Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reckless Driving....88 in a 55 (fairfax county) calibration update page 5

skins84

i want to give praise where its due...

the first response should have ended this thread lol

I know right ... hahaha

I'm gonna be an SOB on this one ... I think people who engage in reckless driving (without an emergency) should HAVE THE HAMMER DROPPED ON THEM.

Your girlfriend put a lot of people's lives at risk.

I have an 06 m45 and if you know cars, you know the M45 is an F'ing rocket ship, so it is not like I'm a saint, but my record is spotless cause I'm pretty cautious when it comes to driving fast.

Insurance companies are America's largest fraud. They take your money and invest it, meanwhile you get nothing in return if they make profit. You get no money back for years without accidents and if you get into an accident or even a speeding ticket they jack up your rates.

I just need to give the opposite side of the story here... up until this year I was with Geico for 6 years. I had a guy hit me and leave the scene and 2 speeding tix and a couple of moving violations in those 6 years and they didn't raise my rates.

The only reason I left is that I found an insurance company that was rated higher by Consumer Reports and I was saving close to $700 (same coverages).

USAA typically refunds a percentage of your auto insurance premium annually...

:cheers:

I have USAA. I got $45.

29 yrs old, not one accident, not one ticket since 2003. I paid them over 10k from 2003-2008 in bullcrap liability because of a DUI.

They are nice enough to put a little change in your pocket but since I have never filed a claim in the 12 yrs I have been a member, so threfore have about 30k+ invested in them, they can take the $45 and shove it.

I'm not a fan of insurance. USAA is nice, the people are good to you when you call which is why I never tried to go cheap on it when I got busted for the DUI like an idiot. They are good with homeowners insurance too, not much as a hassle there either.

I just need to give the opposite side of the story here... up until this year I was with Geico for 6 years. I had a guy hit me and leave the scene and 2 speeding tix and a couple of moving violations in those 6 years and they didn't raise my rates.

The only reason I left is that I found an insurance company that was rated higher by Consumer Reports and I was saving close to $700 (same coverages).

My fiancee has Geico, after we get hitched I am going to compare rates. Something tells me I'll stay with USAA, but I will still check.

I know right ... hahaha

I'm gonna be an SOB on this one ... I think people who engage in reckless driving (without an emergency) should HAVE THE HAMMER DROPPED ON THEM.

I have an 06 m45 and if you know cars, you know the M45 is an F'ing rocket ship, so it is not like I'm a saint, but my record is spotless cause I'm pretty cautious when it comes to driving fast.

Thanks for the input...

I know right ... hahaha

The last time I drove over the century mark, my wife was having bad pains and thought it might be premature labor or a miscarriage or something. Turned out to be a minor kidney ailment, but still. I ended up doing 130+ on the Baltimore beltway. I hear what you're saying about the car part; I did that in an 01 Trans Am, which can do it safely and easily.

yeh, I looked it up a bit more, only a misdemeanor in TN. It can be a felony in VA though if it results in the death of another. I think I just confused it with some other things I've read/learned.

However, everything else I mentioned still pretty much holds true. A reckless charge automatically raises eye brows for most, and is something you don't want, when compared to simple speeding. Hopefully the calibration works for you.

get the calibration done, have her call the commonwealth attorney in charge of traffic and ask an appointment. Call the officer, ask him if he minds the charge being reduced due to the speedo calibration. Usually the cops don't care what happens in court unless you were disrespectful.

Then ask the CA to reduce the charge to speeding 13 miles over withhold adjudication (no points, no record) in exchange for the guilty plea, fines, and fees.

I know right ... hahaha

Yeah, this basically defines you as an SOB, but not in the way that you think, because "you're so strict."

Really, because you're just being an SOB.

How can you admit that you're not a saint and you're "pretty cautious" when it comes to driving fast, and then from the other side of the mouth come out and say people who drive reckless should "HAVE THE HAMMER DROPPED ON THEM."

I think it's BS. Unless you are saying that you never drive 20 over the speed limit (75 in a lot of the highway areas in the DC area). I highly doubt it considering your comment that you're not a saint. You'd basically HAVE to be a saint to never break 75 on those roads with how fast the traffic is moving.

If the cops feel like it, on the wrong day at the wrong time, almost anyone on the highways can get pulled over for reckless just by going the speed of the traffic around them. Period. Ironically, it's often when you ARE driving relatively safely (open road) as opposed to unsafely (crowded traffic) probably because it's easier to catch the culprit and to prosecute.

I think it's better to go by the judge not lest you be judged thing. And in cases of speeding, you can say that it's risky, but I wouldn't go so far to talk about hammers especially when you openly admit to guilt of a similar/same offense.

*As for the thread - the speedometer calibration thing would probably only work within reason. I'm not sure about the wheels thing. One of the things the judge can often use is to say that you were going too fast to not have known better. Keep in mind that in VA it's automatically reckless to go both 20 over AND anything over 80. The reason is because they are basically saying, no matter what, you KNEW you were going over 80 and you shouldn't have.

So much will depend on the judge. It's often just chance on whether it's a good idea to get an attorney, because it will depend on the judge. If you can get an attorney who has a good report with the judge, that's probably best, but you don't know what judge you're going to get yet. Some people say that when they go in and plead "No contest" the judge is lenient, but in Fairfax I'm not sure it will work, and in this case since it's so fast, I'm not sure. If the judge likes the person, though, a LOT can be forgiven based on that.

Hi everyone, thanks for the input. Very much appreciated.

Here are the results from the calibration....

(vehicle speedometer test speed) (actual speed)

15mph- 16.85

25mph- 27.26

35mph- 38.27

45mph- 48.27

55mph- 58.87

65mph- 69.68

The ticket was for 88 mph and the paper they gave me only went to 65 mph. I'm sure theres a way to figure it out but i'm no math expert...lol

Either way not much more than 6 or 7mph which is still reckless.

So Speedo is not the problem she was just speeding. Go to court explain the clean record, do not make excuses, be honest and hope for lienancy.

But she was speeding and a lot so that if the judge decides to not let her off then she has no one to blame but herself.

Hopefully the judge will just knock the reckless off if she is honest that she was speeding.

Archived