Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Reckless Driving....88 in a 55 (fairfax county) calibration update page 5

skins84

Hello everyone, my gf got a reckless driving ticket going 88 in a 55. She's so worried about what's going to happen to her and i'm trying to get an idea if anyone's had this situation. She was driving on 66 in fairfax and going way to fast for some reason.

Does anyone have any recommendations about a lawyer or about what will happen to her at court. Also does getting the speedometer calibrated help in court. She was driving my car which has 22 inch rims and i heard that has an effect of 5-10 mph. Does anyone know where i can get a calibration done in VA?

This is her first ever ticket and she has a clean driving record, 22 yrs old.

Thanks for the hlep.:logo:

I've had two reckless driving tickets (both going 90 on 66). One in Facquier, one in Shenandoah county. The first ticket I got 30 days restricted license (usually it's 60, but my record was spotless) and had to pay about 150 bucks. Second time I just had to pay around $230. You don't necessarily need a lawyer. Just tell her to accept the penalty and to stop speeding. She'll learn her lesson.

first: 88 in a 55 in fairfax is big trouble. she is probably going to lose her license.

second: i've repeatedly heard that speedometer calibration is not an acceptable excuse anymore. HOWEVER, if she is on 22" rims (on a car that likely was calibrated for 17" rims) that would account for a significant difference in speed.

the difference in circumference between a 17" wheel and a 22" wheel is 19.5%, meaning she was actually traveling 19.5% faster than the speedometer was displaying. so if she was going 88mph then her speedometer would have only been registering about 73.5mph. that is still speeding, but it is less than 20mph over the limit, so it would not be reckless. and there is a huge difference between reckless and speeding.

i don't know if a judge would buy that or not, but the math is true. good luck!

They repealed those outrageous fines, but then passed a law that reckless driving is punishable with a minimum mandatory sentence of 1 month in jail. Tell your gf to get a good lawyer.

WTF?

Minimum Mandatory sentence of 1 month in jail??? are u sure about that?

first: 88 in a 55 in fairfax is big trouble. she is probably going to lose her license.

second: i've repeatedly heard that speedometer calibration is not an acceptable excuse anymore. HOWEVER, if she is on 22" rims (on a car that likely was calibrated for 17" rims) that would account for a significant difference in speed.

the difference in circumference between a 17" wheel and a 22" wheel is 19.5%, meaning she was actually traveling 19.5% faster than the speedometer was displaying. so if she was going 88mph then her speedometer would have only been registering about 73.5mph. that is still speeding, but it is less than 20mph over the limit, so it would not be reckless. and there is a huge difference between reckless and speeding.

i don't know if a judge would buy that or not, but the math is true. good luck!

Thanks, i'm actually going today at 2pm to get the calibration done...Hopefully your math is correct...:notworthy

Yeah dude it's messed up. There's a big stink about it in Richmond coming up.

I'm sure in the end it would all be suspended. My ex boyfriend raced an undercover cop in a camaro once and hit over 100, was supposed to spend 30 or so days in jail, but all those days were suspended and he ended up spending a night there.

I have had a lot of experience with this in Fairfax Co. If you bring a lawyer and her record is spotless most likely they will reduce it but you will pay a lot for the lawyer. If you go by yourself it really depends on the judge. She could get it reduced by herself or just pay a fine and keep the 6 points. I would choose a lawyer myself and have had great results with them

I'm sure in the end it would all be suspended. My ex boyfriend raced an undercover cop in a camaro once and hit over 100, was supposed to spend 30 or so days in jail, but all those days were suspended and he ended up spending a night there.

Yeah, the cops are serious about people going high speeds, but this sort of thing doesn't end up being a big deal, typically.

And I was kidding about the minimum mandatory thing... Just messing with you.:silly:

i don't know if a judge would but that or not, but the math is true. good luck!

No way a judge buys that. On an occasion that I was in court, I heard a guy tell the judge that he thought he was only ten over, not twenty. The judge told him it was still speeding, too ****ing bad. Paraphrasing, but you get the picture. MAYBE the judge could throw out the reckless driving, but that is best case and there will still be at least a hefty fine.

BTW, isn't re-calibrating the speedo the first thing you should do when you get retarded-sized rims? :doh:

Did he win? BTW, I think it's entrapment big-time when cops entice people into racing with their unmarked cars. :2cents:

Archived