven't had a ticket for a few years and I think my insurance is high enough to be criminal. Not my fault those companies aren't smart enough to prevent insurance fraud. Instead they pass the cost on to the consumer. Lazy.

I haven't had a ticket for a few years and I think my insurance is high enough to be criminal. Not my fault those companies aren't smart enough to prevent insurance fraud. Instead they pass the cost on to the consumer. Lazy.

Insurance companies are America's largest fraud. They take your money and invest it, meanwhile you get nothing in return if they make profit. You get no money back for years without accidents and if you get into an accident or even a speeding ticket they jack up your rates.

Oh well, I should stop complaining about it since I'm not going to do crap about it. That reminds me, I need to pay my insurance bill.

I got a 90 in a 65 a few years ago. Actually over 10 years ago now. I went to one of those Saturday/Sunday "Driver Improvement" courses where they send all the DUI's. I also had a lawyer represent me in court. Whole thing cost about 600. A lot of insurance companies will drop you for reckless driving...they view it as a plea down for DUI...which it often is.

Insurance companies are America's largest fraud. They take your money and invest it, meanwhile you get nothing in return if they make profit. You get no money back for years without accidents and if you get into an accident or even a speeding ticket they jack up your rates.

Oh well, I should stop complaining about it since I'm not going to do crap about it. That reminds me, I need to pay my insurance bill.

And then the best part of that is that they lobbied for and got laws passed requiring everyone to use their product. We're in good hands, alright. :rolleyes:

Not that I'm cool with people driving around with no insurance, but it offends my sense of freedom to be told by the government to do anything. Speed limits piss me off, too; the way they are enforced pisses me off even more.

USAA typically refunds a percentage of your auto insurance premium annually...

:cheers:

Archived