Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Are you an American?

ljs

What is an American?

An American is not delineated by a particular skin color, or way of life. He is a person from many places, with many shades of skin; of different sizes and varied energies. He has a master’s degree, or he may never have finished high school. He may drive an expensive automobile or perhaps he relies on two mules to carve his living out of the earth. But regardless of what he is, lacing the different physical features together is a bond of strength in tradition, which exemplifies the American way; a way which opens the doors of opportunity to all people who may knock upon them. An American has a spirit which was born when the bells tolled of independence and which has released the adrenaline of his nation, time and time again, when it’s existence was threatened by an aggressor.

An American does not view armed conflict as a means of getting what he wants, but rather as a means of protecting what he has. He is the one who loves the very concept of Peace for all nations, but will not hesitate to fight on the shores of others if required to protect his own. An American sees the know3ledge of experience in his past, feels pride in the accomplishments of the present, and has hope for the future of the world, even when others would view the days to come with dismay. But a realistic American finds no guarantee of freedom or security in the future solely because he has always had it in the past.

An American recognizes the faults of his system and seeks to correct them through a process unknown to many nations; a process which does not promise absolute perfection, but one which allows for peaceful change, if change is needed. That process is democracy, and an American holds that word so dear; that he stands ready at a moments notice to lay down his life for its perpetuation.

An American finds nothing at all unusual about getting cold chills when his flag passes in review, for his flag has always been a source of inspiration; when the smoke cleared over Fort McHenry, when it’s sheen was reflected on the sands of Iwo Jima, and when the colors glistened on he side of the craft which took the first man to the moon. An American sees nothing strange about getting a lump in his throat when the national Anthem is played for one who paid the ultimate price for his freedom. He realizes that the only thing that exceeds that price is the freedom itself. An American never forgets the indebtedness he has because of that sacrifice, for without it, his freedom would only be an unreachable concept in some philosophers mind.

A true American is the essence of pride in a way of life. What is an American you say?

He is fortunate.

~Michael Brown 1991

------Since some people got their panties in a bunch over this, thought I'd add a disclaimer. This is NOT, I repeat, NOT a chain email that i got and simply wanted to pass along. This was something that an employee of mine gave me this morning on real paper from a tree. (even has a nice design of an eagle w/ a flag on the background)

Also, this is not to judge anyone on IF you are a true American, that is for you to decide....It's more of a "hey, stop to remember where we live, what we stand for." type thing. Something to be proud of, to be postive.

The last line is the best..."what is an American? ~ He's fortunate."

I was in a cab recently and the cab driver was fron Nigeria. I had used this same driver before, so he remembered me and struck up a conversation. He was naturally talking about Obama being elected president and how glad he was that Bush was out of office, etc, etc. Then he started talking about how much he's changed since coming to America from Nigeria. He talked about how, in Nigeria, the only people who lived the way he's living now were people like college professors or successful professionals. He said that he sometimes thinks what he might have ended up like had he stayed there, or even if he would still have been alive.

Then he kept saying that "this place, right here, is heaven...this place is heaven," and how people need to realize how fortunate they are to live in "such a place as America". There was such a forceful sincerity to his voice that it made me start reflecting on all the things about this country that I just take for granted, and I said I agreed with him, that the United States of America is one amazing place to live, it really is. It may have its problems, but they don't detract from how incredible a country this is to live in, along with many other countries for that matter. It was just sobering to hear it from someone who you could tell was deeply affected by those same things I tend to take for granted.

Then he started talking about how much he's changed since coming to America from Nigeria. He talked about how, in Nigeria, the only people who lived the way he's living now were people like college professors or successful professionals.

Or a Nigerian Counterfieter / Internet Scammer

so true. My sister just returned from 3 weeks in ethiopia...where a shower once a week is a treasure. She said that everyone there was very friendly and welcoming. Literally the first step she took back onto American soil, people were jerks. She stated that the airport in DC is the worst when it comes to people being nice...they aren't.

I guess when you are used to a shower everyday, and you ***** about your 50 inch plasma tv not working....is a lil different when you are just happy to FINALLY have enough running water to enjoy a shower..this week.

wow....someone woke up on the grumpy side of the bed today.

Not grumpy at all, just don't really see the point of the thread. You didn't even comment on the essay. It has a nice sentiment, but in the end it's just really just puff.

He didn't get a shower last week.

haha....oh so probably true. It's obvious who doesn't really appreciate our country...who probably takes for granted everything we have and just pops into a thread for the one and only purpose of being a total jerk.

Oh well...good thing my American Pride will not waiver just cause someone had his cherious pissed in....

I can tell you that at the end of survival school, and several days of POW camp...the American flag is the most comforting thing you could ever imagine seeing...Can't even imagine how it is for the guys who go through it for real.

I guess when you are used to a shower everyday, and you ***** about your 50 inch plasma tv not working....is a lil different when you are just happy to FINALLY have enough running water to enjoy a shower..this week.

If this is your point, then maybe the essay should be entitled "Are you a citizen of a non-Third World Country," because there's nothing strictly American about running water...

so true. My sister just returned from 3 weeks in ethiopia...where a shower once a week is a treasure. She said that everyone there was very friendly and welcoming. Literally the first step she took back onto American soil, people were jerks. She stated that the airport in DC is the worst when it comes to people being nice...they aren't.

On the plus side, at least there haven't been any genocides in America in the last 5 years. Link.

Maybe the people in Ethiopia were simply happy that all the minorities were finally dead. But I guess Americans are the bad guys because they have more disposable income.

As Califan007 (sort of) stated, many of us take so many things for granted, it's embarrassing.

This country is amazing even with its fault. We could just be so much better.

To my reading, pretty much every (reasonable) post being critical of the country is prefaced with what you just said. I think it kinda goes without saying although it doesn't hurt to say it from time to time.

I'd also make the argument that the incredible amount of scrutiny we give ourselves makes us better. So what might sometimes sound like complaining also serves as debate for a way forward.

To my reading, pretty much every (reasonable) post being critical of the country is prefaced with what you just said. I think it kinda goes without saying although it doesn't hurt to say it from time to time.

I'd also make the argument that the incredible amount of scrutiny we give ourselves makes us better. So what might sometimes sound like complaining also serves as debate for a way forward.

Thank You, on the first part.

I totally agree with the second part.

It is not complaining, it is trying to make us better.

Debate, and find out what is the best for ALL of us.

Personally, I do not have a problem with that.

If this is your point, then maybe the essay should be entitled "Are you a citizen of a non-Third World Country," because there's nothing strictly American about running water...

clap clap, you won the jerk award today...Good job young man...:applause:

:jerk:

I live here and I like it here, and I'm sure its probably the best place to live for prosperity, but if being an American means that I have to be nationalistic, then I guess I'm not one.

I'm curious, please explain. I know what the word means, but are you saying that there is 0% of you that is nationalistic about America?

Archived